Sorry, another Fairey Gannet.

Hello

Her is my latest flight off the workbench, Revell's 1/72 Fairey Gannet T5 from 849Sq, RNAS Culdrose in the mid sixties. No aftermarket items were used, however, I did do a little scratchbuilding, wiring and other items were added in the main wing wheel bays from lead wire and plastic rod. Also, a new pitot tube was made from Albion Alloys brass rod and PE fret as was the probe under the starboard horizontal stabalizer, my main concern was with the 30kg...sorry, 30g of lead ballast in the nose, I was not sure if the supplied plastic item might sag so made a new one from Albion Alloys brass telescopic rod and PE fret. I was pleased with the end result as it looked crisper than the kit item but I forgot to paint the chrome telescopic section that depresses under load, drat and double drat.

Construction was pretty straight forward which is more than I can say for the painting.

The main colour is Alclad Airframe Aluminium which went and stayed on a treat, much to my surprise as it can be a little delicate.Then came the fun, the Dayglo was a mix of Valleo Red and Yellow painted over a primer coat of yellow to show a little fading.

The first problem was with the yellow which had gone off and caused blockages in the airbrush resulting in an issue on the tail end.

Next came the peeling of the dayglo every time it was shown masking tape resulting in 3 repair jobs, I hope it is not to obvious where they are.

A coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss was applied and a home made wash was applied but I think this went a little awry, I think I know why so we will see how the next model turns out.

This model was a mix of delight and frustration but on the whole I like the end result, hope you do too.

Thanks for looking.

Gary.

DSC_0090_01_zpsgq7rmerw.jpg

DSC_0091_zps2wupy3mb.jpg

DSC_0092_zpsixeigbho.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsjyfqx2vs.jpg

DSC_0094_zpsv75fdnhk.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsqojrc8ym.jpg

DSC_0096_zpsrd9fj0no.jpg

DSC_0097_zpslegibyfn.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsy0a6tijj.jpg

DSC_0100_zpsue85dwqb.jpg

DSC_0099_zpsestdzbv9.jpg

• Like 33

Lovely job like this scheme on Navy aircraft. Point of reference nose wheels should be navigation red / green & aerials above & below each wing as war time role was aerial communication relay regards Len

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments.

Lovely job like this scheme on Navy aircraft. Point of reference nose wheels should be navigation red / green & aerials above & below each wing as war time role was aerial communication relay regards Le

Thanks Grizzly, something for me to bear in mind on any future builds. Are the nose wheels this colour on all Gannets or just the trainers?

There's really no need to apologize for another Fairey Gannet!

Spitfires however, that's another story altogether... That's quite a plague around here.

Well done compadré!

Reg. Jeroen

Edited by Robotics

Hi Gary,

A niece bit of workmanship. I would imagine decaling all the propeller blades took a fair bit of time but overall it looks shipshape to me. Keep up the excellent work but the Bass Rock Gannets (Sula bassana) are equally as nice.

Best wishes

albamac

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

A niece bit of workmanship. I would imagine decaling all the propeller blades took a fair bit of time but overall it looks shipshape to me. Keep up the excellent work but the Bass Rock Gannets (Sula bassana) are equally as nice.

Best wishes

albamac

Could not agree more albamac

• 1 month later...

Very neat indeed, 849 my first squadron out of training. Loved 'em to bits. A note if I may, the nose wheels were covered by a plate the port one painted red, the stbd, green. It aided with getting the nose u/c facing the correct direction after an on board landing.

Please never apologies for posting pics, of any model even a Gannet.

Colin

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with another Gannet in my books.

I can still remember the AEW.3 that was flying for a while in the late 1980s, and fingers, toes and everything crossed they might get the Gannet T.5 in the USA over in 2017

Tim