1/72 Olimp Pro Resin HAL Ajeet Mk.2

Here's my latest build - an HAL Ajeet Mk.2 built from the Olimp Pro Resin kit. This one's interesting from the 'what might have been' standpoint for the IAF. Circa early-1980s the Indian Air Force was in need of some Advanced Jet Trainers and HAL which was then build the Gnat Mk.2 aka the Ajeet took the opportunity to build what seemed like a promising new trainer based on the Gnat. The IAF was a prolific Gnat operator and this version seemed almost logical, but it was not to be. The project was terminated and the AJT saga culminated into a long and painful acquisition process ending only in the 2000s with the IAF getting BAe Hawk 132s.

Unlike the RAF Gnat T.1s, the plane had an angled cockpit and twin canopies, perhaps to improve visibility. Again, unlike the RAF version, this one retained the original flying surfaces though the fin was made taller to compensate for the longer fuselage. The first prototype took to air in 1982 but was lost soon after. Somewhere along the way, the IAF, which historically has never been warm to the idea of independent efforts such as this lost enthusiasm. HAL went on to build two more examples, both of which ended lives with active squadrons though they never saw service as real trainers but rather as airframes to help senior officers stay current with the type.

My model depicts E2414, one of the last two built, in the colors of No.2 (Winged Arrows) squadron where it eventually ended up. Olimp's kit is exquisite detail-wise (especially since this aircraft is tiny for 1/72) but has the usual pitfalls of a resin kit. It has small holes due to air bubbles in places and the fit is not the best. It is also a terrible tail sitter and there's not much one can do as the nose has little scope to take in the required weights. The sqn. badge decals has proved to be controversial among IAF enthusiasts as it shows the logo of No.2 sqn (Winged Arrows) but says 'Flying Bullets' below which would be No.18. Turns out, Olimp wasn't completely wrong as 2414 was originally delivered to No.18 in 1988 and did wear its badge. When it moved to No.2 the badge was hastily painted over and remnants of the original badge clearly shows in pictures. The only gripe I have with decals (printed by Begemot) is they reversed the roundels (green for saffron and vice versa). I was able to use some spares from a Begemot MiG-21 sheet.

Hope you all enjoy the pics and let me know what you think.

25797536764_3713bfba2e_b.jpg

26402371625_047a660e7c_b.jpg

25799619123_911b550214_b.jpg

25797537564_de183b2eec_b.jpg

Edited by ratmigs
  • Like 14

I had never heard of this plane. It's weird looking compared to an traditional Gnat.

Your finish is really impressive. I've never been able to get silver to look right on resin. I get an orange peel look, even after I thoroughly clean the parts. If the kit gave you any trouble, I sure can't tell.