70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

14 hours ago, SoftScience said:

From my understanding Kittyhawk and enjoyment aren't always synonymous. :)

Though I've seen these built up into very nice kits.

And I do like the Jaguar in green and gray

There are a few build threads on here that are rather useful for the KH Jag. The biggest issue with it is the obviously incorrect pylons for an RAF aircraft, but with some knifework you should be ok.
The wing shape was another bug bear that people were up in arms about, but its a simple fix that I covered here along with some other fiddly bits:

Remember: Deep breaths and lots of dry fitting! :)

• Like 1

Well gang, here we are after the opening week of hostilities and battle lines are becoming more concrete. As it stands at the moment OrBats are;

NATO have 27 subjects engaged. Of these 24 are air assets and the remaining 3 AFV.

Warsaw Pact have 17 subjects with only 9 air assets, although of the 4 AFV units one is a SA-6 SAM system so that may level the playing field slightly ;) , but still hold a total advantage at sea with 4 subjects.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Well gang, here we are after the opening week of hostilities and battle lines are becoming more concrete. As it stands at the moment OrBats are;

NATO have 27 subjects engaged. Of these 24 are air assets and the remaining 3 AFV.

Warsaw Pact have 17 subjects with only 9 air assets, although of the 4 AFV units one is a SA-6 SAM system so that may level the playing field slightly ;) , but still hold a total advantage at sea with 4 subjects.

I have to stop reading this!!!

All it's doing is tempting me to bring out some of my "heavy metal" stuff namely Su-17/22M3 to help stem the tide of NATO aircraft! Which I can't because I I won't have the time to finish it......which is why I'm building my funny wee French AFV which goes as fast backwards as it does forwards (????) instead of me OSA-1 Missile boat!!

• Like 2

hmmm my plan to build my wee EBR-75 EL-10 recon AFV has taken a bit of a hit!

DSCF4375_zpsnswtcgue.jpg

There were two variations of the EBR-75 (as in 75mm), the FL-10 with the extension to the rear of the turret and the FL-11 which didn't have it and sort of looked like a dome. More research shows these models were retired in the early 60's, with only the FL-11 version being up-gunned to a 90mm cannon ( referred to as an EBR-90). So unfortunately this build won't happen....will have to wait for the 60's one!

So will have to go look at the stash again!  The siren's song of the OSA-1 is still calling! :wall:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Col. said:

Don't tell anyone @trickyrich but that's exactly why I posted it up ;) Trying to see if I can engage more troops in the battle :D 

A little Soviet selection has taken note... :)

P1110604%20Large.jpg

• Like 7

I'm saving my Mig 21 for the from Russia with love build...

If I get time at the end I will build my 1:200 Dragon Bear-D as a little light releif.

I want it to be wheels up and posed at a suitable distance from a Phantom diorama I have planned.

1:48 Phantom in low Viz 111 colours.  1:72 Black Mike Phantom 1:200 Bear D.  

I like the idea of Black Mike on QRA even though I know this did not happen. :-)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I'm saving my Mig 21 for the from Russia with love build...

If I get time at the end I will build my 1:200 Dragon Bear-D as a little light releif.

I want it to be wheels up and posed at a suitable distance from a Phantom diorama I have planned.

1:48 Phantom in low Viz 111 colours.  1:72 Black Mike Phantom 1:200 Bear D.  

I like the idea of Black Mike on QRA even though I know this did not happen. :-)

Sounds impressive!

Ive just found out the Su-24 isnt really eligible for the 70s GB. It wasnt officially cleared for service until 83 apparently, but was actually in use a bit before then - the first production model having flown in 79. Ah well, saves me some trouble with that great lump I suppose. Unless I can find something that says otherwise of course - I was sure they were in use in the late 70s though... hmm.

Guess the 21 could be done, its just that theres millions of the things, bit boring, but hey ho.

Scratch all that - I was looking at MiG-29 notes!! I think a beer is required, been one of those days.
The Fencer is perfectly eligible afterall. Ha, not too sure if Im pleased about that or not, its a scary looking (and pricey) kit.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 1:34 PM, Mountain goat said:

Hi Tim

-I'd go for the Kovozavody Prostejov kit, accurate and detailed, but somewhat of a chore to build apparently.

NVA-LSK (E-German AF) MiG-23MF (as the one in your pic) were delivered in the 1970s in overall aircraft grey and were subsequently camouflaged but from when exactly I can't say for sure. From pictures and articles I assume it's the period around 1980. Later versions such as the ML were delivered in factory-applied camouflage. 

-Jay

Had a quick look, nice build by Jabba. Got a Hase kit, with no instructions (will find on the Net). Not sure of the colours for 70's, as you say I either go for a grey or the camo. Have to reach out to Jabba ref dates. Now gotta look for some DDR decals.

Edited by Tim Moff

On 2/5/2017 at 6:54 PM, Col. said:

Was tempted to do a MiG-23 myself for similar reasons so go for it Tim :clap: 

If I remember there was some discussion about the change in camouflage styles during the 80's edition of this GB so might be worth having a search there as well.

Just had a look - not too much detail, will ask Jabba! Got a Hase kit cheap in the end, no instructions (will find some) - look out for some decals now!

I fancy a second entry once the T-72 is complete; this time an aircraft from the other side of the fence. I've only ever built one jet before (GR3 in last years MiGB GB) so fancy having a go at another.

Could anyone tell me if the 'Italeri 1156 F-14A Tomcat' would qualify out of the box (the decals are for Eisenhower or Nimitz) ?

Sorry, my subject knowledge is minimal 

Cheers

8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

I fancy a second entry once the T-72 is complete; this time an aircraft from the other side of the fence. I've only ever built one jet before (GR3 in last years MiGB GB) so fancy having a go at another.

Could anyone tell me if the 'Italeri 1156 F-14A Tomcat' would qualify out of the box (the decals are for Eisenhower or Nimitz) ?

Cheers

Can't say my knowledge of the subject is any better but I'm sure others will know. Failing that a look at the kit decal instructions and cross-referencing with the ship deployments will provide the answers :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Col. said:

Can't say my knowledge of the subject is any better but I'm sure others will know. Failing that a look at the kit decal instructions and cross-referencing with the ship deployments will provide the answers :) 

Thanks Col.

If anyone knows of any jets that will work straight out of the box, I'll probably go shopping :)

Cheers

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Jaguar came in the mail today. Very impressive kit. I'll start later this week. I have an almost complete corsair to get off the desk.

As posted in Bodmins thread, theres a load of info and links on the first page (also covering the Kitty Hawk "issues") in this build -

I would add a tub of Will To Live Cream to your list of wants for the KH build though. ;) Good luck!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Cheers

Gotta love a Tomcat! And the kit decals are fine for the period in question as USS Nimitz and VF-84 toured the Med in 1976 as did VMFA-333 who accompanied them, and they flew F-4J Phantoms! Very tempting! It also helps that VF-84 have one of my favourite Tomcat unit markings.

Go for it! ( providing it gets the nod from Col)

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Gotta love a Tomcat! And the kit decals are fine for the period in question as USS Nimitz and VF-74 toured the Med in 1976 as did VMFA-333 who accompanied them, and they flew F-4J Phantoms! Very tempting! It also helps that VF-74 have one of my favourite Tomcat unit markings.

Go for it! ( providing it gets the nod from Col)

Craig.

Thanks MM - However, I may have just acquired a Phantom F-4J instead :whistle: 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Er - No - Either VF-84 or VMFA-451 :sad:

Please tell me these are OK for the GB  :worry:

Not for VMFA-451 I'm afraid, but VF-84 are definitely in, they flew from the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt before the unit converted to the Tomcat (would still like to see you build this one!) and moved to the USS Nimitz.

3 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Is it too late to join the GB? And would a Type 21 frigate meet the parameters? Came into service in the 70s right?

You'd be most welcome to join in with one of those :D