Tornado

Hi guys,

I"ll be using the Revell ECR kit, I got this kit as the HARM launchers look identical to the Kormoran launchers so saves a little work there. Extras so far are a new nose and missiles. Hahen decals and and Aires pit to come.

L1050118_zpshlf2wlbb.jpg

Best regards

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 9

Any of those three options sound cool but the MW-1 gets my vote for no other reason than the fact it's both an unusual weapon to see modelled and a massive lump of Death Dispenser.

• Like 1

Craig- That is part of the grand plan to have both Marine jets like you say :), I look forward to your entry too! Not sure yet however (as you can probably tell :D)

Col- I agree the MW-1 really is a piece of kit, also my favourite camo is probably the norm 83 green one so I'll mull it over these next weeks. I am tempted to build that jet in 1/32 though as it probably would look even more impressive in that scale.

lex- Another Marine vote, maybe I just build both! :)

Nice to have you along guys, 80's NATO just would not be right without some sort of Tornado imho, after all it is my favourite aircraft of all time :)

Cheers

David.

• Like 2

Nice choice - I am still undecided if I add a GR1 based on the 1-48 Revell IDS :shutup:

I like the wrap around of the GR1 a lot - very closely followed by the Marineflieger. As you already seem to have a Marineflieger Starfighter I would add a Marineflieger Tornado as well.

René

• Like 1

Craig- That is part of the grand plan to have both Marine jets like you say :), I look forward to your entry too! Not sure yet however (as you can probably tell :D)

Col- I agree the MW-1 really is a piece of kit, also my favourite camo is probably the norm 83 green one so I'll mull it over these next weeks. I am tempted to build that jet in 1/32 though as it probably would look even more impressive in that scale.

lex- Another Marine vote, maybe I just build both! :)

Nice to have you along guys, 80's NATO just would not be right without some sort of Tornado imho, after all it is my favourite aircraft of all time :)

Cheers

David.

Looks like you are going to be busy building Tonkas David! And looks like one will be Marineflieger :yahoo: .

I'm looking forward to joining this GB as well but I need to finish at least one of my CH-53's first as well as a Lancaster I'm building as a commission (must be mad!), I still haven't decided what to build but after seeing your inspiring builds it might well be an F-104.

Craig.

• Like 1

Craig-Yeah I look forward to seeing the camo jobs on the CH-53s! Good luck with the commission build, sure the customer will be very happy indeed!

Paul- I think that option is winning! :D

Rene- Would be great to see another Tornado, please don't let my marine Tornado stop you, go for it!

DAvid

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have restarted this build! Touch and go whether it will make the deadline but I'll try. Given I've built probably 6-7 of these kits I know my way around them so construction has progressed swiftly already, just waiting for an Aires pit to arrive then I can complete the fuselage. Working on the stores and other bits atm, so many on the Tornado! Will upload some pics in the next few days :) It will be another Bundesmarine jet, a MFG1 Tornado in Norm 76 camo, a real eighties Tornado.

Cheers,

David

• Like 4

Good to see this one back in action David.

My 1/48 one has just arrived in the post but there is no way I'm even contemplating it for this GB, pity the GB has to finish really as I have LOTS I want to build that fit it perfectly. I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Craig.

• Like 1

You are responsible for this :D, I began looking at the kit again after our chat and then the usual happened :whistle: . I made a start on my 1/48 kit ages ago with the cockpit hoping to make swift progress from it, then realised that kit is no quick build so it will be a rather long term project for me too, I think the best Tornado in any scale though once done. I too could probably fit 85% of my stash into this GB, most interesting subjects to me for sure!

Camera is still in the repair shop so no photos yet, only ordinary modelling things being done atm, so better to wait I guess for a worthy update.

David.

• Like 1

Thank you and a lovely Tornado profile, will come in much use! As a side note it highlights all the stencils that are not on my Hahen sheet, oh well :winkgrin:

10 days away this build looks like it won't make it, I'll push on but from my experience building any decent Tornado kit seems to take longer than most other fast jets due to the rather complex nature (or at east part count!) of the kit, a reflection of the real aircraft I guess. Camera still away at the shop unfortunately (hopefully will be ready soon or I won't be able to post decent photos of my 104s either at this rate :hmmm: ) so please allow for some slightly naff photos here!

The aim is this, not this exact jet but like it. (Copyright shown in text and merely here for reference purpose, will remove if not allowed, you can find the image here: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000596407L.html)

ac596407_zpsfy623drb.jpeg

A early jet with drill Kormorans and Aim-9Ls (like the green contrast), early Cerberus, wings swept to mid position and my thinking at the moment is quite a nice clean finish like the one above, might change my mind in the painting though :)

The Aires cockpit arrived a few days ago to which I am in the middle of painting. It is a beautiful bit of resin for the scale, really very well done and in all honesty I think I need to shrink myself to be able to paint it properly, the switches etc are unbelievably tiny! Despite Aires seemingly giving you the choice of either their cockpit or having a front gear bay, after enough sanding and eventually replacing the front floor of the cockpit I managed to squeeze it in to quite a nice fit now, just some filling around the front coaming left in the fit respect.

IMG_0724_zps8pgcl8rw.jpg

The only mod I have done is flick the main belts above and back over the headbox having seen it in quite a lot of ref material. I think there should be some more belts that Aires hasn't provided so I'll add them too, all a WIP. A lot of cockpit side panels seems to be replaced and/or in slightly different shades of grey looking at pictures so I tired to replicate it a bit to make it look a little less uniform, it looks more subtle in real life than the photo suggests. As I say its probably only 50% done so plenty more things to sort out there.

Fits like so,

IMG_0726_zpssnjviinx.jpg

Stores wise I'm currently backdating a pair of Kormoran II to I for this build as these early jets used the latter like the F-104. The Cerberus pod is from the old Airfix Nato weapons set (a gem imho) which was rescribed and some little bits added, compared to my refs it looks very accurate, nice one Airfix! The Boz pod had the rear holes drilled and is angled the correct way for a usual early MFG1 jet. RAF GR.1s usually had them on the other wing so you have to cut and rotate the rear if going the RAF route.

IMG_0731_zpssxhvnucr.jpg

I always try and make masking a little easier if I can so I deviated from the instructions and took a tip from many Tornado builds on here, making the wings removable and adding them at the end. As the sweep will be fixed, I had a crack at making some wing seals from Milliput. They have been roughly sculpted in the below pic and now need refining but I'm quite pleased with my crack at it over the kit's attempt. I tired to put in some of the folds and 'wiggleness' seen in my refs.

IMG_0729_zpsjvj042nd.jpg

And a overall pic of the fuselage,

IMG_0733_zpsxioojpfp.jpg

The nose is from Bra-Z models and looks ok shape wise, though it has been cast slightly oval (maybe you can see the step in places from the fuse contours to the nose) and will need some good blending to fit. Once the pit is finished I can join up the fuselage and progress should get pretty quick from there as most of the the other sub assemblies are done now.

Thanks for looking in and hopefully some more updates soon,

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 7

Superb work there David. A shame it will not likely make the closing date but worth not rushing for this level of detail.

• Like 1

Fantastic work, and an ideal entry for this GB. Would love to see it finished in time - I am currently working hard (playing hard?) on my F-15C at the moment - will finish it in time if it means chopping out the real world for a while!

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

Thank you fellas :).

Col- I'll give it my best but being realistic I'll probably only get to the panting stage as the deadline passes, will continue the build however!

Paul- Hope you mange to get the F-15 done, looks like it will be a corker and one I hope to replicate one day!

I finished the pit tonight and glued all the main fuselage, will post an update sometime this weekend with hopefully most of the main airframe ready for paint.

cheers,

David

Hi guys, I managed to make good work this weekend!

The original plan to replace the kit nose with the BraZ resin bit turned out to be not the best way to go. I said in the previous post that the nose was cast oval. After fitting and glueing it, I quickly realised that the double cone nature of the Tornado nose had in fact been cast at an angle also, completely miss-shapen! I tired sanding it to make it symmetrical like the real thing but I stopped as I would soon end up with something very close to the original kit nose cone having to remove so much material.

Here are 3 pictures, 2 with reference lines marked on to show the non-symmetrical nature of the nose. They seem to be quite complimentary in fact, in the flesh it looks more obvious and not good at all.

IMG_20160807_114437711_zps6wuhghvj.jpg

IMG_20160807_114437711%20copy%202_zps74t

IMG_20160807_114437711%20copy_zpshrgaia8

A lot has been said about the 1/72 Revell nose, but it isn't simply the nose that is incorrect. The fuselage forward from the canopy is too thin, tapers too much to meet the Revell nose and also has incorrect panel lines.

I thought about trying to sand the kit nose into something better but it would just be undersize, here it is from the box. If you look at a pic of a real Tornado the difference is stark.

IMG_20160807_114539537_zpsqqekmkdb.jpg

Plan B was put into action where I kit bashed the Airfix 1/72 Tornado nose and front fuselage onto the Revell kit, everything forward of the gun port and canopy. The Airfix nose always looked the most accurate to my eyes. I found a close to perfect side on picture, with next to no distortion, scaled it exactly to the kit and took measurements and shapes from that. It looked good to which I then checked them all to my Revell 1/48 kit and was surprised they agree nearly exactly! Massively lucked out on this one! :thumbsup:

IMG_20160807_103008383_zps1vswqx8o.jpg

The photo above is just a rough placement to what I did, when placed against the photo it is bang on to my eyes. I dare try and mod it anymore unless I mess it up but I might make the double cone nature a little more obvious however.

IMG_20160807_102616553_zpsnmww1vcl.jpg

The gun port seems a little too far back but I'm not gonna change that, quite satisfied with the result now. Sorry to bang on about the nose :mental: but for me its one of the 'features' of the Tornado so I tried to get it as right as I could.

The intake underneath the forward fuselage (forgot what its called) was positioned about its own length further back than what the kit suggests, it would foul one of the avionic compartment doors if left where Revell wants it. This and other scoops were open up a little too. Not sure what the heck gone on inside the forward gear bay, will require some clean up!

IMG_20160807_103341028_zpscxvznkrb.jpg

The black demarcations inside the intakes were painted before assembly as it would have been impossible to do when all assembled. The ramp and some bits in there are not the most accurate but it looks about right, I've sprayed the whole interior rear of the intake tunnels matt black so they do the 'disappearing effect', my preferred method in this scale.

IMG_20160807_103408397_zpsevybf5vr.jpg

The small vanes inside the rear of the intake tops were added,

IMG_20160807_125530246_zpsfxlerwqg.jpg

Some photos of the cockpit. The Navs console isn't glued and will be added at the end to aid masking, as will the seats. The front coaming will get some extra details then sprayed black and I'll also remove the paint chipping on the pilots floor, just isn't right for a newish jet!

IMG_20160807_103445867_zpsb996cv8y.jpg

IMG_20160807_103426592_zpstipauypn.jpg

IMG_20160807_103517664_zpsqsafgt0s.jpg

And finally a shot of the nearly finished fuselage. The front canopy has been tinted with a mix of Tamiya smoke and orange which gives a nice dark golden hue. Its not quite as strong as the photo suggests but is noticeable in many real photos. I have a great old magazine off eBay where a few photos were taken inside the production line of these early Marineflieger jets, one showing the cockpit with the tint and how obvious it was on the front canopy.

IMG_20160807_103227234_zpsl6arrfhu.jpg

Just cleaning up some of the various filler and superglue bits you may have noticed knocking around in the photos, a quick rescrub of various things and then I shouldn't be too far away from beginning to paint this jet :)

One last thing, building this Tornado has reignited my interest with the aircraft and I've begun eyeing up my 1/32 kit. No prizes who guesses which version it will be! :D After building a few 1/32 Starfighters recently, I thought they were big but this one is a whole different kind of big, especially with that monstrosity slung underneath! I know whats next on the list when I get back modelling ^_^

IMG_20160807_125658044_zpsfaszhtwq.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

David.

• Like 7

That looks superb David.

Great work with the nose, a vast improvement over the originals shape.

The cockpit look very good indeed, never ceases to amaze what you can do in 1/72 scale. I think her 1/32 big brother will also look fantastic, at this rate you will have more Marineflieger aircraft than they did!

• Like 1