70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's I'm itching to get a GB build going for this year so combined with wanting to build an Ilyushin "Beagle" for the first time

since drowning Airfix's kit in gloss green paint back in the seventies I have Trumpeter's 1/72 kit which includes Russian and

Polish schemes as both air arms used the type(but not perhaps the variant) beyond the seventies am I eligible?

Given that several of the nations in Eastern Europe operated the Il-28 during the 70s it is an eligible subject for our GB Steve.so long as there is a high likelihood the particular machine your model represents was still in service at the time in question.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Col. said:

Given that several of the nations in Eastern Europe operated the Il-28 during the 70s it is an eligible subject for our GB Steve.so long as there is a high likelihood the particular machine your model represents was still in service at the time in question.

Thank's Col I'll dig a bit deeper I suspect the Russians may have retired their's in the late sixties but think the Poles may have soldiered

on that said there are a good few aircraft on the "want to re-visit" list Mig 21,or even F104/F100 that went to Nato's southern partners

with those well worn schemes.

20 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Col I'll dig a bit deeper I suspect the Russians may have retired their's in the late sixties but think the Poles may have soldiered

on that said there are a good few aircraft on the "want to re-visit" list Mig 21,or even F104/F100 that went to Nato's southern partners

with those well worn schemes.

From what I understand the Soviet Union kept some operational well into the 80s but I'm not sure in what capacity.

If, however, you'd rather pick a MiG-21 or some well worn examples of the F-104 and F-100 I'd certainly not discourage you :) 

• Like 1

So many fabulous Group Builds this year, so little time!

Oh, and I have an Airfix Victor B.2 which I really want to get started on :)

So a quick history search and the Victor B.2 with Blue Steel was history by 1970. A white Victor B.2 definitely doesn't fit this GB!

I am still thinking F-84F Thunderstreak or RF-84 Thunderflash in 1/48th scale. I need to check my sources but I don't think anyone operated the F-84F by 1970 but I could be surprised. The RF-84F Thunderflash was definitely still in use with at least one U.S. Air National Guard unit in 1970 and I believe a few European air forces. More research needed however I do have an old Heller RF-84F in the stash as well as several 'Streaks by Monogram and Italeri so hopefully I can find something to add to the GB.

Michael

• Like 2

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

someone woke up happy....or they suddenly realised where they are!  :bleh: :D

Bit of both really. Helped by the realisation that I can build my Gannet! :thumbsup:

When we do the 60s GB I've got plenty of choice, but only two for the 70s and one of them is going in the DeHavilland GB. For a while I thought I had to buy something. :boom: which meant my stash needs to be bigger to cover all possibilities. :rofl:

• Like 2

I'm in. I've been thinking about what I might build for this GB for a while. I'd more or less made up my mind on a 1/48 Lightning F.2A, then the postman turned up with the new 1/48 Yak-28P. The kit includes two options for aircraft of the 174th GvIAP at Monchegorsk, which is on the Kola peninsula so west of the Urals, in the 70s. So it's going to be the Yak-28. I'm currently working on a 1/72 Tu-134 and will carry on with that at the same time, so I might be quite slow with the Yak-28, but I reckon I can get it done by June. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Bit of both really. Helped by the realisation that I can build my Gannet! :thumbsup:

When we do the 60s GB I've got plenty of choice, but only two for the 70s and one of them is going in the DeHavilland GB. For a while I thought I had to buy something. :boom: which meant my stash needs to be bigger to cover all possibilities. :rofl:

just add to the stash, a future GB or even a possible future GB is a perfect reason to add to the stash! When it comes time to explain all those new packages to SHMBO you have a perfectly reasonable  reason for your new purchase!!   Well sometimes!  :fight:

Oh and it now looks like it was a good idea to swap builds, as from mid March i'm on a leisurely 7 week cruise from Korea to the NW of Aust. on a giant LPG production rig!!! I wonder if they'll allow me to build models on it???

• Like 3

Spent nearly an hour looking at info on different boxings of some of the stuff I fancy entering,F-100,F104 etc but the various italeri

or Revell boxing's don't include 70's schemes so AM decals may be the way or I could go armour with Tamiya's Cheiftain5!

• Like 2

Rich, that sounds like fun. Does your mum think that you play the piano in a house of ill-repute? (That may be a little bit obscure, sorry.)

Sounds like my ideal job - weeks at sea, with limited phone service. I knew that I should've paid more attention in school! (I'm sick to death of fixing broken things in coal mines. Oh well.)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

just add to the stash, a future GB or even a possible future GB is a perfect reason to add to the stash! When it comes time to explain all those new packages to SHMBO you have a perfectly reasonable  reason for your new purchase!!   Well sometimes!  :fight:

Oh and it now looks like it was a good idea to swap builds, as from mid March i'm on a leisurely 7 week cruise from Korea to the NW of Aust. on a giant LPG production rig!!! I wonder if they'll allow me to build models on it???

Actually the Ex-Girlie is on the other side of the Planet to me so is now cool with my stash. She's in Alice Springs working as a Nurse after having enough of Management Consultants in our NHS.

If it's not producing you should be OK model-making as long as you're not meant to be doing important stuff like making sure she doesn't hit anything?  

• Like 1

Well I came out of my LMS with Eduard's weekend Mig 21PF and lo and behold the two options are a 1968 and 1980 scheme so I need 

to find out what I can do the all silver machine which I like the look of might be eligable if the Czech invasion ID stripes are not used that

said with Russian aircraft it sometimes only comes to finding a correct bort code.The seventies eh' the decade model companies forgot!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well I came out of my LMS with Eduard's weekend Mig 21PF and lo and behold the two options are a 1968 and 1980 scheme so I need 

to find out what I can do the all silver machine which I like the look of might be eligable if the Czech invasion ID stripes are not used that

said with Russian aircraft it sometimes only comes to finding a correct bort code.The seventies eh' the decade model companies forgot!

:hmmm: Sounds as if Eduard were deliberately trying to tease you :lol: 

Given that aircraft didn't tend to change colour schemes and markings too often during their service lives I'd say the Soviet one minus the red ID stripes would be a safe bet. Unless you want to save it for the 60's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact GB of course...

• Like 2

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Im not ready for this!!

As ever, I will carry on attempting to clear the bench so I can drag at least one of about a dozen out of the stash to qualify and maybe even finish something... How about a 1/48 Hunter FR10? Or perhaps a Harrier GR1? ooooh, maybe a camo hawk with LAG belly...? Or a miG-21... or a 104... or.... or.........

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Im not ready for this!!

As ever, I will carry on attempting to clear the bench so I can drag at least one of about a dozen out of the stash to qualify and maybe even finish something... How about a 1/48 Hunter FR10? Or perhaps a Harrier GR1? ooooh, maybe a camo hawk with LAG belly...? Or a miG-21... or a 104... or.... or.........

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes... can you see a pattern developing here? Be careful though as Enzo will be along soon to say, "Do them all!" ;) 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Im not ready for this!!

Do them all! :wicked:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Col. said:

:hmmm: Sounds as if Eduard were deliberately trying to tease you :lol: 

Given that aircraft didn't tend to change colour schemes and markings too often during their service lives I'd say the Soviet one minus the red ID stripes would be a safe bet. Unless you want to save it for the 60's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact GB of course...

If no one object's that's sound's like a plan Col trawling the net shows identical aircraft with the simple soviet marking's right through

to the eighties the sixties GB will be an excuse to finally build that 1/32 Hunter sat on top of the wardrobe.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rob G said:

Rich, that sounds like fun. Does your mum think that you play the piano in a house of ill-repute? (That may be a little bit obscure, sorry.)

Sounds like my ideal job - weeks at sea, with limited phone service. I knew that I should've paid more attention in school! (I'm sick to death of fixing broken things in coal mines. Oh well.)

well that one did go right over my head.....

my day job when not galavanting across the high seas is actually at a coal mine north of Emerald!

• Like 1

@trickyrich Emerald? Well, it's a small world. I tend to run around a tiny bit further north than that, but there's been times when we've worked out of Emerald. I actually thought you were in northern WA for work. The reference was to the book 'Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm the Piano Player etc'. Fun read about oil rig adventures. Which aren't gas rigs, but ... I know, tenuous connection. I thought that you may have read it. :)

@Enzo Matrix It may be better, but I'd say that it doesn't pay as well (does anything pay better than politics?)

30 minutes ago, Rob G said:

@trickyrich Emerald? Well, it's a small world. I tend to run around a tiny bit further north than that, but there's been times when we've worked out of Emerald. I actually thought you were in northern WA for work. The reference was to the book 'Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm the Piano Player etc'. Fun read about oil rig adventures. Which aren't gas rigs, but ... I know, tenuous connection. I thought that you may have read it. :)

@Enzo Matrix It may be better, but I'd say that it doesn't pay as well (does anything pay better than politics?)

arrr of course, have heard of that book!

I seem to go where my company sends me, I did spend nearly 2 years in the Pilbara on a construction site for an LNG plant before the Emeraldish gig. After my pleasure cruise I'll be back in Qld for a bit but there's talk I'm heading back to northern NSW.

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

arrr of course, have heard of that book!

I seem to go where my company sends me, I did spend nearly 2 years in the Pilbara on a construction site for an LNG plant before the Emeraldish gig. After my pleasure cruise I'll be back in Qld for a bit but there's talk I'm heading back to northern NSW.

Get a copy and read it on the tow. It'll fill a few hours (the follow-up book 'This Is Not a Drill' is good too, but not as good, and has a different flavour.)

Nice to get around (listen up kids, pay attention in school and you'll get to travel for work). At least the NSW gig will be closer to home!

• Like 1

Small world indeed - Ive spent a bit of time around Meekathara, Mount Magnet, Murchison, that way on out on "Wildlife Reduction Projects".

If you ever saw an orange beach buggy thing out there covered with jerry cans etc, that was us. :)

Now then... Im looking at these in 48th:

A-10 (Tamiya)

MiG-21SMT (Eduard Profi)

MiG-29UB (Academy)

TF-104G & F-104G (Hasegawa & Eduard)

Harrier GR1 (Monogram but no decals)

Phantom FGR 2 (Hasegawa/Revell x2)

Jaguar GR1, A & T2/T4 (Revell & 2x KH)

Su-24 (Trumpeter)

Hawk (Aifix Red Arrows boxing)

Hunter (Italeri) (Leaving this as well as a 104 for the 60s do I reckon)

Im leaning towards the A-10 seeing as Harriers are a plenty all ready. But what scheme? I believe the two tone grey gave way to the charcoal lizard camo in 1979, so I have another decision to make now. Doh.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stevej60 said:

If no one object's that's sound's like a plan Col trawling the net shows identical aircraft with the simple soviet marking's right through

to the eighties the sixties GB will be an excuse to finally build that 1/32 Hunter sat on top of the wardrobe.

21 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Small world indeed - Ive spent a bit of time around Meekathara, Mount Magnet, Murchison, that way on out on "Wildlife Reduction Projects".

If you ever saw an orange beach buggy thing out there covered with jerry cans etc, that was us. :)

Now then... Im looking at these in 48th:

A-10 (Tamiya)

MiG-21SMT (Eduard Profi)

MiG-29UB (Academy)

TF-104G & F-104G (Hasegawa & Eduard)

Harrier GR1 (Monogram but no decals)

Phantom FGR 2 (Hasegawa/Revell x2)

Jaguar GR1, A & T2/T4 (Revell & 2x KH)

Su-24 (Trumpeter)

Hawk (Aifix Red Arrows boxing)

Hunter (Italeri) (Leaving this as well as a 104 for the 60s do I reckon)

Im leaning towards the A-10 seeing as Harriers are a plenty all ready. But what scheme? I believe the two tone grey gave way to the charcoal lizard camo in 1979, so I have another decision to make now. Doh.

I too can foresee a few Hunters in the 60s edition gents :) 

Hmm, no Phantom in this GB yet, sure there's always room for more Harriers though; they're small and don't need runways so hardly take up any space ;) 

Sure a UK or German based A-10 will be a grand addition as well though.