Revell 1/72 Tornado F3 - COMPLETED

I've found this quote about the kit on IPMS(UK) Tornado SIG:
For an ADV (F.3) In 1/72 the Hasegawa kit is very good, but the Revell re-boxing of the Italeri kit is almost as good but is considerably cheaper. The Revell boxing also corrected a problem with the canopy framing on the original Italeri release.
So they're pronounced the kit as good - here are theplasticsurgeon's thoughts:

I remember waiting with baited breath for the Revell Tornado GR1 - and with Revell under German ownership we waited a long time for an RAF option of that kit. However it was well worth the wait. Parts breakdown showed the potential for a fighter option - so why oh why didn't Revell do exactly that??

Edited Sept 2020:- That would have been a great way to build a Tornado F2, missing the fuselage extension behind the cockpit, and around the engine exhausts.

Missing that opportunity they released this kit, originally by Italeri. I hadn't realised the canopy correction until I was told of this last weekend.
As for the rest, well it's not really any better that average.
Engraved detail, good shape and fit are positives.
Instrument decals - well we expect those these days. Seats and straps - well I can tart them up myself.
Dubious attachment for the wing pylon - but enables me to remove them for transporting the completed model.
Instructions become less clear as detail is added, I missed the downward skew of the Sidewinder sub-pylons.
What really drags this kit down is the painting and decal instructions. I used Humbrol callouts from an Airfix kit instead of the Revell paint names.
Worse, all the decals are amalgamated on the sheet. I can't eliminate those for the other option.
I did get confused and fed up with all the stencils, I could probably add more. Certainly there are pivot points for outer pylons on the sheet, unmarked on the instructions - those were omitted.
None are shown for the missiles or fuel tanks - I'm sure that's also an omission.

However on the verge of completion - another Tornado is added to my collection. I've got the Airfix Club offering for first and final F3s in the stash for another rainy day.

• 2 months later...

I seem to have missed this 1st time around but having now found it via the gallery, I'm impressed. As Alan said, 11 sqn scheme, double points, I'm a bit of an 11 sqn groupie, heaven only knows why, maybe it's the sqn flashes & eagles.:unsure: I've a copy of this kit, & its great t o see how well it can come up. :thumbsup:

Steve.