70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

awwww crap!!! :doh:

just seen the dates for this GB!!!! Right slap bang in the middle of  the F-16 & F-111 SGTB's, both of which I'm hosting as well!!!

Oh well there goes the idea of the 1/72nd OAS-1 Missile boat! It's just tooo huge to even contemplate, so it'll have to be the Su-11 conversion! Time to go shopping on evilBay, need an Su-7 donor, least they're nice and cheap.....plus may look at some other AM stuff for it as well! Oh Santa!!!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

awwww crap!!! :doh:

just seen the dates for this GB!!!! Right slap bang in the middle of  the F-16 & F-111 SGTB's, both of which I'm hosting as well!!!

Oh well there goes the idea of the 1/72nd OAS-1 Missile boat! It's just tooo huge to even contemplate, so it'll have to be the Su-11 conversion! Time to go shopping on evilBay, need an Su-7 donor, least they're nice and cheap.....plus may look at some other AM stuff for it as well! Oh Santa!!!!!

It is a bit busy with GBs for next year with plenty great and tempting subjects. Pity we have to use up valuable modelling time working :( 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Col. said:

It is a bit busy with GBs for next year with plenty great and tempting subjects. Pity we have to use up valuable modelling time working :( 

just updated my GB calendar for next year.....now wish I hadn't!! :doh: From February to November is going to be VERY busy, with the mid part of the year being a nightmare!!!!

I suspect there'll be quite a few other members looking at their calendars and wondering what they've gotten themselves into!!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

just updated my GB calendar for next year.....now wish I hadn't!! :doh: From February to November is going to be VERY busy, with the mid part of the year being a nightmare!!!!

I suspect there'll be quite a few other members looking at their calendars and wondering what they've gotten themselves into!!

I'm glad you mentioned the F-111 STGB.  I wanted to keep tabs on that, and had missed that on my spreadsheet.  It's on there now...but it's not likely going to even get off the ground as it overlaps w/ NATO/Warsaw, Russia, & Prototypes of which I have assigned priority if I can find the time.  :blink: 

And with my build rate.....:tumble:

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, helios16v said:

I'm glad you mentioned the F-111 STGB.  I wanted to keep tabs on that, and had missed that on my spreadsheet.  It's on there now...but it's not likely going to even get off the ground as it overlaps w/ NATO/Warsaw, Russia, & Prototypes of which I have assigned priority if I can find the time.  :blink: 

And with my build rate.....:tumble:

Well you can always combine the Nato and the F-111?!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Woohoo! :yahoo:

Good luck Stu. I've not seen one of those kits in about 20 years.

I keep a pretty eagle eye on eBay and they come up occasionally, I'll probably have to just buy an J or another S (or use the one in the stash) and source the d specific parts 

Forgive my ignorance but did the F100 carry on into the 70s in French service?

That is interesting as I think it's a handsome aircraft but even more so in French markings. I was planning on building a Trumpeter Su 9 but that may now change! So many subjects to choose from.

thanks

James

19 minutes ago, franky boy said:

That is interesting as I think it's a handsome aircraft but even more so in French markings. I was planning on building a Trumpeter Su 9 but that may now change! So many subjects to choose from.

thanks

James

Yes, the f-100 retired from french service in '78 

edit fournd this table of the units 

Unit Sqn Name Station Years Armée de l'Air
EC 1/3 Navarre Lahr AB 1959-1966
EC 2/3 Champagne Lahr AB 1959-1966
EC 1/11 Roussillon Bremgarten AB 1958-1967
EC 1/11 Roussillon Toul-Rosieres 1967-1976
EC 2/11 Vosges Bremgarten AB 1958-1967
EC 2/11 Vosges Toul-Rosieres 1967-1977
EC 3/11 Corse Colmar-Meyenheim 1966-1967
EC 3/11 Corse Toul-Rosieres 1967-1975
EC 4/11 Jura Djibouti 1973-1978
Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Either a 27R or a 28 will be most welcome by me Giorgio but if you can find a 27R that was likely to have been in service during the 70's I'l be happy to see you build it.

Should I not find markings for a 27R in the correct timeline, I'll still build it for the "from Russia with love" GB.

• Like 1

Just to check, would a F-14 Tomcat from VF-84 be eligible? The squadron was aboard the Nimitz when she was on cruise in the Med and called at ports of NATO members namely Naples, Italy and Athens, Greece. 

I'm simply looking for an excuse to build the new Tamiya Tomcat in those awesome Jolly Rogers markings. 

Mark

• Like 1

7 hours ago, franky boy said:

thanks

James

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

The Djibouti based aircraft eventually received Vietnam style camouflage - although I'm not certain the colours or indeed camouflage pattern match the US pattern.  Some camouflaged aircraft were of course seen in Europe.

I believe some NM/Silver finish aircraft lingered until the end of service.  Colourful aircraft.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, franky boy said:

thanks

James

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

1 hour ago, Wez said:

The Djibouti based aircraft eventually received Vietnam style camouflage - although I'm not certain the colours or indeed camouflage pattern match the US pattern.  Some camouflaged aircraft were of course seen in Europe.

I believe some NM/Silver finish aircraft lingered until the end of service.  Colourful aircraft.

From what I can see the French aircraft were camouflaged in a pattern very similar to the USAF aircraft with plenty fading and weathering showing on them.

2 hours ago, madcat911 said:

Just to check, would a F-14 Tomcat from VF-84 be eligible? The squadron was aboard the Nimitz when she was on cruise in the Med and called at ports of NATO members namely Naples, Italy and Athens, Greece. 

I'm simply looking for an excuse to build the new Tamiya Tomcat in those awesome Jolly Rogers markings. 

Mark

So long as the subject operated for a period of at least a few months within the geographic area and timeline of our GB then it is eligible. With this in mind it sounds as if your Tomcat sits well within these criteria :) 

2 hours ago, madcat911 said:

Mark

Med deployments aboard the Nimitz in the '70s, in case needed or wanted info: December '77-July '78 and again from September '79 to May '80.  Both deployments while attached with CVW-8 (Tailcode AJ).  ;)

http://www.gonavy.jp/CVW-AJf.html

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Med deployments aboard the Nimitz in the '70s, in case needed or wanted info: December '77-July '78 and again from September '79 to May '80.  Both deployments while attached with CVW-8 (Tailcode AJ).  ;)

http://www.gonavy.jp/CVW-AJf.html

In both these cases I feel the deployments are long enough to be eligible.

Looking for a bit of advice...

I've been building a few tanks of late and was hoping to build some for this GB.  On the NATO side it will be a Chieftain.   For the WarPac side, which would be more suitable: a T-55 or a T-72?

• Like 1

Looks like they would both be suitable.  Through the '70s it looks like the T-54/5 were the bread & butter of Soviet armored divisions.  The T-72 was the replacement for the T-55 (entering service in the early '70s), but would not have fully replaced it for probably a couple decades considering the T-55 was built in Poland up until '79, in USSR until '81, and in Czech until '83.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/T-55

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Sounds good to me.  Thanks for the info.  I think I'll be going for a T-55.  

Or you could build the T-72 for the '70s NATO/Warsaw, and then a T-55 for the inevitable '60s NATO/Warsaw.....

Just saying.  :wicked:

• Like 2

French F-100s used a USAF inspired camo with French colours. Differences between the two set of colours were not great, roughly speaking the french darker green was more brown, almost a chocolate colour, and the lower surfaces were in a light blue grey instead of the USAF off white colour. The other two colours were similar to the USAF ones.

I don't know much about tanks, but wouldn't a T-62 also be an option between the 55 and the 72 ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, helios16v said:

Or you could build the T-72 for the '70s NATO/Warsaw, and then a T-55 for the inevitable '60s NATO/Warsaw.....

Just saying.  :wicked:

Once the 70's edition is well underway I'll consider its popularity and begin testing the enthusiasm for a 60's edition :) 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

Once the 70's edition is well underway I'll consider its popularity and begin testing the enthusiasm for a 60's edition :) 

It's the 1950's edition I'm looking forward to the most - lots of wonderful Sabres, Vampires, Meteors, Hunters, MiG-15 and 17 - what's not to like?

• Like 2