Thanks guys

I love this build and had a similar idea myself but I was planning to use the FM kit as it offered less cutting issues.

Have you thought about casting copies of the engine and wing sections as I dare say that there are people who would like to have them

Yes, the finemolds releases would be much better for this, being conventional kits

While I was making the bays, I did consider casting some of the detail parts for future use, but it's something I've never done before. It would have been a bit of an investment in time and supplies, so I dropped the idea, but it is something I want to get into in the future. Having a stock pile of reproducible details would make these kind of builds easier

The tips off old plotter pens would work great for the protrusions above the main sensor array, if you can find them.

Yes, I've got a few pen tips I've saved, but they'd be too big. The moulded representations of those tubes are absolutely tiny. I've got some 0.4mm albion alloys tube and that's way too big. I'll probably just use wire or stretched sprue for them.

Not a lot of progress to show tonight. I've got to finish the wings, as they need to be inserted before the fuselage halves go together.

I have been giving some thought to a base though. I've picked up a photo frame that I'll use, just got to decide what form the base will take

26408296120_297ff2806d_b.jpg

I'd originally thought of doing a hanger style base similar to the one I did for the Snowspeeder, but I didn't think it would fit for this non-movie X-Wing.

The premise I'm working on is the ship being used for defence on something like an outer rim mining colony, to protect the workers from pirates, and assorted scum and villainy. On that basis, I'm thinking of something like an outdoor, Vietnam style, revetment. Not sure what form it would take yet, I'm just going over ideas in my head.

Andy

• Like 5

Your X-wing is coming together nicely, I'm enjoying your progress. I always like to see how you go about painting as you have a very interesting style which I find very pleasing.

A pity you couldn't go for a South Pacific coral atoll looking base. Like those WWII Marine Corsairs, all beat to heck with faded and worn paint. Pink coral sand and PSP mat ground work with the crews under canvas. Hmmm… gets me to thinking :D

Keep having fun and thanks for sharing.

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks guys

The Harrier style, woodland setting would look cool, but I'm currently thinking along the lines of a snowy environment. I think the white, along with pale greys for the hardstanding, would make a good, neutral background, and set off the red X-Wing well. This isn't final, just a test to get a feel for how it would look

26093638673_c9232df2ce_b.jpg

I might see if I can pick up one of those old Hasegawa ground equipment sets, or else I'll just scratch build some stuff.

Andy

• Like 4

On 28/04/2016 at 19:48, GazB said:

That looks cool, Andy :). Have you considered something like the maintenance walkway around it?

X-wing-parked-on-Hoth-Star-Wars-Battlefr

Thanks Gaz

Yes, I had thought about something like a maintenance platform, but I'll probably not do it on this build. I want to keep the base pretty spartan, like they're having to service it, and patch it up with only basic equipment. I might do a more in-depth maintenance dio for the Y-Wing, and I've also got a hanger dio to build for my Finemolds Slave 1, which will have a gantry around the ship.

On 28/04/2016 at 23:49, gamblor916 said:

I like the effort you put into the photography and graphics as much as the actual build itself. A combination of Illustrator and Photoshop?

Thanks Gamblor

All the illustrations are done in Photoshop. I don't really bother much with Illustrator, as I'm not keen on working with vectors. These are just quick sketches, so I have something to work from. I used to do a lot more full Illustrations and profile art, like the stuff below, but since I got back into modelling I don't really have the time for it any more

26651017801_11ed225d27_b.jpg

26444639940_48ccd69291_b.jpg

On 29/04/2016 at 00:02, M_Sinclair said:

Hi Andy! Quick question. Do you have a preferred masking fluid? Also, a preferred method of application?

-matt

For straight masking (canopies and such) I use Vallejo, but for paint chipping I use Gunze Neo, as it's quite a bit thicker than the Vallejo one which makes it easier to apply, and I find it rubs off more cleanly too. I usually apply it with a piece of sponge, as below

16978156898_ed148a2f7d_b.jpg

17164299972_5abb0043ab_b.jpg

16958522147_801782decc_b.jpg

Right, I'd better actually post something about the X-Wing, hadn't I. Well... not a lot has happened. No paint yet, but I'm getting closer (promise)

One thing that's been bothering me was having to install the wings before joining the fuselage halves. It would make cleaning the join a bit harder, and I'd really prefer to paint the wings separately anyway. Since it's going to be on the ground, and I won't need the wings to open, I've decided to cut them in half so they can be slid in at the end, after painting. The centre pivot section was sawn off both wings, and the square blocks that keep the wings in place in the fuselage were ground down

26112100014_9b87eb6258_b.jpg

Then the two bulkheads that trap the wings in place and allow them to open and close, had lengths of square rod glued in place to act as runners for the wings to slide in to from each side

26112100024_2c85d481e8_b.jpg

26112100044_39d3a55db0_b.jpg

I added a styrene tab to each upper wing section, and these slide over the opposite wing to help keep both wings level. When I fit them at the end, I'll add some glue to the tabs to fix the left and right sides together, and lock them in place. In the mean time, the tabs will make convenient handles during painting. The top and bottom wings on each side will be stuck together and painted as one piece

26112100074_977167461c_b.jpg

26112100064_a3cbda051b_b.jpg

I've also done a little work on the landing gear, as I thought the feet looked a little blocky and crude. I've just opened up some panels and trimmed some plastic off here and there, and also added a few bolt heads

26625084052_634e4809b7_b.jpg

And the last thing for today was to add some extra detail to the top panel on the fuselage, and block off the droid socket, as I didn't want this X-Wing to carry an astromech

26112100094_35c3c7c8d5_b.jpg

I've got a few gaps to fill on the fuselage joint, and a few extra details to add, then I should be able to start thinking about getting some paint on

Andy

• Like 10

Thanks Andy! I was worried you applied each and every bit of mask with a tooth pick.

I kinda chuckled when I saw the last photo with the extra detailing on the top panel. I was doing the very same earlier today. Good idea about spliting the wings to allow the fuselage to be built up. Thinking of doing the same with mine. She's looking sharp!

-matt

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Well, inevitably, there were a few areas I've had to complete before I can get on to the paint. One was the guns, which I'd wanted to modify slightly. Not for any specific reason, apart from giving them a visual look that's different from the movie models.

In the end, all I've done is cut down the main barrel to shorten the guns, and replace the muzzle with some 1mm brass tube. I originally had an idea about replacing one of the guns with some kind of sensor pod, but I couldn't come up with anything I was happy with, and I think it may have looked a little odd anyway, especially with the wings closed

26752662385_ca70295a91_b.jpg

I wasn't sure if shortening the barrels would throw the balance of the model out, but it seems OK with them in place

26146727254_74115f26a0_b.jpg

The front sensor's had a few extra details added, and I'll now get this painted up and masked off, along with the other open panels, so the main painting can start

26752646055_a600929d7e_b.jpg

I've also added a little battle damage to the wings. Some was done with a grinding bit in a dremmel, and some with a heated needle (same method I used on the snow speeder). It's a bit hard to see the effect right now but hopefully, with a little weathering and paint chipping, it should look appropriate

26148848053_f6c74ceab3_b.jpg

26727380486_547443b6be_b.jpg

As you can see, I've also shamelessly stolen Matt's idea for drilling out the fasteners, and I thing it adds a nice tech-y look to the model. You can probably also see I've added a few extra hull plates here and there. There's a few down the sides of the fuselage, which you can't really see on the photos, and there's some smaller ones on the upper fuselage and wings. These have two functions. Partly they're there to add to the patched up look of the ship, but they're also, rather sneakily, hiding a few joints that were still visible after I'd filled them.

I've got to check the fit of the landing gear doors, give everything a wipe over with IPA, then do the necessary masking, then it should be paint time

Andy

• Like 9

Modelling of the highest order.

In the end, all I've done is cut down the main barrel to shorten the guns, and replace the muzzle with some 1mm brass tube. I originally had an idea about replacing one of the guns with some kind of sensor pod, but I couldn't come up with anything I was happy with, and I think it may have looked a little odd anyway, especially with the wings closed

I'm not familiar with the underside of the X-wing's fuselage, could you add a centreline pylon then show a sensor or recce pod on a loading trolley ready to be mounted on the ship once it had been buttoned up ?

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

Thanks guys

The paint pots are close to being opened now

I'm not familiar with the underside of the X-wing's fuselage, could you add a centreline pylon then show a sensor or recce pod on a loading trolley ready to be mounted on the ship once it had been buttoned up ?

I'm sure it would be feasible to add centreline hardpoints to an X-Wing. In fact, a ground attack version might be fun for a future project. On this I was really just thinking of adding a bit of asymmetry to the guns, to make a more interesting design. I'm not sure it would have worked though, so I didn't bother

All the work that's going to be done is now done. Still got the nose sensor to paint, then all the masking, but otherwise it's ready for paint. I've listed the various mods on the photos below primarily so I can remember what I did to it for future reference

26749161126_561db06eb0_b.jpg

26168913004_ac89777a17_b.jpg

26168905634_ca9ee56e29_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 12

Well, there's finally a bit of paint on. I'm using the same yellow from the bays for the inner sides of the landing gear doors, and also for one of the engine panels. The rear engine sections have been based in gloss black as an undercoat for the metallics

26696581262_bf9ddf32d0_b.jpg

I had a play with some different metallic finishes on the engine and landing gear parts, just to see what gave the best finish. The final look isn't that important as they'll all get heavily weathered. Alclad white aluminium on the engines, AK Xtreme Metal polished aluminium on the landing gear and Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium on the turbine faces and rear fuselage panel

26790177755_bf4cd3eb4e_b.jpg

Not a scientific test, as they're not the equivalent finishes from each range, but I prefer the AK and Vallejo to the Alclad as far as ease of use goes. I'll post some better comparison shots later on.

Andy

• Like 9