***2 Finished*** PBS Revell Hunter, make that hunters

acquired a can of halfords aluminium so started the 2nd to finish in RAF camo with silver undersides, and as it seems typical at the moment the plan was not ago, the xtra decal sheet only has one set of high viz roundels, so maybe I'll do a Swiss fga58 instead....F7F6D620-F2BD-43C0-B7CD-D08C0F92BCC6_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu

silver underside done, halfords aluminium is definitely much more forgiving than humbrol 11, took hours and hours of sanding to get rid of scratch marks when I used that, this time just a good few solid minutes. Slight bit of overspray on the upper which can be corrected later, not sure how that happened, whole upper was totally masks, must have been some small gaps i'd missed

0F04629E-DACB-4DD4-B609-BB58A47B8B5E_zps

1F4700BA-6693-4D86-8AFB-654A5D8CD419_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu

canopys all on, as is the gun bulges I'd forgotten to add, and the SNEP pods are painted, now to do the bit I hated last time, the lower demarcation on the tanks, and also even more of problem, the little bulges that go on the wing roundels, and paint matching with the roundel....

Tanks and the bulges proved not to be an issue, turns out Revell aqua matt blue is a super match for the roundel blue when given a gloss coat (decals were revell so maybe not a coincidence), not done yet as I still have to add the tank support bars tommorow, powered on with this as annoyingly my hannants order didn't turn up which stopped me working on a number of other builds, and another I can't work on untill I order have microscale film for the decals, which I've not ordered as I can't decide what else to buy with it, so many choices.....

Also contemplating ordering some winsor and newton satin to give both this and a first one a satin final coat, never been happy with the gloss I've used on my RAF postwar builds

86BEB073-1215-4D24-883C-58AE3CD593A4_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

All done unless I decide to satin coat it, pics to come tommorow, had to wash some dust off and it's not dry yet, also gave the first one I did in 2014 a funeral, to make space on the shelf, did grab the intact pitot to replace the repaired one on the fr10 61BC8F25-9D76-450C-97E5-6416044C257A_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

As can be guessed from my status finishing this off din't go to plan, dropped it on the floor, with bits flying off in all directions, repaired that as merifully all breaks were clean....then what happened as I was touching up the canopy? it fell to the floor again, even more bits including one wing went off this time. Took even longer to fix but its all done now. The question is before it goes in the gallery, would it look better with a satin finish?

AFF62778-091F-45CB-A0BB-246D4CAB68C9_zps

FC1EA18B-A44F-40DF-AF78-C6839E1B8EA5_zps

F8441F69-0104-47F2-B00F-AD553C8195EC_zps

AFF62778-091F-45CB-A0BB-246D4CAB68C9_zps

That type of rocket pod only arrived when the Hunter was in the last few years of front line service so to be strictly accurate a matt/satin finish would be more appropriate but I find the gloss finish you have there more attractive. Your choice Stu.

You're example must have been involved in very early tests of the prototype pods. Or some sort of warp in space-time ;)

Have found a 54sqn hunter dated 1968 with the pods, though with a LAG underside, enough wiggle room to say maybe mine was still in silver in '68

haven't got the satin varnish, some bugga got the last pot on amazon before me so I didn't order it, maybe I should, or perhaps matt is suitable, at least maybe for the LAG one....