A Hunter from Fife *Finished*

So, any progress yet? :bounce:

Yes, I've completed my stash stock check (and most of the boxes made it back into storage too :coolio: ).

Duncan B

I'm going up to the man cave now so who knows what might happen?

• Like 1

So just to prove I made it to said man-cave here is my first proper update....

1012CB0B-A1F4-41B2-A133-552A6CA4151E_zps

....I've cleared my desk ready to make a start (did I mention my chronic procrastination problem already?).

Duncan B

• Like 2

Seriously though, I now have a problem choosing which kit and which mark to make. I have 2x Revell FGA9, 1x Revell F6 and 1x PJ Productions F4 in the stash.

To complete my RAF Leuchars Hunter section I need 1x 43 Sqn F1, 1x 222 Sqn F1, 1x 43 Sqn F4, 1x 222 Sqn F4, 1x 43 Sqn F6 and FGA9 (i.e. I've only made a 43 Sqn T7 so far!). So I have a shortfall of 2 Hunters if I intend making every mark or I could make only 1x F1 (43 'cause they were first?) and 1x F4 (222 'cause they bowed out on them?), an F6 and an FGA9?

So as things stand with my current stash I could immediately make the 43 Sqn F6 and FGA9 with OOB builds and either an F4 OOB (or F1 with a wee bit fiddling) with the PJ kit and that would leave an FGA9 kit for whatever. Or I could convert them all/some (probably into half built kits in Really Useful 9 litre plastic boxes as is normal for me) using the sets I already have.

Argh, my brain hurts :frantic: .

DB

Well after having a wee play around with the PJ Production F4 and seeing how gappy the underside of the fuselage joint will be I've decided that I'll come back to that one 'later'.

Also as I only need 1 FGA9 it makes sense to me that the other one will become one of my required F1 or F4s as I would have to hack bits off it anyway to get to something useful for my purposes.

So this leaves me with the option to build my F6 OOB or to backdate it too. I think I'll take the coward's way out and build it as an F6, that way I might be in with a chance of actually finishing it (in time).

So now I have a desk full of relevant bits, time to cut some sprues.

4F1076FD-1301-4647-806F-C19352D3A2BF_zps

Progress of sorts, yes? I'm assuming they would have MB3H's fitted in 1959? If not I have an MB2H in the stash too.

Duncan B

• Like 2

So, uh, that's an F.6 you're possibly thinking about maybe making. Perhaps. Right? From 43 squadron?

That's right Col.....however..... I might still convert it back to an F4 !! Best to wait and see what comes off the table because I obviously haven't got a clue what it'll be.

Oh heck, I'd better decide what I'm going to build for the Bf109 GB, there's only a year to go before it starts.

DB

So as I understand this modelling malarky the idea is that you start out with a number of small parts which, over a period of time (sometimes quite a substantial amount of time) the number count reduces as the size of the model increases.

So it would appear then that I'm going backwards!

BADB422B-2692-4005-8B3F-BBF5431BCA5C_zps

To be fair it does now look like I have a coherent plan (looks can be deceptive), stung into action by the Colin "brother's" scathing remarks above.

Here's how I got to this remarkably destructive stage.

327C782D-DF1F-4798-97FF-DE358EF428EC_zps

I had marked up all the details that would need corrected to replicate an F4 and was close to getting the filler out when I noticed that the NACA ducts were in the wrong place so that swung it for the Freightdog F4 conversion set.

136FDC00-5A49-4CF2-90F1-C9D8C4C6D35A_zps

Scriber out to increase the depth for the saw to follow...

Sawing away..

[url=http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/duncanjblack/media/BM%20Hawker%20Hunter%20Group%20Build/502B0E1D-E6C0-4AD4-B342-C252D881D169_zpsvrey0c3o.jpg.html'>502B0E1D-E6C0-4AD4-B342-C252D881D169_zps

more to follow

DB

• Like 6

Ah, the last update ended on a cliffhanger. Following with interest now! Have two of Freightdogs' F4 conversion sets myself so am wondering how they behave.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

Interesting place to start!

Yes, increasing the parts count isn't the usual starting point, at least the wait for me to ruin the kit won't be too long this time.

Ah, the last update ended on a cliffhanger. Following with interest now! Have two of Freightdogs' F4 conversion sets myself so am wondering how they behave.

Jay

I'm wondering too, there's nothing quite like trying something new in the full glare of your peers.

Duncan B

• Like 3

there's nothing quite like trying something new in the full glare of your peers.

What, building a model? :wicked:

Sorry, couldn't resist, you've done the hardest bit Duncan so should be steady progress from now on.

• Like 1

Modest progress to report, the parts count is still up from the original but I've been looking at ways to redress that with methods that include (but are not limited to) gluing things together (other methods include throwing bits away).

It also appears that a decision has been made with regards to what this might eventually become. Cue fanfare.... I've decided to go for an F1 of 43 Sqn in honour of the fact that they were the first front line Squadron to operate the Hunter. I would liked to have done a 222 Sqn F4 but I don't have the correct (raised) squadron markings so unless someone can point me towards a photo of the earlier style squadron markings on a 222 Sqn F4 then that's it.

I've been pouring over various books this morning and have found quite a few photos of 43 Sqn F1's sporting Sabinas (and strangely quite a few photos of their F4s not wearing them) but I suspect that everyone associates the F1 with the clean look and the F4 with the voluptuous bulged look so no salinas for me (that's reduced the parts count by 2 straight away).

All that theoretical stuff is very good however it's action you are looking for so on with the photos (don't be too disappointed).

I've been cleaning up the cut marks and fettling the joint between the fuselage plug and the plastic, a plug it may be but it isn't plug and play (see what I did there?)

743D9F21-DF5D-4C8A-8859-A4C369D7FED9_zps

A bit of a gap there so some thinning of the plastic and the resin commenced...

C7B07CAA-D8DF-4BA5-A3FE-40EF8A1D63B7_zps

....and after thinning out I got this. There is a very slight step but by the time I've slapped some 5 minute epoxy in there it'll fill out a little. The epoxy will hopefully fill the slight gap I have on the underside too.

80A63628-6B58-46C8-832E-BBDCD7DB2851_zps

During my photographic search this morning I also noticed that there was a little vent just ahead of the sabina that only appears on the later marks so it's been marked for removal. I'll also have to mark out and make the cartridge ejection holes and vents but I'm still looking for info on them (I'm sure Col posted the layout of them somewhere on BM but haven't found it yet).

E76F6029-8589-4917-ACEB-16A24DFC1FF8_zps

So that's it for just now, I have orders to go and cut the grass this afternoon or else :fight: .

Duncan B

• Like 2

Tidy work so far Duncan :thumbsup:

For information about the early ejector chute layout have a look for Jon Kunac Tabinor's 48th scale Hunter conversion thread last year. What you need should be in there ;)

• Like 1

Tidy work so far Duncan :thumbsup:

For information about the early ejector chute layout have a look for Jon Kunac Tabinor's 48th scale Hunter conversion thread last year. What you need should be in there ;)

That's a great thread but I'm not sure how I'm going to translate the drawing onto the plastic.

DB

And the answer to my own question is like this....

E9459D45-4E25-4831-9EE2-8E2F4FFFDE14_zps

I placed the masking tape over the drawing and marked out the ports then transferred the tape to the model. All I have to do now is to drill through to open up the holes. I know I've transferred a 2D drawing onto a 3D shape but I think it'll work ok.

I've also dry fitted the front end of the fuselage to the plug, it will need a little sanding but not too much, that'll be for tomorrow.

6F17A700-7192-467E-B848-302D88E4AACB_zps

D0CA53EA-B576-401A-90A7-AF259B44DB9C_zps

Duncan B

• Like 4

Before drilling those slots I'd use the gun muzzle tray part as a reference point Duncan. The chutes will be in line with the muzzle openings.

• Like 2

Before drilling those slots I'd use the gun muzzle tray part as a reference point Duncan. The chutes will be in line with the muzzle openings.

Yep, I'd already thought of that, at least I should now have the relative spacings between the chutes (if the plan is accurate of course) and then it's just a matter of lining them up with the gun troughs as you said.

DB

• Like 1

So I marked out the holes again lined up with the muzzles and chain drilled the holes for the cartridge cases (isn't it?)...

867EDC9F-9D53-4DFC-A4CF-9DBE9E6E8806_zps

[url=http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/duncanjblack/media/BM%20Hawker%20Hunter%20Group%20Build/867EDC9F-9D53-4DFC-A4CF-9DBE9E6E8806_zpso5osgn4o.jpg.html

...then I looked at the front cover of the Hunter book that Col gave me a borrow of.

CEDD3495-9E81-41AF-8653-E0B979269ED1_zps

Those inboard slots don't look like they are in line with the muzzles at all! It then dawned on me that I had the Flightpath Detail set that includes the gun pack.

A50C4813-A413-4884-875D-A8C7BC26EDB0_zps

I think this part in the top corner of the picture is the gun pack outer skin and if so those slots are definitely in a different place to where I've put them. I'm going to have to fill and remark the slots but at least I can use the etched part as a template this time.

950B0F5B-FBFF-4CE2-A1A5-8414E56D3C3D_zps

Oh well even progress to the rear is still progress!

Duncan B

• Like 1

Ah, bugger, sorry Duncan :oops: Ironic that the reference book I lent you shows I was talking pish on its front cover. Hope you can get the slots sorted without undue stress.

• Like 1