1/48 Hasegawa CF-104 1st Canadian Air Group TAM 1980 FINISHED!

Thanks for the info Craig, still can't beat the old Klear version for many things! I'm finding Tamiya X-22 clear gloss with Mr.Color thinners gives me an even better result so recommend that one if you are thinking of a replacement, goes rock hard and very glossy. (I never could spray the old Klear very well so cannot comment how good it is in relation to that tbh).

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated.

Not as much progress as I would have liked but some has been done. She is now standing on her own wheels, which is an improvement, and the probe has been painted and added to the nose along with a couple of aerials etc. here's a couple of pics of how she looks at the minute.

An over all shot.

DSC03418_zpsflllhklw.jpg

A shot of the main undercarriage.

DSC03419_zps8tjh3lcp.jpg

And the nose probe.

DSC03421_zpswvak0jhp.jpg

As you can probably see I have used some thin Tamiya tape painted red as the decal supplied by Leading Edge was apparently allergic to water and simply went to pieces when placed into the water. ho-hum.

I shall try and get some more done this evening as I have the day off work, but I think it will be the weekend at the soonest before I get close to finishing her.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 2

Looking very good Craig, the end is near :D! I have to ask how come you didn't spray the red on the nose probe given you managed to mask it up like so well?

Purely a time issue David. Though I'm not 100% happy with it so I will try and mask and paint it, but like I say that probably wont happen until Saturday at the earliest.

• Like 1

Purely a time issue David. Though I'm not 100% happy with it so I will try and mask and paint it, but like I say that probably wont happen until Saturday at the earliest.

Hey, if I can do it in 10 minutes, you certainly can :)

P1100027%20Large.jpg

• Like 3

And we're done!

Why is it the last little bits always take an age to complete?

Anyway here are some pictures of the (finally) finished CF-104....

First an overhead shot showing the contrast with the replacement stbd wing, including the earlier full colour national marking.

DSC03423_zpsdg9p7klc.jpg

A view of the nose area, complete with masked and painted pitot probe.

DSC03424_zpsdyhaxleg.jpg

A closer view of the cockpit area in which you can just about see my pathetic attempt at recreating the canopy de-misting frame complete with rear view mirrors.

DSC03425_zpsr52i4qq3.jpg

The underside, again showing the replacement wing.

DSC03427_zps47ynizcz.jpg

And another view of the front cockpit.

DSC03432_zpsc6r1iqiv.jpg

There's more pictures going up in the gallery.

Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement during the build, and a special thanks to our hosts for having such a great GB, I just wish it would go on for a lot longer as I have lots more subjects I want to build from this time frame.

Off to build a Cobra for the Huey GB now!

Craig.

• Like 5

Wonderful build and finish Craig, the weathering and painting has brought a very scale representation of the real deal, subtle and spot on imho. The frame looks pretty good btw, surprised the kit doesn't come with that. Also like the splash of colour from the intake blanks and the differentiated wings, top draw all round mate!

• Like 1

Thanks David much appreciated.

The canopy de-misting frame is actually quite a prominent piece and I'm surprised it isn't available as part of the kit or as a seperate aftermarket bit, as far as I know the only way of getting hold of one in 1/48 is to buy the CMK cockpit set which has lots of other bits in that I wouldn't use and is quite expensive.

• Like 1

Why is it the last little bits always take an age to complete?

Aint that the truth.

"Im finished!!"

"Oh wait, theres some PE over there..."

"Im finished!"

"Oh wait theres some more pitots on the sprue..."

"Im finished!"

"Oh wait theres some touch up to do..."

ad infinitum....

Looks top drawer that. Shame you put the wings on upsidedown, but hey, we all do that.

Only joking.... :)

Lovely kit isnt it? Two are waiting in the stash here and I fear more will follow, theyre just so nice to build.

Well done! Are you happy with it?

Oh - dont DACO cover the demisting bits? Bit pricey, but covers a shed load of stuff.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Yes I am happy with it, there are some things I would like to improve but on the whole I am pleased with the result, and yes I will build another as I've also got another 2 in the stash (including a 2 seater).

The DACO set is a good call, I had forgotten about that. I will probably pick up a set at Telford in November.

• Like 2

Yeah the DACO set seems to be the way to go for the frame, in fact the way to go to build the whole series of German 104s (probs the most comprehensive bit of aftermarket I've ever seen, with the decals), I think I'm gonna get it too and build my collection in 1/48 like you. The other scales throw up so many more troubles than 1/48 so I'm with you there. Look forward to your further models Craig!

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Re the Daco sets - they do deals for various sprues. Might be an idea to go for a Group Buy of bits? Im sure there are enough 104 fans on here and Hasegawa have just re-released the TF104G to help things along...?

Just a thought. I could do with a nice access ladder for a start. :)

That's a nice 104!

Looking very realistic. Well done.

Bought my DACO set at Telford in 2013 but havn't used it. It's a very nice set (as are the Belgian 104 decals they produce).

Yup, that decal set is huge and looks lovely. A TF is their target here.

• Like 2

Well done Craig. This one is a cracking replica of a machine with all the tell-tale signs of hard work and some unique features.

• Like 1

Probably a Belgian F-104 for the 70's NATO GB for me!

great minds think alike. Not too sure I fancy taking you on head to head though!

In fact... Theres a Hunter in the stash, then again, its been a while since I did a Lightning... or a Phantom..... or a Jag..............

• Like 2

Re the Daco sets - they do deals for various sprues. Might be an idea to go for a Group Buy of bits? Im sure there are enough 104 fans on here and Hasegawa have just re-released the TF104G to help things along...?

Just a thought. I could do with a nice access ladder for a start. :)

Yup, that decal set is huge and looks lovely. A TF is their target here.

I'm sure there are more than enough F-104 lovers on here that would join in a "group buy" of bits from Daco, and yes you're right they do sell the sprues individually so you can pick and choose the ones you want.

A Belgian is certainly on my radar of 104's to build, I think they look great in the SEA scheme.

• Like 1

Maybe worth setting a thread up for a Group Buy then, any volunteers to run it?

I would step forward but know how much of a nightmare such things can be when it comes to getting cash from people for things they say they want and Im a relative noobie on here which doesnt help with pooling cash from others.