I read with great interest about the using a combination of the Airfix Spitfire IX and XIX kits to make a Mk XIV, and thought I'd give it a try, using the nose and tail from the Mk XIX and grafting them onto the Mk IX fuselage.

IMG_2482_zpsmcdohgoh.jpg

IMG_3023_zpsoc2iy6nv.jpg

IMG_3029_zpsh8m8jl6d.jpg

IMG_3019_zps6j5i0sgs.jpg

It was so much fun, that I did the same with an AZ Joypack Mk IX fuselage.

IMG_2528_zpsjrnt3ptn.jpg

IMG_3018_zpsprhfkapx.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsgagfsv88.jpg

IMG_3012_zpsiyp3t6dp.jpg

And finally, since it's best to build Spitfires in threes, the AZ Mk XIV kit was built alongside OOB.

IMG_3033_zpsux8wo2u7.jpg

IMG_3035_zpswrlyxnrg.jpg

IMG_3031_zpshn0o4jli.jpg

A meandering WIP is here.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 35

A great trio Cookie - three really good models emerged from all the chopping and glueing, far more than I would ever attempt.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Hi Cookie. Well all that plastic surgery certainly paid off! A great trio of Spitfires! Excellent builds and finish! Very well done!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Cookie. Well all that plastic surgery certainly paid off! A great trio of Spitfires! Excellent builds and finish! Very well done!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Agreed 100%! :clap: :clap: And I love the photo sequence of in-progress surgery and finished model :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Still can't get over the level of work that has gone into these cookies, real workmanship. And all rather inspiring....I may just chop up some of mine right now!!

In fact every model in that thread is an absolute winner.... And there are a few of them!

Rob

• Like 1

Three little beauties Cookie, and the "Airfix XIX nose & tail onto the IX fuselage" method would be my preferred option if I were to start again, as it gets round the short XIX cockpit area. Lovely choice of colour schemes too. Great work. Justin

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Simon, I haven't measured, but the pics do make the AZ hybrid appear to have a longer nose. The distance from the windscreen to the back of the spinner must be the same as the Airfix hybrid (give or take the width of my razor saw), since they are both cut from the Airfix XIX kit, but the AZ wing is much narrower in chord, causing the nose to seem longer. I think the Airfix hybrid looks more Spitfire-like to my eye and I think that I'd go that route if I were to make another high back Mk XIV. There was also a fourth hybrid in this project - a mix of the AZ IX fuselage and 'low back' AZ XIV nose and tail that did not turn out so well.

• Like 2

Congratulations Cookie!!!!

All awe inspiring, to be sure and each Spit is perfect-looking.

Were the roundels and codes painted as opposed to using decals for the first two models? If yes, success!

JR

• Like 1

... not like FrankenSpits at all (which would be their fate if I had tried it!) B)

I think they are very successful FrankenSpits (as ever with Cookie's surgery masterclass) :winkgrin::coolio::D :D

Ciao

• Like 1

Great trio of Spits, Coockie. I like the first one especially.

Your surgery paid off. You managed to build three elegant birds. I built an Academy Mk XIV last year but it's a bit "stubby" aft of the canopy.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...