1/350 Soviet Typhoon SSBN Dmitri Donskoi (TK-208) ##Finished##

HI Chaps, starting post, pics to be added of sprue shots.

I will be building the first of the six typhoon submarines, launched in 1980 and in operation with the northern fleet.

The kit is the Alanger Typhoon, not to be confused with the hobbyboss botch job. Although no longer in production this is still one of the best kits of this beast.

All the best Chris

• Like 8

Good to see a Soviet sub in this GB. As a weapon that was a major player in the Cold War and would have no doubt played an, at the very least, big if not decisive role in the event things took a more 'interesting' turn the nuclear missile boats deserve coverage.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great comments guys.

Heres the obligatory sprue shots, you can see how big this bad boy is by the tape measure and the last photo (yes thats people standing on it) LOL

DSC_2892_zpsecwb3z1n.jpg

DSC_2893_zpslsfqg0qh.jpg

typhoon_zpscneegbfg.jpg

All the best Chris

Drat forgot to take photo of conning tower as off the sprue, :banghead::nuke:

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Other modelling job finished. Finally off the starting blocks with the Typhoon, hull halves cleaned up, lower fin assembled, rudder assembled, paints ready. Pics to follow shortly.

Chris

• Like 2

Looking forward to watching this. Subs are something Ive never considered building, but Im rather intrigued.

• Like 1

Pics as promised, firstly started by painting matt white for fibreglass missile caps, first coat.

DSC_2978_zpsf1pypqrl.jpg

Heres a pic of the assembled lower rear fin, additional details to be added also the reactor water intakes, to be drilled out.

DSC_2980_zpscyblcy9d.jpg

white base for tie down points on upper hull next to silo hatches

DSC_2979_zpskc5xwcuj.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 4

So for what i thought would be a straight forward build, lo and behold from studying pics in my reference thread and a set of drawings i have on my computer, the rear end needs a lot more attention. (see scrapping TK-13) there is a towed array tube on both sides running from the conning tower to the rear dive planes, which ends in a faired in section. this is not depicted on any Typhoon model, past or present with the exception of the Mikromir Typhoon, so if you want an accurate model there is only one choice.

Chris

Not to mention SSN by the same. Its a real eye opener when you compare the conjecture kits by revell and dragon, then the total c**k up by hobbyboss which considering the info on the net available you ask why?

Anyway its a challenge, ordered some 1mm rod for the outer towed array tubes which rundown the outer hull.

Really enjoying building this beast from the cold war era, can just see the american ssn sitting on the seabed listening to the lead boat setting sail (blind mans bluff).

Chris

So moving on mods to lower rudder done, strakes added, scribed new lower hinge and filled in incorrect bit.

DSC_2982_zpsegqlu8gp.jpg

Used a dark brown base coat on the silo's as im hoping to achieve a worked look for the typhoon, not fresh out of dry dock.

DSC_2981_zpsxehpjayp.jpg

Reactor cooling intakes drilled out and side strakes fitted after much straightening

DSC_2983_zpshqt0luvt.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

Yes Craig she certainly is at 20 inches (510mm) long, takes up most of my modelling area.

Silo's now given matt green enamel coat, as well as underside of top half, ive added brown to the hatch opening lips as this is what you see when the hatch is open in reference photos, the green is totally worn away.

Then i fixed the silo's into place. So my next job is to paint some white onto the top half, add mask in my waterline marking. Im doing this before joining the hull halves as it will give me an edge to measure up from to keep the line straight.

DSC_2984_zpsaiz7lqej.jpg

DSC_2985_zpslre9thhy.jpg

DSC_2986_zps4efxdh2l.jpg

DSC_2987_zpsuirdh11h.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 2

Small update top half now had two coats of matt white, still a little patchy but it will serve its purpose.

Next is to mark the windows on the sail and add red markings to the top, reactor, emergency buoys etc. Also i need to scribe in the lines for the escape modules both side of the sail.

DSC_29891_zps1ro5qeqc.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

Hi Andy, yes there is, as this kit has no decals, i have to paint the waterline on, also the various hatch markings are red and white, so a little masking followed by a satin black coat and voila waterline etc (i hope!!)

Housesparrow, if your gonna get one, get the Mikromir one, the hobbyboss one is rubbish as far as accuracy is concerned and would require too much work to correct it.

Chris

• Like 1

Had a read through your posts up to date and really enjoying the progress Chris. Nice work and I'm learning a lot about these machines and the models that represent them (or fail to!).

• Like 1

So back on with the typhoon, have painted some details on the upper hull, tie down points at silo hatches, emergency markings, hatch lines behind the sail for the two towed communications buoys (the look like little aircaft), had a slight paint bleed on right so will sort that out later. rear hatch by the tail currently working on. Engraved escape module lines either side of the sail.

Windows in the sail and waterline mark next before mating the two halves.

DSC_29931_zpshh7g4cxx.jpg

DSC_29941_zpssffbbgec.jpg

DSC_29951_zpscvbbk2qz.jpg

DSC_29961_zps003dookq.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 4

Small update, returning to the typhoon after a slight diversion and some more research, the waterline marking is nearly done, the lower hull has a brown undercoat, the reason for this is that the sonar array areas are a slight reddish brown so hoping a brown undercoat will give a red top coat the right hue, pics to follow.

As a result of trawling the net and my reference thread, ive come to the conclusion that despite all the various colour schemes seen for the under hull, in drgs and models, their wrong.

Basically the rear has a split black and red section as below which only extends as far as can be seen, stopping at the lower rudder but continuing on for the extent of the underside of the side fins.

941-3_zpsd49f58a2.jpg

The remainder of the lower hull is black, with the exception of the sonar arrays which are clearly marked in red.

cX3ODdA_zpsjzxocjil.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

So after a hectic week finally got back to my beasty, waterline worked reasonably well, just requires some finishing and fine tuning.

The two halves are now joined, despite some distortion between the two got a reasonable fit that should only require a little sanding with the exception of the bow, which i hope! i can get away with some vigourus sanding.

DSC_3024_zpscrvb5yli.jpg

DSC_3025_zps7qm7lmns.jpg

DSC_3026_zpsxvvqhmzd.jpg

Chris

• Like 5