Airfix Messerschmitt BF109 E-4 1/72

Hi all,

This is my third model since restarting this hobby and I've thoroughly enjoyed this new tool Messerschmitt. Had a couple of "oh dear" moments but learned a few things.

She's hand painted in Humbrol Enamels and I've attempted weathering for the first time so while not perfect I did learn a few bits along the way. Also the first time I did an Aerial :) so go me :)

Anyhow .... if anyone has any good advice on how to do Exhaust weathering please let me know ... I found it hard :(

DSC02745.jpg

DSC02744.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02734.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 14

I read something the other day I thought I might try & that is to smear a little of the dirty thinners from brush cleaning to simulate exhaust staining & oil leaks. I thought it worth a go. Nice Emil too BTW. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Very neat build, and I also think that a cotton bud dipped in dark grey chalk powder (just rub the stick on some sandpaper) will be an easy and realistic way of simulating exhaust stains.

The dirty thinner method will work fine for oil stains on the underside. As always, a little goes a long way.

There are a couple of functional misunderstandings on your model, I think. The engine air intake on the port side over the exhausts would not be dirty at all, so those black smudges are misplaced. The same goes for the black stuff coming out from the underwing cooling radiators. ;-)

Studying photos of real machines from the period is usually a good help.

Nice work overall!

Kind regards,

Joachim

What a good finish, looks really nice. Be careful if you use dirty thinners for weathering, it may take a layer of paint off the model. I tend to use a mix of the Tamiya weathering master sets and powdered pastels.

Great 109!

Joachim is right about the couple of remarks he makes re your build. Bottom line, always have a few good photos at hand. This becomes extremely important for the weathering if you want it to remain realistic.

I am building the same 109 in exactly the same scheme, but it has moved to the back burner while I flounder with a Hurricane!

What's next?

Well done.

JR

Thank you for the comments :) I know I could of researched the weathering but as it was a bit of a learning model I winged it :) next one will be fun as it's a conceptual aircraft with no real photos available lol. Funnily enough I'm also building a 1/24 hurricane for fun and to try something not in 1/72 as normal.

All in all though I really enjoyed building this one and learned a lot so all good stuff :)

Thanks again :)

If you had fun building that model, then you are on the right track!!!!

Keep on having a lot of it!

JR

• Like 1