1/72 Revell Hunter F6 Belgian Air force

Well I was surprised when I saw this STGB, I do so love the Hunter, not sure how I missed it.

Col let me join in, so off I rushed, started 24 hours ago, and been working on it off and on.

The obligatory box and sprue shots

DSC01827_zps7rexhtsd.jpg

DSC01828_zpsgwhic2d0.jpg

Now I kinda rushed into this stirred on by Alex's quick build.

This is my first kit for more than 2 years, so made some basic rookie mistakes

I didn't set out for any particular scheme, so painted (dark grey) and decaled the cockpit, put the wings together, all last night while watching Australian Rugby league, Parramatta Eels defeat the Many Sea Eagles 22 10.

Completed the Starboard wing no problems, but found I had misaligned the port one, managed to it part undone, only about 3 minutes after I put it together, as I use MEK, and it's quick, got it a bit better aligned, but couldn't poo-poo the outer near the aileron, so clamped it up and left it overnight.

DSC01829_zpsneqbvdaj.jpg

I'm not a very good photographer, so not really able to see anything here, but it was a bit of a pain, it was about this time I started to think of what I was going to do it as, that's when I realised when I looked through the options, I needed to open some holes up if I was going to an FGA9, bugger, so thought I might do it as a Swiss one, but again if I was going for the Sidewinder option I would need to open up holes, OK, had a look at what decal options I had, and realised if I was going to do this kit as an F6 I would need a different tailplane,(why don't they put both in anyway I will never know), OK, so Belgian it is, I have 2 choices, in that I have the Diables Rouges from Daco, or a standard one from the Revell F6 decal option in the kit, which I will probably go for, those decals do look good.

As I said I worked off and on through the day, no more than 2 hours in a go, made good progress,

The fuselage together, and the black hole that is the cockpit, will look OK with the canopy closed.

DSC01831_zpshyo34xoh.jpg

After dinner went and did some modelling again watching Australian Rugby League, this time my home team, the current Australian Champions, and World Club Challenge Champions, having beaten Leeds Rhinos 38 4,

Again tonight, I decided to model instead of going to the game where we thrashed Russell Crowes' South Sydney Rabbitohs 44 18.

I seems watching a game and modelling gives me quite the urge to get stuff done

DSC01833_zpssf5te1go.jpg

Where I finished tonight

DSC01836_zpsqevmifag.jpg

SWMBO arrives home tomorrow, but not until late, so might get more done, I have never finished one of these STGB's so really aiming for just the basics, nothing fancy at all.

• Like 7

Welcome to the GB Graeme. Seems we're going to be treated to a couple Hunters in the gallery before too long due the fast work both you and Alex are putting in :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have never finished one of these STGB's so really aiming for just the basics, nothing fancy at all.

Don't worry, this kits almost goes together by itself! Nice start so far!

Alex

Seems we're going to be treated to a couple Hunters in the gallery before too long due to fast work......

......and then there was mine!!!

Anyhow I'm glad someone is keeping Col off my back by actually building something, nice build so far and the Belgian option will look good.

Duncan B

• Like 1

OK, best laid plans and all that, but did get a bit done over the weekend

Spent a bit of Saturday putting on some of the smaller stuff, like airbrake, sabrinas, and building the small Fuel Tanks, would appear the BAF didn't use anything else, and only on the inner pylon from the photos I could find, so using the "keep it simple stupid" principle, that's what mine will be.

Today I painted the back end as some Belgian Hunters had bare metal for the back end, and annoyingly not on any panel line, sort of a tapered affair, also painted the wheel wells with Alcald duraluminium, as it is a little darker.
I masked the wheel wells and fuselage side to keep a straight line, will reverse mask the lower when the time comes

DSC01840_zps2q5ydq12.jpg

after a few mistrials with the silver I settled on Extracolor Weissalimium

DSC01842_zpsktbkhnju.jpg

It is a little patchy, due to using other silvers first, that didn't work very well, so will need a polish with micromesh, then another light coat, but will give ita day to dry being an enamel.

Stayed tuned for further episodes

oh and the flash didn't work, typical

Edited by Graeme H
  • Like 4

After getting my domestic chores out of the way, mowed 2 lawns, refitted a knob on one of the kitchen doors, getting all the washing up done, I have been able to get a little modelling done, not much progress to report though.

after getting the underside done, I realised I have to wait for it to dry seeing as I used enamels, couldn't remember why until the nightmare that was trying to get the Tamiya Flat Aluminium to spray came back to me I realised why, anyhoo decided to put some decals on anyway

DSC01845_zpsjt5qvo2r.jpg

If anyone has a spare of that IF 126 decal from the Revell F6, I wouldn't mind a spare as I screwed it up putting it on.

flopped it over, and remasked and sprayed some Compucolour Dark Sea Grey, now there is a blast from the past, went on fairly well without much grief

DSC01846_zpsmirrutjb.jpg

now need to wait for that to dry, and on with some green

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

OK, been really slowed down, by my wife needing to go into hospital for a bit over a week, so all modelling stopped, she got out yesterday.

So managed to mask up and get the green on, hopefully get some more done over the next few days, but have to go away for about a week next Tuesday

so everything going a bit slower than I would like

Only photo update so far

DSC01852_zpse49gozn5.jpg

The eagle eyed will notice I forgot to paint the tailplanes, now done though

• Like 3

I have managed to get a little time to work on this, small update

I gave it a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss, and left it more than the recommended 6 hrs drying time, and have commenced putting on the Decals/Transfers/Stickers

DSC01856_zpscul8kbrn.jpg

more later

thanks for looking

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

OK having had a computer crash, i'm having to learn to take and upload photos from my tablet, until I can get my PC back

Life has been a bit hectic, which is odd considering I'm retired, anyway here for your viewing pleasure or not,

my completed model, and first time I think I have got a STGB finished in the alloted time.

20160701_093804_zpstaxwkcdr.jpg

Will put up more photos once I learn how

• Like 3

Now that I like, not that there is anything wrong with a nice RAF Hunter but those bright Belgian roundels really do give it a point of difference. If only I could find a couple more of these Revell Hunters at a price I can afford, am prepared to pay. ;)

Steve.

Looks brilliant Graeme and as Steve has said above the roundels give it a nice bit of colour, not that there aren't some colourful RAF machines, but this is a bit different. Well done on getting it finished before the deadline.

• Like 1