Thanks petro! :)

This is looking fantastic, black and red looks good to me and I like the odd green panels as well.

The A wing is OK but the B-wing, when will we see a decent B-wing kit?

That would be awesome, I'd really love them to to a shuttle Tiderium too

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Mine just arrived in the mail! The detail is astounding when you can see it in person. Especially when you consider it's only 1/72! Remarkable that the kit can appeal to beginners and expert modellers. Kudos to the people at Bandai!

I'm loving watching this one come together.

-matt

The design on these kits is pretty amazing, especially when you consider how cheap they are. I wish a few other manufacturers would take note

Andy you mentioned an A wing release, I've been scouring the net but cant find any info, is there a release date for that one?

Sorry for not getting back sooner Hunter, I've been away for a couple of days. I think it's likely to be May or June for the A-Wing

The A wing is OK but the B-wing, when will we see a decent B-wing kit?

I'm assuming a B-Wing is a strong possibility now. I don't think they'd release an A, X and Y but not bother with the B. I suspect we'll see one before the year's out (don't hold me to that though :winkgrin: )

Not much work done over the last few days, but I've got one more internal section part finished. I'm trying to get all the opened-up sections done so I can paint them all at the same time, before I start getting the main components together.

I've been going over the fuselage to decide which sections to leave off. On the port side, I'll probably leave off the red section and build an avionics bay behind it, and probably the square panel in front of the wings too, since it's a separate piece anyway

25969906093_7245b8f43a_b.jpg

I was gong to have the nose cone in place, but Bandai have included a very nice representation of the sensor array that fits under the nose, It seems a shame to hide it away, so I think I'll leave the nose off. They seem to have used the illustration in the Incredible Cross-sections book as reference, and it matches that well, though I'll probably add some extra wiring to liven it up a bit

25969901693_28258d4d35_b.jpg

26299926960_ea0af8c95c_b.jpg

On the starboard side, I decided to leave off the panel that covers the launch tube for the torpedoes. I cut away the inner wall that the panel attaches to, and thinned the edges down. At this point I was going to build the chamber that houses the torpedoes, which sits under the cockpit, but to do that I needed to saw off the bottom of the cockpit tub as it filled the whole area.

26572819775_dc99df4af2_b.jpg

26480446722_084897e25a_b.jpg

After doing all that I realised you wouldn't see that much of that area anyway so, in the end, it was closed off. It was still easier to do the work with the bottom of the cockpit removed, so the work wasn't wasted

26506757861_96f43e3656_b.jpg

I made a new cockpit floor with thin plasticard and also a piece to form the roof of the open bay

26480415872_b5ff162576_b.jpg

The back wall of the bay was made from some ribbed plastic sheet, and another piece of the same sheet was used to block off the end with a piece of tube added which would lead through to the torpedo chamber

25967746074_3f4233a522_b.jpg

26480402502_3edc01c262_b.jpg

This is what it look like when it's all together. I'll add some wiring and other details to the back wall. I'll also add the front half of the outer panel. Just enough to go over the locating lug and extend a few mm past the open bay. I've marked that on the piece and I'll cut it away with a razor saw

25967738174_b32e0fa8b4_b.jpg

26299951710_a2df6b9277_b.jpg

That's about it for now. Hopefully I'll get a bit more done over the weekend

Andy

• Like 6

Whilst I am one of those people who are a little bit over the massive amount of Star Wars builds out there in forum world, I still appreciate quality workmanship, imagination and a willingness to break from the norm. I don't want to sound gushing, but I do really like your style and where you are going with this. I have the same kit in the pile and I also intend to make mine not true to the movie version. I have a black and metallic grey version in mind :)

I knew I should've bought that cut away book when I saw it at the airport recently. I think it could've come in handy later

MH

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I have the same kit in the pile and I also intend to make mine not true to the movie version. I have a black and metallic grey version in mind :)

I knew I should've bought that cut away book when I saw it at the airport recently. I think it could've come in handy later

MH

Thanks MH. Metallic grey and black sounds like a great scheme. That's the beauty of these kits, you can really do anything you want. In that vein, I'm currently eyeing up a 1/48 Airfix Spit in my stash that I think I'm going to paint up as Red 5, in a kind of Star Wars meets WWII setting. I'd probably best not post it in the aircraft section though, don't want to be responsible for any heart attacks :wicked:

If you see that book, get it. It's brilliant for reference, and a great read too. The combined volume is the best one to get

Did you find any interesting flaws with any previous build of this kit?

I've not built this one before now, but flaws on the Bandai kits are pretty few and far between

Looks superb! You could have it with a folding nose! But the build is looking awesome, those drawings are brilliant too. Its curious to think Bandai included the sensor array, nice, but curious...

I did consider folding the nose, but the sensor extends too far into the cone for it to swing round without hitting the edge of the cone. I wouldn't have actually made it workable, so it wouldn't really matter, but I think even with it folded back you'd still tell that it wouldn't really work. Also, I think having it removed works better with the stripped down look of the model.

Bandai do seem to include quite a lot of internal details the can be revealed by removing external parts. The Y-Wing has very detailed inserts under the engine nacelle radomes

I realize this is for the T-70 and not the T65. But I figured I might as well share it anyways.

I've got that book too. The artwork in there is spectacular. Better than that in the original cut-away books, I think.

Most of the detailing in the open bays is now done, or at least as done as it will be before painting. Some of the bits and pieces that are going in will be painted separately to save fiddly masking.

This is the port side as of now. There'll be some extra wiring added, but that too will go in after painting, Some of these bits are just held in place with blue tak for the photo, hence some of them may be a bit wonky. The bays will be painted first, then the boxes and bits added. The dark grey bits are some spares from a Games Workshop kit (don't remember what), and the pale grey bits, and also the PE, are left-overs from the BTR-60 I built a while ago

(note; everything looks a bit gappy here, as nothing is fully pressed together yet. It does go together pretty flush, though I may need to run some liquid putty along the main upper/lower seam)

26611647145_e125728a40_b.jpg

26585432086_5b73007032_b.jpg

26585427786_a919ed80d1_b.jpg

The starboard side. Again more wiring will go in here, mainly through that hole in the PE part

26008453333_836fdfce49_b.jpg

I've also cut the front off the nose cone. The rear part will be attached, which matches the illustration in the cross-sections book. I've drilled some holes for mounting points, and I'll probably add some short lengths of albion alloys micro tube to the two side holes, and maybe some other smaller details

26545824501_4dbab39d40_b.jpg

The seat's also been reworked slightly. The tops of the sides have been cut away to make a shoulder, and I'll scrounge some etched belts from somewhere to tart it up a bit. I also cut the central recess out and added the cushion/pad. I haven't got a shot of how it looked before, but if you've got the kit, you'll know

26611660205_83df443aef_b.jpg

Hopefully I should get some paint on later today, then I can start getting things together.

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 7

Thanks Matt, thanks Hunter

I got the bays painted up and weathered last night. The base coat for the bays was a mix of Vallejo golden yellow, green ochre and pale sand. The cockpit and most of the little greebles were picked out in a dark grey. A lot of chipping followed, then various thinned acrylics to add the grime. I'll probably use oil and enamel washes to weather the ship at the end, but I didn't want to use any here in case the thinner got into the joints and caused any mischief

26608532326_6e040dca4c_b.jpg

26361871520_19e935df8c_b.jpg

And everything put together

26361862510_670ae8e067_b.jpg

26608519076_7af6448a30_b.jpg

26031360103_abe0507143_b.jpg

26635065525_22e54d3759_b.jpg

26608510076_70e762ed5a_b.jpg

26608508666_472581521e_b.jpg

I should be able to get all the main components together now. There's still a few areas that need additional detailing, but I should be able to do that once it's together. Hopefully all these areas should mask off with no problems. I think I'm going to have the canopy closed, but I'll probably leave it loose so it can be removed to see the cockpit.

Andy

• Like 12

I love this build and had a similar idea myself but I was planning to use the FM kit as it offered less cutting issues.

Have you thought about casting copies of the engine and wing sections as I dare say that there are people who would like to have them

• Like 1