HMS Spartan SSN with DDS - 1/350 scale conversion

This is my conversion of the Airfix HMS Trafalgar into the earlier Swiftsure class sub HMS Spartan.

This sub was fitted with a Dry Deck Shelter (DDS) for covert operations with the Special Boat Squadron (SBS).

I was inspired by this series of photos - the only ones I have ever seen of the DDS.

On my model the hull is shortened by 7mm from the Trafalgar kit, the single side vents are replaced by twin vents and the rudder is shortened by approx 5mm - all to make a Swiftsure class sub.

For HMS Spartan, the decking behind the sail is extended to port and a scratch-built DDS is fitted - as well as a bathtub-shaped bulge on the starboard flank.

I have tried to replicated the missing anechoic tiles seen in the photos when she was operating in Brazil......

350-HMS%20Spartan_11.jpg

350-HMS%20Spartan_12.jpg

350-HMS%20Spartan_13.jpg

Two 1/350 scale crew figures are added to give scale....

350-HMS%20Spartan_14.jpg

Clseup showing the DDS on the extended decking.....

350-HMS%20Spartan_15.jpg

Starboard view showing the DDS, rear 'bathtub', twin vents and general scruffy appearance of this boat.

350-HMS%20Spartan_16.jpg

I do wish Airfix would follow up their Trafalgar with some more submarine models - especially WWII types.

Now, where is that photo of HMS Astute fitted with a DDS ????

Ken

• Like 7

Great photos of Astute Richard - complete with its 'Mini Sub' disguised as a DDS :analintruder: - good job we don't rely on the tabloids for facts.

I'm slowly collecting pics - unlike Spartan, there are a good few out there.

For a 'stealthy' submarine that is supposed to go out of its way to avoid detection, HMS Astute is certainly in the news a lot.

All I need now is another Hobby Boss kit of Astute.

Ken