1/350 Soviet Typhoon SSBN Dmitri Donskoi (TK-208) ##Finished##

The launch tube hatches is a really nice detail here I think.

Btw, I've been wondering, do you know how the bridge is supposed to be looking with the hatches up there on top of the conning tower?

I've seen on submarine kits that PE parts represent a hatch that simply fold to an upward position, and stays pointing up into the air blocking some of the view from the bridge outwards. This has always seemed wrong to me, but I honestly don't know how it looks on submarines in reality.

• Like 1

Hi Cliff its a representation of all the silos being opened, as they have to be opened individually, by a button press, its meant to show this stepped opening of them being opened in pairs.

Housesparrow thats the pop up windshield, not all submarines have them, some russian submarines have an enclosed bridge with windows for rough weather like the typhoon and oscar class for example.

Some older western submarines have them.

heres a link

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_are_wind_shields_on_a_submarine

at the smaller scales the PE windshields are a token detail as they should be see through.

Also a few submarines have a pop up fairing to close up the bridge opening on the surface to reduce drag.

Its always worth checking photos of the particular submarine you are modelling and at what point in its career, as there are always mods to be applied.

Hope this helps Chris

• Like 1

I should have been more clear. The hatches I was thinking about are the ones that open to each side. It sort of looks like this kind of hatch is a part of the hull, and which when closed cover the open bridge on the conning tower.

I could always do an image search but it is more fun asking around sometimes. Been researching so many things with image search, it isn't fun anymore for me. :)

That's an interesting pose for the silo doors Chris, adds a sense of animation to the model, rather like the flowers of hell coming into full bloom.

• Like 1

Finally finished, waterline around rear drove me nuts, had to hand paint in end, tape just would not follow the complex curves.

Painted in humbrol enamels using a hairy stick and finished with a satin humbrol clear cote.

DSC_3079_zpskx7max3o.jpg

DSC_3086_zpsxk8j4syp.jpg

DSC_3085_zpsv5p0bedk.jpg

DSC_3081_zpsb8amo794.jpg

DSC_3082_zps1qgncidw.jpg

Great group build, all the best Chris

• Like 6

I do like that and I dont do maritime stuff at all. Very well done.

Shoot me now, but all I would suggest is considering an airbrush. I used a hairy stick for donkeys years and was terrified by the things, but the missus bought me one so I had to at least try it - far less painful than I ever imagined and my models took a good jump up too.

Im not knocking you or the sub, just thinking that with a big plain surface like that youd really feel the benefit. :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

That is fantastic Chris! I know next to nothing about these beasts but having a read up on the real things after your model I didn't realise how big they are, must be an impressive model the flesh. I really like the life that the opening hatches bring to the model too, awesome stuff all round!

• Like 1