Rogue One

No doubt knowing Disney, if you want all the bonus features you will have to buy the Blu-ray version.  The DVD version of TFA had no bonus material. :unamused: 

Different companies are selling the film with different content- Target/Walmart/Amazon/Best Buy each have their own versions of the fil with unique extras. I really hate this- it is something that the NuTrek films started and now it has spread. Not only do I need to find a good deal, but I need to know in advance which extras might be included so I can choose the right edition. I love the making of extras involving SFX and models, don't really care for actor interviews and costume work...

• Like 2

I used to go for all the trimmin's, but never watched 'em in the end, so I stopped getting special editions unless it added something to the movie, or there was a certain extra that I couldn't see elsewhere.  I do get the occasional 3D and 2D Blu-rays, as although my current telly isn't 3D, if I get one next time around, certain films would be worth watching in 3D :)  Wonder if they're going to be releasing a 4K Blu-Ray edition?  Hope so, for future reference.

Saw today on a different forum that the two BluRay discs will have the same content, the DVDs will be different. Not sure if this referred to the multi-disc sets that include DVDs also or the DVD only released sets.

I am not going to buy this film the first wek, I want it in peoples hands and hear from them what you actually get before I plunk my dollars down...

On 23-3-2017 at 9:52 PM, Richard Baker said:

Saw today on a different forum that the two BluRay discs will have the same content, the DVDs will be different. Not sure if this referred to the multi-disc sets that include DVDs also or the DVD only released sets.

I am not going to buy this film the first wek, I want it in peoples hands and hear from them what you actually get before I plunk my dollars down...

Besides, seeng as the imminent release lacks stuff like a commentary track and dleted scenes, Disney may pull another double dip like on TFA.

Cheers,

Andr 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Bought the Blu-ray and enjoyed the film just as much on the small screen as the big. The "uncanny valley" aspect of the CGI Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher is almost absent.

But the package (despite having a second disk) is very mean. A few featurettes about the characters and that's it. No deleted scenes or "making of" stuff nor yet a scrap of commentary. It is especially mean given that you can view several deleted scenes in the trailers! Bad form Disney, no need to insult the fans who buy early.

On 3/27/2017 at 7:07 AM, Richard Baker said:

Star Wars films have defined the Double Dip- except they go way beyond that with special editions and repackaging with new features. I have actually lost count on how many editions they have of those movies

There is only one edition of Star Wars. It came out in 1977. Anything else is merely a figment of George Lucas' imagination.

P.S.

Han shot first.

• Like 4

'Twer my b/day yesterday & because I'd given up my seat to the premier midnight screening locally so my youngest could go with his older brothers ( he'd not wanted to originally) my oldest rented a copy & we all watched it together, 'cept for my youngest who was messaging girls. :) I thoroughly enjoyed it, was inpressed by the Cushing /Fisher cgi work & like others, disappointed in the paucity of extras, not as much I suspect as my older two were, complete Star Wars geeks. :) I'm guessing we'll own a copy in time, when they drop in price a bit. We have the rest.

Steve.

16 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Bought the Blu-ray and enjoyed the film just as much on the small screen as the big. The "uncanny valley" aspect of the CGI Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher is almost absent.

But the package (despite having a second disk) is very mean. A few featurettes about the characters and that's it. No deleted scenes or "making of" stuff nor yet a scrap of commentary. It is especially mean given that you can view several deleted scenes in the trailers! Bad form Disney, no need to insult the fans who buy early.

Which disk set did you buy?

From what I have heard, the Target set with the 3D BluRay is the most complete with extra features,

And of course Han shot first- that is one of the most defining character moments in the film series.:-)

Edited by Richard Baker

On 26/04/2017 at 9:55 PM, Richard Baker said:

Which disk set did you buy?

From what I have heard, the Target set with the 3D BluRay is the most complete with extra features,

And of course Han shot first- that is one of the most defining character moments in the film series.:-)

I bought the two disk 2D set in "Limited Edition Artwork Sleeve" from a local Sainsburys, they chucked in a "Rogue One" novelisation paperback (worthless)

Extras are:

A Rogue Idea – Hear how ILM’s John Knoll came up with the movies concept, and why it’s the right film to launch the Star Wars standalone films.

Jyn: The Rebel – Get to know Rogue One’s defiant, resourceful survivor, and hear what it was like for Felicity Jones to bring her to life onscreen.

Cassian: The Spy – Diego Luna shares insights into his complex, driven character, who becomes a hero through selflessness, perseverance and passion.

K-2SO: The Droid – Explore the development of this reprogrammed Imperial droid, from initial pitch and character design through Alan Tudyk’s performance.

Baze & Chirrut: Guardians of the Whills – Go deeper into the relationship between these two very different characters, with Chinese superstars Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen.

Bodhi & Saw: The Pilot and the Revolutionary – Forest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed reflect on Saw Gerrera, the broken Rebel leader, and Bodhi Rook, the Imperial pilot who defects.

The Empire – Meet a dangerous new Imperial adversary…and cross paths once more with the most iconic villain of all time.

Visions of Hope: The Look of ‘Rogue One’ – The filmmakers describe the challenges and thrills of developing a bold new look for the movie that can fit within the world of the original trilogy.

The Princess & The Governor – See what it took to bring the vibrant young princess of Star Wars: A New Hope – as well as one of her most memorable foes – back to screen.

Epilogue: The Story Continues – Filmmakers and cast celebrate Rogue One’s premiere and look forward into the future, to the Star Wars stories yet to be told.

Rogue Connections – Uncover Easter eggs and film facts hidden throughout the movie that connect Rogue One to the Star Wars universe.

As far as I know they are identical on the three disk 3D version. From checking online even the "Steelbook" edition has nothing else on it. 

It feels horribly like there will be a second tranche release at a later date where the Cutting Room floor will be swept and the pockets of the faithful raided again. I feel like I'm being mugged honestly. I think that at the very least we could have got the trailers.

Did some checking- the 3D BluRay Target edition has a DVD with two additional features:

• Inside the Creature Shop (480p, 6:02): A detailed discussion of creature design, including details like how they live and move, what role they play in the film, and how they interact with and are influenced by the worlds in which they live. The piece explores design details and challenges and human performances inside costumes. It looks more closely at a couple of key aliens: the Mon Calamari and Pao.
  • Digital Storytelling (480p, 4:31): An examination of the unique way in which Gareth Edwards directed all-digital scenes. It also looks at high-tech lighting, how model work helped the digital designers, making the U-Wing, and Death Star destruction from the ground-level. This is a very interesting piece, too short to be sure, but one that offers some great insight into modern large-scale moviemaking techniques.

Source:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-3D-Blu-ray/174416/#Review

Makes me wonder if the higher price is worth having those ten extra minutes of features-

15 hours ago, Richard Baker said:

Makes me wonder if the higher price is worth having those ten extra minutes of features-

... especially since these features will undoubtedy end up on the inevitable pre-christmas Disney Double Dip.

Cheers,

Andre