I like the snow effect Andy but shouldn't there be a bit hanging around the hardstand?

Don't think the grounds crew would be that efficient with removal but I could be wrong.

Can't wait to see it with the X-wing and equipment in place. Are you adding a few figures?

• Like 2

I like the snow effect Andy but shouldn't there be a bit hanging around the hardstand?

Don't think the grounds crew would be that efficient with removal but I could be wrong.

Can't wait to see it with the X-wing and equipment in place. Are you adding a few figures?

Looks great Andy but the should be a dusting of snow that the ground crew failed to clear off.

Stunning build but agree it just needs a dusting of snow or ice on the concrete to tie everything in together.

Thanks guys,

Yes, there will be a bit of snow over the hardstanding. I just have to keep building it up in layers.

I'm working from the hypothesis that the prevailing winds would be from the rear. Err... let me rephrase that. They'd be blowing from the back of the diorama, hence the drifting up the back of the wall.

I'll have more snow blown across the concrete where the wall ends. I've just got to find the best way of representing it.

Andy

• Like 2

As promised, more snow

I'd tried the idea I had of scattering bicarb over a sprayed coat of varnish, for a dusty, windblown look, and the results weren't that great. It did look like windblown snow, but the transition between that and the existing Wilder snow was too abrupt. To get round this I've been adding layers of a slurry made from bicarb mixed with Humbrol Clear. This has also helped soften some of the texture from the Wilder paste

27483361356_9d95bca08f_b.jpg

I've used this mix before for snow, and I like the way it looks. The bicarb doesn't dissolve in the Clear and remains in suspension so, when the Clear has dried, there's still a bit of texture to the finish, but there's a much softer look to it than the Wilder paste. It does take a long time to dry though, so it's a slow process, as you can't add another layer until the previous one has set. It's also transparent when it's wet so it's hard to tell what the final effect will be like.

When it is dry though, it retains a nice translucency which I think looks a little more realistic than the solid, pure white snow paste

27483351186_5f5501494b_b.jpg

You can see the remnants of the bicarb-over-varnish experiment below. As I said, the effect was ok, but I've had to keep adding more bicarb slurry to soften the transition, and I think it will need more still. The snow looks really dirty here, but that's down to the exposure I had to use to get the detail in the snow to show up. In person it is more of an off-white than the snow paste, but in a more realistic way to my eye

27445478911_ffebce36fe_b.jpg

I will be adding small isolated patches of snow to the concrete, but I have to be a little careful as there's not that much space on the base when the X-Wing and ground equipment are in place

26909678403_f5e23a6d76_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 12

Thanks guys

Not managed to get any more snow on the base yet - hopefully I'll get some on tonight.

I have added a little abandoned container to the snow area though, as I thought that part was looking a little dull.

I used a left over turret stowage bin from Takom's Chieftain and cut the bottom off it at an angle, so it will look like it's partially buried in the snow. It'll be painted up in some colour (not decided yet, but probably pale blue, to tie in with the rest of the base), then some chipping and rusty stains. Once it's in place, I'll build up the snow around it

27485680191_a424b9e902_b.jpg

26949408083_f67b832c53_b.jpg

27558013205_119fb004b5_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 8

I used a left over turret stowage bin from Takom's Chieftain and cut the bottom off it at an angle, so it will look like it's partially buried in the snow. It'll be painted up in some colour (not decided yet, but probably pale blue, to tie in with the rest of the base), then some chipping and rusty stains. Once it's in place, I'll build up the snow around it

Your attention to detail and balancing colours is elevating model making to an art form.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Looking very, very cool Andy! :cold:

Thought I'd point you in this direction: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/480-precision-ice-and-snow/

Thanks for that link sarge. I remember vaguely reading about that a while ago, but I'd forgotten about it. I'll definitely look in to it for a future snow scene.

Your spares box must be a thing of wonder. :hypnotised:

I think I'm just an excessive hoarder Nigel.

The abandoned container hase been painted, weathered and added to the base. I've built up the snow around it, and added a few more patches to the concrete. I could keep adding more, but I think I'd make the base too busy, so I'm going to call it done

27504582701_d636dfa010_b.jpg

26968370383_997bc79fae_b.jpg

So far I've resisted putting it all together, so I've no more idea how it will all look than any of you. The only thing I've added is a power line leading from the generator that will disappear into the X-Wing's front landing gear bay.

Now it's just a case of putting it all together, and making any alterations that are needed. Hopefully I should get it wrapped up and photographed tonight.

Andy

• Like 7

Well, I was getting everything together earlier, ready to take the final photos, when I heard an all too familiar beeping.

Yes... it was Nigel. Frankly he's getting more and more out of control lately, and he's been very sulky that U9-C4 has been getting more attention on this build.

He insisted that I shrink him down to 1/72 so he could appear in the diorama so, to quell the incessant beeps and whistles, I've had to do it.

Now where did I put that restraining bolt

27308980600_da60f2e87a_b.jpg

27513181891_4bc4e43dc4_b.jpg

So, with him happily running around on the base, it's all finished. Thanks to everyone for following along and contributing ideas and suggestions. I'll get the final photos up either later tonight or in the morning

27487034762_7cba1970f9_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 16

Your work is very inspirational, and the little details are magic.

Nice to see someone so talented and so willing to have fun with their hobby. I keep seeing folks that take the hobby so seriously that they suck the enjoyment right out of the hobby.

i am looking forward to how you bring this all together but even more as to what you will try next.

Thank you.

Dan

• Like 1