1/48 Saab F-35 Draken RDAF Finished 4-7-2016

And here are the extra's bought on the IPMS meeting today for this build. Thanxs René for the fast delivery.

IMG_3009_zps1ljrdqn3.jpg

I also managed to get these goodies today.

IMG_3010_zpsw66ivuro.jpg

IMG_3011_zpsoi5co8vw.jpg

I was quite surprized how the Tu-22 looked with some nice engraved panel lines. Also the two Suchoj's looks great as a starting point.

Cheers,

• Like 6

Nice selection of goodies :coolio:

The Tu-22 is, at best, a representation of the machine and while it would need a massive amount on work to make 100% correct it still looks an impressive model once built.

• Like 1

The Su-7 is a nice model, it should contain the bits (hopefully) to allow you to build the BKL version (had the additional skids on the main gear and used by the Soviets and Eastern Bloc countries.), the BMK was an Export only version that went to India and the Gulf countries (maybe N. Korea as well). The easiest way to tell if you can do both is an extra set of lower wing halfs.

......and the Su-17...well I love that one sooo much I now have 3 (one built, another Eduard one and a Kopro version plus masses of AM stuff), you can also build the 17M3 version with this kit as well but not the 22M3 as the rear fuselage shape around the engine is all wrong!

• Like 1

The Su-7 is a nice model, it should contain the bits (hopefully) to allow you to build the BKL version (had the additional skids on the main gear and used by the Soviets and Eastern Bloc countries.), the BMK was an Export only version that went to India and the Gulf countries (maybe N. Korea as well). The easiest way to tell if you can do both is an extra set of lower wing halfs.

......and the Su-17...well I love that one sooo much I now have 3 (one built, another Eduard one and a Kopro version plus masses of AM stuff), you can also build the 17M3 version with this kit as well but not the 22M3 as the rear fuselage shape around the engine is all wrong!

the extra wings are in the kit, but I have decided to build a Egypian Su-7. I lave that scheme.

For the 22 I think I will build a Polish or a east German one.

The Blinder will go as a Lybian one.

I love sand schemes.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Arniec, I hate to be the bearer of bad news again, but I believe those Maestro drop tanks are too short for Danish Drakens. If you can measure them I can compare them to the (correct) Hasegawa tanks from the RF-35 kit.

Jens

Hi guys, I have been bussy today with removing some plastic for the aires cockpit. I also have been bussy with the instrument panel. I have tried to convert it wit the different gun sight and a different layout of the intruments.

That is it for now. Will get some pictures when the cockpit is ready.

Jens, can you measure the pitot tube from the Hasegawa kit for me or do you know if the pitot was the same length between the Danish and Swedish version.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

The correct Hasegawa fuel tanks for the Danish Draken are 97 mm long, so the Maestro tanks are 7 mm too short for a Draken (but probably right for a Gripen).

The nose mounted pitot was the same length on the Swedish and Danish Drakens. :)

Jens

• Like 1

The correct Hasegawa fuel tanks for the Danish Draken are 97 mm long, so the Maestro tanks are 7 mm too short for a Draken (but probably right for a Gripen).

The nose mounted pitot was the same length on the Swedish and Danish Drakens. :)

Jens

I don't know if I will lengthen the fuel tanks. I will see.

Great to know that the pitot's are the same length.

Cheers,

• Like 1

A good choice Arniec. I have a Danish two seater planned and Jens is THE MAN! Good luck with it. I too, brought bits I then found I didn't need so now must build two Drakens. Life is hard sometimes....

Maybe the Eduard re-release will bring some more decals for us. Stoppel Decal set HERE is another option but has NO instructions.

• Like 1

The Hasegawa decals are well printed - and printed better than the Stoppel decals. While I really appreciate the fact that someone makes Danish decals I really think the quality lacks a lot to be desired - especially considering the price. Also, please note that most of the Danish Stoppel decal sheets require you to buy more than one sheet to complete an aircraft (usually important decals like squadron badges are sold seperately).

The Hasegawa decals are correct for a later Draken, while the Eduard release appears to have the earlier type tail code font.

Jens

• Like 2

I will use the Maestro decals I bought. I will need to mix and match a bit, But it will be sufficient I think.

But before I can even think about the decals I still need to build the kit. Specialy the cockpit will need some time.

Cheers,

OK Guys here are some pictures of what has been done the last few days on the cockpit.

I will start with some pictures before painting.

IMG_3013_zpsb7g7ytlp.jpg

IMG_3015_zpsy3yu79fm.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsaktrebyu.jpg

As you can see I tried to modify the instrument panel. It isn't perfect, but I think good enough.

And now after some paint.

IMG_3017_zpsgz7fez59.jpg

IMG_3018_zpsgfirojdp.jpg

And here is a picture of the modified wingtips with the RWR's(?!) placed from some scrap plastic.

IMG_3016_zpsceada9yd.jpg

And finally the last picture of today with the fuselage closed and the gun panels placed. I modified these a bit with some brass tubing inside to represent the guns.

IMG_3019_zpsyhzcgjss.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 5

It's hard to see from your pictures whether you have made the wing tip RHAW antennas thicker than the wing as in this picture:

Draken_A-004_3572.jpg

Jens

I have made them thicker at the end, I only see now that I need them to reprofile them a bit more on the inside.

Thanxs again for the picture.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Again a update. I have managed to put everything together. There is still a few things to do, but the main parts are done.

Here are two pictures.

IMG_3023_zpseqno2hbe.jpg

IMG_3022_zpstzlivjld.jpg

The build went quite fast. Now there is still loads to do before painting. I already have got my paint (Tamiya XF-13).

I have got some time this weekend again, so hopefully I can place then a update.

Jens, I have been looking for some pictures of the armament, but I haven't been lucky. I only found one picture in a book with a armament of 4 LAU-3/A rocket pods. Do you have some pictures that could help me?!

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 5

The Hasegawa decals are well printed - and printed better than the Stoppel decals. While I really appreciate the fact that someone makes Danish decals I really think the quality lacks a lot to be desired - especially considering the price. Also, please note that most of the Danish Stoppel decal sheets require you to buy more than one sheet to complete an aircraft (usually important decals like squadron badges are sold seperately).

The Hasegawa decals are correct for a later Draken, while the Eduard release appears to have the earlier type tail code font.

Jens

Jens,

Wholeheartedly agree with you regarding lack of really good quality aftermarket RDAF insignia, codes etc. I bought some of the Stoppel sheets previously and was a bit disappointed, to be honest. Fortunately my good friend Ruben (of Lima November Decals), has not only 'emigrated' to Denmark but is now expanding his Scandinavian civil aircraft decal range to encompass some modest military subjects - he has already filled a void with a range of RDAF roundels and 'fin flashes'/flags in the most popular scales…..I have little doubt that if these are a success he may turn his hand to other RDAF military aircraft subjects or material (Serial Numbers/Letters, Unit badges etc).

Jens,

Wholeheartedly agree with you regarding lack of really good quality aftermarket RDAF insignia, codes etc. I bought some of the Stoppel sheets previously and was a bit disappointed, to be honest. Fortunately my good friend Ruben (of Lima November Decals), has not only 'emigrated' to Denmark but is now expanding his Scandinavian civil aircraft decal range to encompass some modest military subjects - he has already filled a void with a range of RDAF roundels and 'fin flashes'/flags in the most popular scales…..I have little doubt that if these are a success he may turn his hand to other RDAF military aircraft subjects or material (Serial Numbers/Letters, Unit badges etc).

I know Ruben - and I helped him with the Danish national markings. He seems reluctant to produce decal sheets for specifik aircraft types but getting him to produce code letters/numbers would be a great start. I have already told him that I am more than willing to help him, and I have access to some pretty good references. ;)

Jens

• Like 2

Ok guys here is a small update. I have put on some small stuff (mainly on the underside) including the new racks from Maesto.

Here is a picture with a testfit of the armament I am planning to use. The armament is: 4x mk 82 snakeyes, 2x lau.3 and 2 tanks.

To brake up the monotone colour of the model, the Lau.3's will be in white. Also the Mk.82's will have a different colour of green (OD).

IMG_3025_zpsujfwyioe.jpg

There is still enough to be done, but I hope to put on some paint next week.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 7