Eduard - leaflet for distributors

172flogger

On 2/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, DominikS said:

Only the Spitfire Mk.Vbs which were built as Cannon Spitfires Mk.I (the famous photos of Spitfire Mk.V QJ-S). Generally, don't trust Eduard with the information about Spitfires.

I have the IIb kit now, all the parts to make a Vb are on the Sprues.

57 minutes ago, Wuger91 said:

May leaflet from Eduard https://www.eduard.com/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2021-05en.pdf

82104 Mustang Mk.IV1/48 ProfiPACK

82139 Fw 190F-81/48 ProfiPACK

82165 Bf 109G-21/48 ProfiPACK

7406 Albatros D.V1/72 Weekend edition

Oh noes, Max Müller’s AND a Jasta 26 machine, I shall be forced to buy at least two.

• 5 weeks later...

June 2021 edition of the Eduard Leaflet https://www.eduard.com/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2021-06en.pdf

News

82154 Spitfire Mk.IIb1/48 ProfiPACK

82121 Tempest Mk.V series 1 1/48 ProfiPACK Re-release

70143 MiG-21PF1/72 ProfiPACK Re-release

2137 DESERT BABES1/72 Limited edition

84174 Bf 109G-10 Erla1/48 Weekend edition

7407 Fokker D.VII (OAW) 1/72 Weekend edition

Have fun

Eduard releases have become boring. Spits,Messys,190s,Mustang,Migs. Reshuffle and deal again. On top of that,limited editions have become like Profipack editions with a different top box and some extra decal schemes.

Only interesting releases are limited editions of other brands reboxed kits, and even those lost quantity of goodies in the box but high prices are still the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

Eduard releases have become boring. Spits,Messys,190s,Mustang,Migs. Reshuffle and deal again. On top of that,limited editions have become like Profipack editions with a different top box and some extra decal schemes.

Only interesting releases are limited editions of other brands reboxed kits, and even those lost quantity of goodies in the box but high prices are still the same.

Pretty much the same, here.

They lost my interest when:

1st- they put the brakes on how many goodies they provide in their limited edition reboxed kits, since the Tornado F3's one, it's a real letdown.

2nd- they decided to print decals in-house, where of course it doesn't match Cartograf quality, but it's just not good.

3rd- some recent brassin products really lack quality. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, plasticguy said:

Pretty much the same, here.

They lost my interest when:

1st- they put the brakes on how many goodies they provide in their limited edition reboxed kits, since the Tornado F3's one, it's a real letdown.

2nd- they decided to print decals in-house, where of course it doesn't match Cartograf quality, but it's just not good.

3rd- some recent brassin products really lack quality. 

I’d continue paying what I was paying for kits that include Cartograf decals. I am very disappointed with their own decals.

• Like 5

I'd also support the return of Cartograf!

All the above is a bit my feeling as well ( few new own interesting kits, lack of content in the Limited Editions...) 

Can't be all due to their fire in Dec....

The 

Will continue to support them  lot if stuff is simply great!

Love most if their modern weapons sets, as they come with adequate decals AND great detail!

• Like 1

What's wrong with the decals? There were some early issues (like missing an extra layer of white in the case of Eiko, IIRC), but these have been long since ironed out. The decals I have look excellent to naked eye and you can even easily remove the carrier film if you wish so (though this is officially not supported and rarely, if ever, needed). 

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

I'd also support the return of Cartograf!

All the above is a bit my feeling as well ( few new own interesting kits, lack of content in the Limited Editions...) 

Can't be all due to their fire in Dec....

The 

Will continue to support them  lot if stuff is simply great!

Love most if their modern weapons sets, as they come with adequate decals AND great detail!

I buy their overtrees and detail sets separately now, I avoid the kits with decals and instructions now.

16 hours ago, ptarmigan said:

What's wrong with the decals? There were some early issues (like missing an extra layer of white in the case of Eiko, IIRC), but these have been long since ironed out. The decals I have look excellent to naked eye and you can even easily remove the carrier film if you wish so (though this is officially not supported and rarely, if ever, needed). 

Initial releases were out of register, then the decals were so thin they were tearing, to counter this Eduard added a thick clear coat. Which modelers soon discovered could be stripped, but it is a risky process that could result in tears or decals lifting. Too risky IMHO.

I love their research and decal selection, but I’ll no longer use their decals.

20 hours ago, ptarmigan said:

Besides of what was said above, Eduard's non-Cartograf decals don't let you move them after they're in the model's surface, something that doesn't happen with Cartograf decals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Besides of what was said above, Eduard's non-Cartograf decals don't let you move them after they're in the model's surface, something that doesn't happen with Cartograf decals.

So it's not just my imagination! I'm currently finishing Eduard's 1/48 Tempest and while the kit itself is an absolute dream, some of the smaller decals were the stuff of nightmares. It's especially bad with squadron markings where some movement on the surface is just necessary to properly align them. Really disappointing to go from Cartograf to that.

As far as the kit selection goes I can't blame Eduard for re-releasing some of their excellent renditions of popular aircraft. 2021 is a slow year for them, at least for me, but that was to be expected.

• Like 1

My current beef with Eduard is saturation, in my opinion they are releasing far too similar boxings in way too short timeframe ( Spitfire Mk.IIa/b ) being prime example, also releasing two Profipacks in the same month, again of the subjects already being released, not prudent, regarding Limited Editions, with Eduard stated numbers and policy re-realising good sellers-not limited at all.

Secondly pricing...

For instance, while their early Spitfire trilogy is superb ( The Few, Tally Ho) price wise is far cry from earlier Dual Combo's where unlike today , one paid top 60% value of two Profipacks-now its 110%.

Hasegawa based limited editions are beyond expensive for what one gets in the box.

PE parts getting slowly unaffordable.

I love them dearly, they cater for aviation enthousasts like no one else, and truly wish them all the best, but have feeling that complacency has kicked in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Eduard lost its entire stock of sprues, some 1.3 million pieces, melted down in a fire at the end of December 2020. The process of rebuilding this stock will take at least a year. During this year the availability of many older models will be lower. As a result, you can't really count on a "warehouse sale" of old kits either.

Besides, with huge investments in complex designs like the Spitfire family from the early Mark I to the late Mark V, Eduard will be releasing multiple boxes with different versions and modifications. For someone who wants one "Spitfire", regardless of version, this is "nothing new".  For someone who wants a particular variant of a particular version of Spitfire, it saves time on conversion / detailing. Same with any other such advanced project - P-51D/Ks, Bf 109F-Ks, Fw 190As or the planned Mustang up to version C. If you don't like so many variations, you're probably not the audience Eduard is targeting.

Regarding prices, I don't know if you are aware that at the moment there is a Europe-wide problem with shortages of supply of plastic for injection moulding of kits. This means that prices for that plastic are going up.

On the other hand, Eduard has also changed its policy regarding the Weekend series. Nicer boxes with full boxart (if this is an important issue for someone), but also 4 paint schemes instead of 2 as before. All this without raising the price, so if you don't want the Profipack or the Limited Edition, the Weekend will be more attractive.

• Like 2

I love variation, and would like every possible Spitfire subtype and variation as small as it may be,but from both buyers and sellers viewpoint, releasing five Mk.I/II kits in half a year-not smart, but of course everyone is entitled to its own opinion.Eduard as well as companies like Zvezda have in house tooling development+production, thus in time of never cheaper tooling development(due to numerous small tech.revolutions)- even less cost than most manufacturers.

There are definitely no huge investments in any tooling, that was 20+ years ago, no matter where and who took on tooling manufacturing, and even then there were not huge investments, but hefty sums-not huge ones, its a nice story that has been perpetuated ad infinitum to cater some ridiculous pricing policies- but here have to emphasise that I don't include Eduard regarding mentioned .

In fact Eduard produces best quality-price wise ratio products, as example, (and I cannot think of any other aside from Academy and Zvezda) with BFC discount, single prop 1/48 Overtrees can be purchased for +/- 10 euros-bargain compared to quality, but that does not mean that they are beyond critique, in 2021 they did not announce single new 

tooling, we already knew about Sopwith Camel and S-199, and even S-199 is pushed most probably for early 2022.

Have no problem with lack of totally new toolings, but please give some variety( applaud F-8), among superlatives like Spitfire IX-VIII-XVI, Tempest Mk.V, Fw 190A-F, Mustang is there a place for limited editions taking full advantage of Brassin and PE lines.

P.S. regarding shortage... how much were the prices  this time last year, and comparison to today ( rhetorical question)

Edited by Thomas V.