1/72 Matchbox Sea Harrier

Was just looking at the Jamie Hunter book and noticed the following:

* XV277 was flown with the heavier Martel missile to prove the concept of equipping the Sea Harrier with Sea Eagle

* Martel looks white in the black & white picture.

* The Indian Navy also qualified the Sea Eagle.

* Picture on p34 shows IN607 with a Sea Eagle on the inner pylon and what looks like a modified baggage pod on the centreline with numerous camera apertures.

* Picture on p75 shows ASRAAM on an FRS.1. One of the armourer types will no doubt recognise the collection of (single) adapters above the launch rail.

No sign of the TIALD anywhere... :winkgrin:

Kirk

Edit: Tim McLelland, "Harrier", p154: FRS.1 XZ437(?) shown with 2 Sea Eagles and (maybe) 4(!!) Sidewinder acquisition rounds. Not so sure about the last bit since one of the AA missiles has a blue coloured body and none have any aerodynamic surfaces. Can't remember whether this indicates it is inert?

Edited by Kirk

Your "Sea Eagles" look like A/R MARTELS, as the Sea Eagle had a more smooth, rounded nose cone. It also had an intake underneath for the small turbojet.

I agree the TIALD shouldn't be fitted. More likely a recce pod?

The photo of XV277 with extended nose, it's carrying something to do with the MARTEL in there, iirc. Off the top of my head I can't remember what though.

The photo of XV277 with extended nose, it's carrying something to do with the MARTEL in there, iirc. Off the top of my head I can't remember what though.

Edit: Mis-read your post. I think the nose was just a dummy radar fairing to see what effect it had on the intake flow.

Edited by Kirk

Ok guys to clarify I'm not fitting a "TAILD Laser Designator".

I am using the one I found in the stash as a "Camera Pod" to use with the early Sea Eagles and the 4 test ASRAAM's.

The Sea Eagles I have do have Air Intakes on the bottom of the missiles.

Ok so one of my last updates before this beauty is finished.
Decals are on now, I tried to use the Matchbox intake roundels but they were too big and didn't react well to being cut so instead I have used a spare set from the Airfix Hawk T.1 which were good for cutting and about the right size judging by the photo my Dad bought for me when I was a child, I've painted all the fine details, dipped the canopy in Klear and painted the Camera TAILD Pod.
Here she is at the moment:
26386922080_f8f75ecc99_c.jpg
C&c welcome as always.
Edited by Maverick231

That's a nice job!

Martin

Thanks alot Martin!

Cool heavy load out there....still don't rate the 800 markings especially since 001 was an 801 side number lol but good job

Thanks man!

Yeah I got that point haha it was either 001 or 100 and I made the "Wrong" choice haha!

That's a superb job and great to see It's a matchbox kit too :thumbsup:

Thank you I really love Matchbox kits!

Nice job there. :thumbsup2: Always good to see a golden oldie brought out for a build.

Thanks mate!

A side note, the Antenna under the nose was found in the stash and used as she looked a little too basic without them.

Mix some scrap sprue in a bottle of liquid poly cement.

Nice build of a Matchbox kit - think I built more of these than any other brand when I was a kid! As for brushable filler, have you tried Games Workshop liquid greenstuff? Got to say I have found that good.

Nice result there & liking the Sea Eagles