Tornado

Thank you Craig, think I nearly lost my sight painting it! That 1/32 kit will be an Air Force IDS, have the Marine one planned too :) I do hope to build quite a few of the Marineflieger aircraft from this time period in 1/72 scale though as a collection, dare I say it I might even build my first non jet kit in the shape of the Breguet Atlantic one day.

A little update on this one, managed to get most things primed and ready for the main colours going on,

image5_zpssu9kvs4c.jpg

I'll work on the weapons between paint layers drying, metallic areas however have been started.

A little issue in the fuel probe will be too far back if following the mount holes for it, required a little bit more filling than I expected in its new slightly forward position.

image4_zpslbt3goj9.jpg

The kit has some wonderful and very tiny surface details for 1/72 so I sprayed a really light layer of Sufacer 1500 as a primer. I'm going to give Gunze Aqueous paints another go in this build as they seem to build the finest I've sprayed so far, this time however with the non retarded thinner as I've had issues in the past with the 'levelling' one, hopefully will get on with them better this time. I added a few more/missing screws/rivets here and there and rescribed the fuselage sides as this tooling seems to be showing some signs of wear.

image3_zps5wtlbidi.jpg

I shortened the front leg at the base, it comes as if no weight is applied by the jet. The one on the right is oob example compared to my weighted' version on the left. I tried assembling all the legs to test getting the right sit, unsuccessful though but have left enough wiggle room to adjust it in final assembly.

image2_zpsksqgm9qa.jpg

And finally here is a pic of the jet I have chosen. I really like the smart new look of these planes and will attempt something similar with little weathering, should make a nice contrast to my knackered looking MFG2 Starfighter I built a few months back, a kind of new and old theme (I guess that should now be an old and even older theme!)

image1_zps6wavlb6p.jpg

Will get the light grey undersides on this evening :) With roughly 4 days to go I won't finish this on time but I'll update the thread regardless :) A kit too far!

Thanks for looking and hopefully a nice painted MFG1 Tornado will be ready for text update!

David.

• Like 7

looking very good David.

I like your idea of a Marineflieger line up, and technically nearly everything the Marineflieger has ever flown is jet powered as a turbo-prop and turbo-shaft are still jets.I'll be adding a Marineflieger Lynx at some point as I used to overhaul their Gems engines (a truly horrible engine) and a Sea King (lovely nice Gnomes, the nicest engine I've ever worked on).

• Like 1

Quite correct, I should have said my first 'non-pointy' model :) ! I think I might tackle the Sea Hawk next in the series (or another 104 :winkgrin: ,) seems a nice little aircraft. Interesting you worked on some of these machines, I'm eager to see how you tackle the RAL7012 Basaltgrau colour on the Lynx having seen it up close, always gives me a headache matching that!

• Like 1

Hi guys painting is in progress but I have a question if anyone knows. What colour should the top of the fins be on the Cerberus and Boz pod? Cannot find a topside image of this Norm 76 scheme online that shows it. Well I found one but the Boz and Cerberus pods were all over RAL7012 with no white demarcation like the ones I'm painting so no hint there.

IMG_0797_zpsph0nfmas.jpg

From the side views I can find, I think they should be white (light grey) but it would go against maybe the rest of the camo scheme, hmm not sure.

Any help/syuggestions greatly appreciated, might open a thread in the Cold War section too!

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 6

Thank you :) , I finished painting all the little areas and now I think its ready for some gloss. For a simple scheme it seemed to take forever to mask!

g_zpssi3nje9y.jpg

I had shaded it a little, doubt it really comes through at all on these photos however. I thought it was best the break the surface up a little to avoid it looking too toy like, but still keeping the crisp newer appearance.

image4g_zpst2d3ugs6.jpg

I think I've finally found a colour mix that is quite close to RAL7012 Basaltgrau for 1/72 scale on these machines and many other German birds. Gunze 69 + some light blue to remove the purple hue that paint has and finally some drops of Extra Dark Sea grey to darken and maybe further make it a little more blue. Playing around with mixes of those seems to get, for my eyes at least, the right tone of sometimes looking grey but in other lights a nice blue-grey hue. These photos do not fully show the colours but give the general idea.

Speaking of that the light grey looks white in these,

image2.JgPG_zpsqquqh4tw.jpg

however put it against a white background it really is a noticeable grey. The weathering again was light with simply some subtle pre-shading showing through, most of the weathering will be done with oils. The gear bays are also a very light grey, darker than the lower side colour but the difference isn't so obvious here in this photo too.

image3.JgPG_zpsevvedxvk.jpg

Next the decals and the weapons, they will be from various sources to try and fully stencil this early jet.

Thanks for looking and glad this GB got this build into motion too :)

David.

• Like 8

Thank you guys, a little update this with work on the drill weapons.

Eduard sells Kormorans in pairs in 1/72, but only include one Kormoran 1 and one Kormoran 2. I bought two sets a while ago and used the Kormoran 1s on a 104 , thinking I could use the 2s on a Marineflieger Tornado. I overlooked that early jets still used the 1 version as with the 104 so first thing was to backdate them. The picture below from Eduard shows what work is involved in the front runner (cable duct?) and different nozzle formation on the rear. 1 on top, 2 below.

648195_2_zpsspgxy7pr.jpg

Here is my correction also with the Aim-9L drill rounds with seeker covers from stretched spruce as the seekers are active.

image4%202_zpsh0d7zlt7.jpg

The front rail actually runs inside the launcher however I was unable to really replicate this neatly in this scale so I just sanded and fitted the rail to the front shape of the launcher to create a similar appearance,

image3%202_zpsso6moxfk.jpg

From my refs the drill Aim-9s had a bright metallic blue around the front section and seeker area. Not having a metallic blue paint at hand I replicated this by first spraying Alclad White Aluminium then Tamiya clear blue,

image2%202_zps07yamt3m.jpg

Then all of them were painted a dark olive drab, annoyingly the photo is making them look almost black but they are indeed a dark olive in the flesh, the decals for these up next. The drill Kormorans did show signs of paint fading and wear having been lugged around by 104s for many years prior to the Tornado force flying with them, I did shade them but its pretty much gone under the dark layer, guess I'll have another go at them with oils after the decals :)

image1%202_zpsihalaq9o.jpg

Going to try start putting the decals on the Tornado tonight, thanks for looking,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 6

Thanks Cookie!!!!

Well I managed to make some good progress, but oh my the decals were taxing!

fgt_zpstunfecb4.jpg

I think I ended up using 6-7 different 1/72 Tornado sheets to correctly stencil this early jet as best I could. The Hahen sheet is great for the walkways, insignia and codes but the stencils are very lacking or simply incorrect colours etc... Luckily had spares from my Hasegawa Marineflieger Tornado boxing, Modeldecal German Tornado sheet and many others to pinch and combine the correct ones. It involved hours of looking at pictures from all angles to see which stencil is required and where. On these early Tornados there were differences, some quite short lived among other things so I guess as always go with what you see on the real aircraft rather than any instruction guide. Some are still slightly incorrect colours (deep red instead of a pinkish red) but no sheet had the correct shade, and I've got nearly every 1/72 German Tornado sheet in 1/72 to compare too!

hjjkl_zpsqihmoqlz.jpg

Food for thought when I attempt my 1/32 version of this, which is one of the reasons I had a crack first at this kit in 1/72, trying to find the original 1985 1/32 Revell Marineflieger Tornado for the decals will be a bugger though!

All the stores/pylons,

h.JPffG_zpsh8tavaji.jpg

Eduard provided some decals with the Kormorans but are missing the white bands which I borrowed from the Hasegawa sheet, the Aim-9 drill rounds had some arbitrary white data stencil on them for interest, didn't have any exact drill round data,

df_zpsgq73h8y1.jpg

After the decals the usual panel wash then I tried the 'oil dot method' across the airframe, which doesn't come though really on these phone pics, but in the flesh (and hopefully the RFI thread) it really does a good job of breaking up the surface in a way that is hard to replicate with simply painting alone, especially in this scale and one I'll certainly use more in the future. I got a bit carried away with it all and decided to go for a more weathered appearance than initially planned I guess.

image3%204_zpsehduty6g.jpg

The staining from the exhaust was done with Nato black with greys mixed in to vary it. The canopy tint has come out quite well in some light, others a bit too strong but I'll correct that on my 1.32 build, looks reasonably like this pic however: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany-Navy/Panavia-Tornado-IDS/1082726/L

imaffge3.JhPG_zpsygj0mfpq.jpg

btbtbtb_zpswoxstbxd.jpg

The exhausts were painted to try and resemble some like these pictures, http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Tornado/6748.html

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Tornado/12510.html. A little paper mask was used for the soot streaks inside the reheat chamber.

image2%204_zpshrew8vmu.jpg

image1%204_zpscjxbd90i.jpg

Not that you can really see any of it when installed :D

In an earlier post I mentioned about shortening the front leg to get a better sit, you can see in these photos how it helped get closer to how it should look,

imagbybyybybybye3_zpsyk2j7o3z.jpg

imajiyujge2_zpscjl20pzp.jpg

The main wheels had some new tread scribed in as the moods are pretty tired now, also the main gear attachment points were really sloppy and indistinct so required lots of testing and figuring out how it should go, still not entirely sure I got it right but looks ok!

Now its onto a billion other details left to do and touch ups to the paintwork, the ones which seem to take all the time. On the canopy so far I've sprayed the exterior, interior and sealant colours and now will be detailed as it has quite busy frames. Unfortunately the canopy quality in these kits is now frankly crap so out of my 4 Tornado kits I picked the best one and even this had some specks inside the clear part (couldn't polish it out), you can just make them out in the photos.

image2%203_zps1ugiypm0.jpg

These pics are quite complimentary to it, in real life it looks very distorted and horrible, but there is no vac form replacement that fits :(.

image1%203_zpss43yorp0.jpg

Finally a shot of the underside and dirt/streaks around the engine access panels. I did rescribe the front fuselage as the kit comes nearly smooth there but totally forgot to rivet it again like the rear fuselage in a rush to get it painted, at least its on the underside :winkgrin:

image3%203_zpscxpnonqo.jpg

One more update left I reckon with the cockpit and any other bits of interest but more than enough to keep me going for a bit yet :)

Thanks for looking and comments on this even though the GB is finished!

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 5

Looks really great David! You are right, unfortunalety most of the decal manufacturers have plenty of errors ( size, colors, look ) of Norm 76 (and 83) decals for Marineflieger and Luftwaffe. Dont try to get the 1/32 Marineflieger decals of the old Revell kit - they are simply wrong in too many ways, same for the Revell USA re release of the newer kit. BTW: The bright color of the red for stencils is RAL 3017. :)

3463653132393565.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Gary, John and Jürgen!

That is a great drawing Jürgen, thanks so much!

Jürgen, it is interesting that you say do not get the 1/32 Revell Marineflieger decals. I was planning on combining the kit decals and the Hahen walkways to get the best result. After looking at the Revell decal sheet, most of the stencils (not walkways) did seem more accurate to me than the Hahen stencils. Could I ask why you suggest not to use the Revell 1985 kit sheet?

I know that the later release, Monogram/Revell Marineflieger Tornado has very inaccurate decals so I'll leave that kit well alone.

For my Norm 83 kit with MW-1 I have managed to get hold the the decals and stencils from the first release of the Revell new tool 1/32 kit, which seems to have the best stencils compared to Hahen also.

Thanks very much for the help Jürgen on my Marineflieger threads, your invaluable input is very much appreciated !

David.

Edited by mirageiv

Your Tornado is looking fantastic David, to my eye the weathering looks perfect.

I think the work you did shortening the front gear leg has made a difference too, the sit looks just right.

You have done a great job on this so far and I am really glad you are continuing with the thread and I am looking forward to the next installment.

• Like 1

Thanks Craig :), last update now before completed model!

I added some details to the inside of the frames. There is a lot more going on there in reality however given how rubbish the canopy is (my camera will show the flaws in the RFI thread) I didn't see much point to have a serious go at it, I'll save that bit of fun for my 1/32 kit.

imanunnge3_zpsnhp0z6rf.jpg

The seats and then with the handles I forgot in the first photo. They look a little rough this close up but ok to the naked eye, I added the extra belts and oxygen hose that surprisingly Aires didn't provide.

vtvtv_zpsuijyozwc.jpeg

imaunnge2_zps4yhejp5d.jpg

Some cockpit shots, just little things left to glue in there when I begin finally assembly.

imagujje5_zps9jpykuwa.jpg

ujujyn_zpsgg7xpgji.jpg

All comes together to look quite busy and certainly an improvement over the kit cockpit. Almost forgot to add some little actuators to lift the canopy, but I'll do those when I'm finished on the undersides.

ununun_zpsenkuhdva.jpg

Revell does provide clear lights for the wing tips however the fit was terrible and needed a lot of superglue blending them in, so just painted over them and then used Tamiya clear, good enough for me in this scale!

imagyhuge4_zpsfypek911.jpg

This evening I'll glue it all together :)

Thanks for looking and I'll do a RFI thread when my decent camera gets back.

David.

• Like 5

Finished!

Final little bits added are shown by the arrows, Revell provides most of them but they are a little bit clunky so I went ahead with little bits of shaped plasticard/spare etch for the probes/sensors/antennae and stretched cotton buds for the cannon muzzles, all way too fiddly. I did mean to order the Master pitot probe but kept forgetting, wanting it done I just made the pitot form stretched spruce, not perfect and too thin but it looks better than the kit's attempt imho!

ggggt_zpsapp1htya.jpg

With everything said and done I'm real happy with this one, maybe a little too weathered for what I was going for but I can change it up a bit for my 1/32 build.

imaggtue2_zpsoqltxggs.jpg

With its tired looking mate, pretty much the same years, circa 84-86. That is two down in my 1/72 Marineflieger collection, many more to go!

imagghrge1_zpsfqd82nsd.jpg

Thank you guys for all the support and the mods for hosting/running the GB, very much appreciated!

Its gonna be one massive RFI thread when I get my camera back with this and the two 104s, will link it in the thread if anyone wants to see the final pics.

Cheers again,

David.

• Like 9