Spiderman 2099 - Classic Spidey Conversion

Milliput is awesome stuff, especially when any sort of sculpting is required (allow it to firm up then attack it with damp wax-carvers, it's great stuff) but for some jobs I'm convinced PPP is the way forward, especially anything you want to do fast, Milliput's long cure time is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

BTW - You can also get Milliput Fine White, which might be of use to you later on. Both types can be moistened right down to a 'slip' like consistency and will still set rock hard (but perhaps a little more brittle than usual).

Yeah its come in really handy on this build, I looked into the white, but I think the normal will do fine for what I need (and that decision totally wasn't influenced by price :lol: )

I like Miliput more than I thought I would too. I tend to put it in the "too slow, can't be bothered" category and get out the super-glue, but it's not that bad really.

Especially if you mix slightly more hardener than resin - that speeds up the cure time :) In extreme circumstances I've also painted over it without waiting for it to cure :P

Spidey is looking good btw.

Will

I just never bothered with it because I just assumed greenstuff is better, but the water blending and the way it feathers on the edges are really great. and oh man I've sprayed primer over tons of half dry greenstuff!

I've never actually used Greenstuff/Kneadatite! I understand it's supposed to be better for sculpting flowing or free-standing fine detail - because it doesn't chip as easily as Miliput and it stays slightly flexible?

Will

Yeah for sculpting its really great, it has like a plastic feel to it and stays together better (which is why its not so good for edge feathering)

Main drawback is because of its slightly flexible finish its awful to sand.

Looks like a major pain in the bum to fill in the recessed lines Hunter but you are well on your way mate. I like using standard milliput too but would also like to put in a shout for the perfect plastic putty as well.

It's not as durable as some other fillers but its so easy to work with and once it's got a coat of primer over the top is pretty solid. It's not the best for larger gaps but I use it as my go to filler as much as possible these days.

Can't wait to see the paint job on this as the pic you showed looks awesome

Pete

Thanks Pete!

Yeah milliput is speeding things up no end, had a bit of time today so got some on the back of the torso

20160620_134332_zpsmrr2i7re.jpg

20160620_135010_zpssmcuxygi.jpg

I've found the best way is to roll ot very thin, then lay it over and use a wet sculpt tool to roughly feather the edge then neaten it up with a wet finger.

Thanks for looking, more soon :)

• Like 2

This is making me seriously consider adding milliput to my filler list. For stuff like this, I generally use Tamiya Epoxy Putty (smooth surface). When I built my 1/4 scale crucified batman, I had to cut and re-position the arms so they sat correctly on the cross, Epoxy Putty to the rescue, but it was real pain in redoing the surface detail. I think milliput would have made my life easier.

Great work on this.

• Like 1

Thanks Crayons, im certainly singing its praises now, its nice having another putty option with its own strengths.

Got more on the torso, same technique as before, roughly on with a thin bit which i feather with a metal tool before smoothing with a wet finger.

20160621_133003_zpsu6eqss29.jpg

20160621_133120_zpsyxucygti.jpg

20160621_133306_zpsfg9xyzl1.jpg

20160621_134659_zps1rewdc6k.jpg

20160621_134712_zps2xbmpjzj.jpg

So happy with how its going now, the squadron and sandpaper was such a chore but this is a breeze now!

Next I'll just get the head and neck detail covered then i want to get the legs pinned on.

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

Grabbed a little shed time today so was able to carry on with the putty work.

20160622_131303_zpsn4ycestc.jpg

20160622_131821_zpstgabm0sz.jpg

20160622_131826_zpsclyklgqz.jpg

20160622_132205_zpsixuuzuhq.jpg

20160622_132213_zpscjzemjjz.jpg

20160622_132857_zpsnf6jknck.jpg

Think when this batch is dry I'll give a spray of primer just to check the finish and see if there are any bad patches or missed buts so far.

Im crazy busy this week and away next week so probably wont be anymore progress till after then.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Weeell holiday over and back to the shed!!

Getting a bit sick of staring at hos torso so i busted out the big guns, after patching the last couple of bits i sanded the hell out of him with some 80 and 180 grit sandpaper.

20160705_134901_zpscw1urys5.jpg

20160705_134918_zpsymlteotv.jpg

20160706_133944_zpsd8pzgfy4.jpg

20160706_133950_zpsyo6dkkef.jpg

20160706_134240_zps8jsyzz0y.jpg

20160706_134707_zpshzekgkbl.jpg

20160706_134713_zpsutxj2oyy.jpg

20160706_134721_zps8tmukxx5.jpg

So aside from a mark on the head and a couple of patcheson his shoulders thats sorted! Going to get the torso on the legs tomorrow and start sorting out the arms, my god i can't wait till im on to paint!!!

• Like 3

Thanks guys! :)

Was going to put the legs onto the torso, but actually realised it will be easier to do the arms first, as the squatting position will make working on the arms after a little awkward.

So ive put on the bicep sectiom of the arms, packed them out with milliput, drilled a loop of wire into the arm sockets then shoved them in and theb dribbled some super glue into the joints for good measure.

20160707_134217_zps9v2kpmye.jpg

20160707_134705_zpskk5xxvey.jpg

20160707_135002_zpslhz17elj.jpg

20160707_135137_zpsou2vdboc.jpg

Really feel like Im building some momentum with this now. Next up I'll blend in the joints with some milliput and cover thecweb detail.

• Like 2

It's amazing how a smooth grey surface like that hides all the work you had to do to achieve it. Look at all those filler layers in the post at the top of the page.

"Never forget!"

Will

• Like 2

Love what you are doing with this figure,but envy you I do not :)

Cheers Andy, I dont know what you mean sanding and filling is fun :hanging::lol:

It's amazing how a smooth grey surface like that hides all the work you had to do to achieve it. Look at all those filler layers in the post at the top of the page.

"Never forget!"

Will

Haha yeah I know, trust me I wont be forgetting!

Looking good!

You now have a generic superhero!

Deadpool? :bounce:

Miliput is great stuff ain't it?

I use a lot of it.

I have actually used Spidey as a generic hero before, I used the old polar lights Spidey and Kraven model kit as a base to make it Grendel vs Argent. I dont think I have any pics it was years and years ago but if I find one I'll post it.

And yeah I now officially love milliput!

• Like 2