Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.3 - RAF Germany, 1980 (Airfix 1/72)

jrlx

EDIT:

This build was started in the 80s NATO vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB, back in 2016. As usual with me, I didn't manage to finish it in time and it's been on hold till now. I'll try to finish it now.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

After much consideration, since this GB got into the official list for 2016, I finally decided to build a Airfix Harrier GR.3. I'm choosing scheme B, as used by Nº 4 Squadron ®, RAF Germany, based in Gutersloh, 1980.

I considered building a Phantom F-4F in Luftwaffe livery (Norm 72) but couldn't find a picture proving that the specific aircraft I have decals for was still using this scheme in 1980-81, though I found pictures of other F-4F still using it in September 1980. Anyway, I'm still building 3 Phantoms, so I could try a different type.

I also considered Italeri's Mig-29, which I have in my stash, but I will keep it for the Mig-29 GB.

I'm still waiting for the kit to arrive from Hannants. I'll also use Eduard's PE set for this kit (ref. 73495)

I'll post pictures as soon as I start building it.

Cheers

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
Thread moved from the 80s NATO vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB
  • Like 8

Excellent choice Jamie. The RAF Harriers were going to be about as close to the front line as any air asset could get if things kicked off.

• Like 1

Hi Jaime,

its a great kit, the same plastic as the GR.1/AV-8A, but don't forget the top of the tail isn't quite the right size or shape.

Its not 'the end of the world' if you leave it, but corrected tails are available 'after market' or you can modify the kit part.

Anyway, enjoy it and I'll be pulling-up a chair - if you don't mind! :popcorn:

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

It's great having you on board! Thanks for letting me know about the tail problem in this kit. I wasn't aware of that and didn't find references to it in the few reviews I've read. I also hadn't found any AM replacements for the fin listed in Hannants or Scalemates.

However, with your warning, I managed to find this reference, with a discussion of the problem, a picture of Freightdog's replacement resin fin and a link to Freightdog's site:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_H_S_Harrier_GR_3_A04055_ATF_In_Box_Review_about40949.html.

Unfortunately the replacement fin is no longer listed in the site, nor in Hannants. So, I'll think if I can try and correct the fin myself.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello, I'm in here as I grew up 40 km away south of Gütersloh in the 70-80th. Very often I saw them heading for training lessons into the Sauerland. There was everytime much traffic with many german, british and american types and sometimes also very annoying, especially with the A-10 or the faster ones and their turned afterburners and sonic booms. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

After much consideration, since this GB got into the official list for 2016, I finally decided to build a Airfix Harrier GR.3. I'm choosing scheme B, as used by Nº 4 Squadron ®, RAF Germany, based in Gutersloh, 1980.

I considered building a Phantom F-4F in Luftwaffe livery (Norm 72) but couldn't find a picture proving that the specific aircraft I have decals for was still using this scheme in 1980-81, though I found pictures of other F-4F still using it in September 1980. Anyway, I'm still building 3 Phantoms, so I could try a different type.

I also considered Italeri's Mig-29, which I have in my stash, but I will keep it for the Mig-29 GB.

I'm still waiting for the kit to arrive from Hannants. I'll also use Eduard's PE set for this kit (ref. 73495)

Cheers

Jaime

Jaime, take a look at these decals. There are a few that go into the 80's with the camo.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRM3211

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hi Craig,

It's great having you on board! Thanks for letting me know about the tail problem in this kit. I wasn't aware of that and didn't find references to it in the few reviews I've read. I also hadn't found any AM replacements for the fin listed in Hannants or Scalemates.

However, with your warning, I managed to find this reference, with a discussion of the problem, a picture of Freightdog's replacement resin fin and a link to Freightdog's site:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_H_S_Harrier_GR_3_A04055_ATF_In_Box_Review_about40949.html.

Unfortunately the replacement fin is no longer listed in the site, nor in Hannants. So, I'll think if I can try and correct the fin myself.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime,

sorry if I've caused you a problem with my post, but once I became aware of it, its the sort of thing which would always 'bug' me if I didn't try and fix it!

My understanding is that, in reality, the same design of tail, with the rectangular radar receiver housing, was used on the GR.3 and Sea Harrier. Airfix got the shape and size right on their Shar kit, but wrong on their GR.3, so if you have one of their Shar Mk1 kits, you could either 'steal' it or use it as a pattern to make the slight adjustment.

it would seem that Freightdog was the most popular aftermarket supplier for the corrected tail and I'm surprised to hear that its missing from their current listing but perhaps because the alteration is so simple, a lot of builders started fixing it themselves?

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

Jaime, take a look at these decals. There are a few that go into the 80's with the camo.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hi Arniec,

Thanks for the link. There are some really interesting schemes in that sheet. Unfortunately, the 1/72 version doesn't seem to be available anywhere...

I have Fujimi's decals for the F-4F, which include 38+37 of JG 36 in Norm 72 and two other schemes. No dates are given for the schemes. I guess 38+37 carried the Norm 72 scheme at least into 1981, as I've seen many other F-4F pictures with that scheme from that year but I will leave it for a regular WIP.

Hi Jaime,

sorry if I've caused you a problem with my post, but once I became aware of it, its the sort of thing which would always 'bug' me if I didn't try and fix it!

My understanding is that, in reality, the same design of tail, with the rectangular radar receiver housing, was used on the GR.3 and Sea Harrier. Airfix got the shape and size right on their Shar kit, but wrong on their GR.3, so if you have one of their Shar Mk1 kits, you could either 'steal' it or use it as a pattern to make the slight adjustment.

it would seem that Freightdog was the most popular aftermarket supplier for the corrected tail and I'm surprised to hear that its missing from their current listing but perhaps because the alteration is so simple, a lot of builders started fixing it themselves?

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,

No trouble at all. In fact, that's the kind of information I'm always looking for, as I'm also a bit obsessed about accuracy (not that I bother to correct every inaccuracy...).

I'm thinking about correcting the fin myself, using the picture of the resin replacement in the link above, scaled to right size as a template. The only Sea Harrier I have is the FA2.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Craig,

Cheers

Jaime

Jaime, This is how I fixed the tail of my build in the Harrier GB from 2014. Here is the link. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960293-airfix-172-harrier-gr3-update-02-08-2014-finished/

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ooh that's a nice sheet of options. Pity they are out of stock as I'd be quite tempted myself...

From what I understand Freightdog get their products cast in batches so hopefully more stock of the corrected tail will appear again soon.

• Like 1

Jaime, This is how I fixed the tail of my build in the Harrier GB from 2014. Here is the link. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960293-airfix-172-harrier-gr3-update-02-08-2014-finished/

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Hi Arniec,

Thanks a lot for the link. It's much like how I was planning to do mine. I'll use a scaled version of the picture of Freightdog's fin to make sure the height of the fin is correct.

From what I understand Freightdog get their products cast in batches so hopefully more stock of the corrected tail will appear again soon.

Thanks Col., I'll keep a look on the on-line shops anyway but the correction seems simple enough for me to try it myself.

The sprues are already washed and dry. I'm not sure I'll be able to start it right away on Saturday, as I have several builds going on and would like to also enter the Spitfire GB (already started taking parts off the sprues) and the Helicopter GB (with a Zvezda Mi-24 Hind, which will be a real challenge, due to high level of detail of the kit).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Jaime

4 ® sqn. Didn't exist in the cold war by the way, they only got this moniker when they moved onto the T2 hawks.

Selwyn

Ex 4(AC) Sqn 1980-82

• Like 1

4 ® sqn. Didn't exist in the cold war by the way, they only got this moniker when they moved onto the T2 hawks.

Selwyn

Ex 4(AC) Sqn 1980-82

Do the ( R ) and (AC) have a meaning?

Wiki says:

gain, the squadron was not allowed to remain dormant for long, as it reformed on 1 January 1961 by renumbering No. 79 Squadron RAF, flying Hunter FR.10s in the low-level reconnaissance role. It re-equipped with the Hawker-Siddeley Harrier in 1970, first flying them from RAF Wildenrath in West Germany. It moved on to RAF Gütersloh in 1977.[4][10]

The squadron operated the Harrier until the final withdrawal of the type, receiving numerous upgrades and new versions over the years. In April 1999, the squadron left Germany to move to RAF Cottesmore.[4]

RAF.MOD says:

On 4 Jan 1977 the Sqn moved to RAF Gutersloh on the withdrawal of air defence Lightnings in order to be closer to the army formations it was earmarked to support. At the end of Feb 1977, the Sqn strength increased to 18 aircraft/24 pilots with the recent disbandment of No 20 Sqn at RAF Wildenrath.

In Aug 1978 the Sqn took over the Harrier GR3 support of the British forces in Belize, sharing the commitment with No 1(F) Sqn and No 3(F) Sqn until withdrawal in 1993. In 1982 following the Falklands conflict, Sqn pilots deployed to the Falklands on a regular basis until withdrawal of the Harrier GR3 from theatre in 1985.

The Sqn continued operating the Harrier GR3 until 1989 when it was replaced with the much enhanced and bigger Harrier GR5 with greatly improved range/payload and Hands on Throttle and Stick (HOTAS) cockpit. This was followed by the GR7 ‘night attack’ aircraft 2 years later.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/4squadron.cfm

Is there a mix up with IV and 4 here? Or something else?

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Thanks all for kindly providing information and links. I'm always interested in knowing as much as possible about the subjects I'm modelling.

This week I bought Aviation Classics' issue on the Harrier and seems to have a lot of info about Germany-based aircraft.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

If you are interested in the historical background onthe harriers in germany, then buy the airdoc ADP014. It's german/english and the worth the 15 € in every case. You can find it also in the net, but it's your choice. I like classic books more than ebooks. Cheers from Germany.

• Like 1

Thanks SleeperService. This new tool Harrier seems to have just enough weapons but I'll see when I actually start to build it.

Cheers

Jaime