Avenger%20title_zpsbiyzt4en.jpg

Hello all,

this is my latest completion, Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Grumman Avenger. This kit is no shake and bake model, but with some effort it can be built without too many drama's.

I chose to build a subject close to my heart: This Avenger is JZ670 "AHBX" of 707 Squadron Fleet Air Arm. She was an Avenger Mk.III and she can be seen in the photograph below during her time at HMS Ringtail in West Lancashire, England.

avenger-707-squadron-just-after-VJ-day-c

In an attempt to bring my Avenger up to Fleet Air Arm Spec, I scratch built an observers position behind the pilots seat. This involved installing a seat, fold out table and instruments. I did the best I could, but I have no idea how accurate my efforts have been. On that note I would like to say thanks to the forum members here who went out of their way to give advice and share references.

I used the Freightdog Models decal sheet "Brits at Sea-Part 1" for the 707 sqn markings and I mixed my own shade of Gloss Sea Blue from Tamiya acrylics. I like the colour, again it may not be "spot on"

Here are some photo's of the finished model, I hope you like it! You can see more pics of this build and it's W.I.P. on my blog. http://thescalemodelhangar.blogspot.co.uk

DSC_5893_zpsqv8bklfc.jpgDSC_5886_zpswhkktlzs.jpgDSC_5924_zpsg42vt2h5.jpgDSC_5936_zpsc0kzygyt.jpg

Edited by Tango 1
  • Like 48

Wow that looks fabulous,.......you`ve really hit the nail on the head with this one, which is also one that I intend to do myself `one day'.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you!

The kit is excellent for detail and engineering but its construction notes, in my opinion could be better. It really is the one time you need to read every note! The interior is superb but there is so much of it you really have to be sure you are happy when you put the fuselage halves together or you will find fit problems. Once you are over that hurdle the rest of the kit fits beautifully and its plain sailing from there!

So yes I recommend the kit, but would urge caution in regard to the assembly and instructions. Hope that helps.