1/48 Saab F-35 Draken RDAF Finished 4-7-2016

Hi Guys,

I will be building a 1/48 Hasegawa Saab Draken. The box is the special version of the Austrian version.
I will build it in the colours of a Royal Danish Air Force (RDAF) F-35 Draken.
This is the Ground attack version.I have some extra parts to go with it.
Here are the goodies that will be used:

Aires set 4374 J35F/J cockpit set
Aires set 4390 Draken reconnacance conversion
Eduard set FE417 J35 zoom set
Finemolds set AC-90 Pitot tubes & AOA probes in metal
Maestro set K4804 Jettisonable tanks x 2
Maestro set K4806 Jettisonable tanks x 2
Maestro set K4827 Danish Pylons x 6 (not arrived jet)
Maestro set MMK4834 Saab WDNS Draken nose
Maestro set MMD4803 decals for some Danish Drakens
Quickboost QB48188 Air scoops

Let the pictures talk.

The box.
IMG_2978_zpsnucqbz5o.jpg
IMG_2979_zps6hqhbmx5.jpg
And the spues.
IMG_2981_zpsbttzaj9s.jpg
IMG_2982_zps6axwys0i.jpg
IMG_2980_zpsyzxiomkw.jpg
IMG_2983_zpsnsohidhi.jpg

And now the extra goodies.
IMG_2985_zps78mdmfpe.jpg
IMG_2984_zps5r0jkrne.jpg

And the decals used. As it is not recommended to do a party model, I will use some of the decals of this sheet to make a ground attack version.
IMG_2986_zpsu3wxtgdb.jpg

And the last two pictures are for the Hasegawa armament set's that I am going to use for the bombs and Bullpulp rockets.
IMG_2987_zps3mcbyjel.jpg
IMG_2988_zpsq7hnfxy3.jpg

I have also ordered a set of danish pylons. That I will pick up next week at a friend.

Cheers,

p.s. just found out that the after market tanks are the wrong ones. I have ordered a new set.

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 9

The Aires S35E nose is incorrect for a Danish Draken. The same goes for the cockpit if you're building a WDNS upgraded version.
The AGM-12 Bullpup wasn't used operationally, but it was tested early on (so no WDNS upgrade there either).

Jens

The Aires S35E nose is incorrect for a Danish Draken. The same goes for the cockpit if you're building a WDNS upgraded version.

The AGM-12 Bullpup wasn't used operationally, but it was tested early on (so no WDNS upgrade there either).

Jens

Thanxs Jens for the info.

I am not a expert, so could you tell me what is incorrect with the nose and what is that WDNS upgrade?!

Cheers,

nice project!

yes, you "need" the bigger Gripen style drop tanks

looking forward to your loadout!

Hi

There is a dedicated Danish version of the Hasegawa kit with the correct parts? But I can see that it possibly will be difficult to find. Doesn't show up at Hannants or HLJ.

Flemming

there is a special boxing

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10137193

and this recce boxing:
Edited by exdraken

I just ordered again!!!! a nose from Maestro models. That is what you get when you haven't done a proper research.

I thought both noses were the same. duh!!! :doh::doh::doh:

Now I hope that it will be a much smoother ride. :whistle:

Thanxs Jens for pointing that out to me. Now I need to see if I can find a propper picture of the cockpit, so I can make some changes.

Cheers,

First of all you need to decide whether to build an F-35 or and RF-35. Whilst the later noses appear identical they are not. The recce nose is a good basis for an F-35 WDNS nose though. A pre-WDNS RF-35 will have to be built by yourself.

As for cockpit (and other Draken) pictures, have a look here: http://www.amarc.dk/index.php/gallery-mainmenu-31/27-jet-aircraft-pictures/35-draken-cockpit-detail-pictures

HTH,

Jens

First of all you need to decide whether to build an F-35 or and RF-35. Whilst the later noses appear identical they are not. The recce nose is a good basis for an F-35 WDNS nose though. A pre-WDNS RF-35 will have to be built by yourself.

As for cockpit (and other Draken) pictures, have a look here: http://www.amarc.dk/index.php/gallery-mainmenu-31/27-jet-aircraft-pictures/35-draken-cockpit-detail-pictures

HTH,

Jens

Thanxs again for the info Jens. I am planning on building the F-35. I just ordered this nose. http://www.aviationmegastore.com/danish-wdns-saab-35-draken-nose-mmk4834-maestro-models-mmk4834-vliegtuig-bewapening/product/?action=prodinfo&art=98201

With the pictures of the cockpit I can now do it (hopefully) justice.

Cheers,

P.S. what would be a normal loadout for a F-35?! I have seen some pictures, but most are not with any armament.

Edited by Arniec

That is the right nose for a WDNS upgraded F-35. With that upgrade the Draken moved up to become the best strike aircraft in the Danish Air Force, and a usual load would be Mk. 82, either slick or Snakeye.

Jens

• Like 1

I have some Hasegawa Weapons Set Mk82s spare with both the std and long fuses if theyre any help and saves you buying the full (overpriced) set?

• Like 2

I have some Hasegawa Weapons Set Mk82s spare with both the std and long fuses if theyre any help and saves you buying the full (overpriced) set?

Thanxs for the offer, much appriciated. But I already have two sets (weapon set A) in my collection.

They were bought with all the other sets from a friend for a very good price. (as they say in Holland: voor een zacht prijsje)

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanxs for the offer, much appriciated. But I already have two sets (weapon set A) in my collection.

They were bought with all the other sets from a friend for a very good price. (as they say in Holland: voor een zacht prijsje)

Cheers,

No worries. I wasnt sure from the photos if you already had the weapons sets.

Good to go and looking good!

• Like 1

I've got the same kit/project for the future. Are you doing a gloss green late aircraft or a really faded beatin up early jet?

The kit looks simple on the sprues with a low parts count?

Shaun.

• Like 1

I've got the same kit/project for the future. Are you doing a gloss green late aircraft or a really faded beatin up early jet?

The kit looks simple on the sprues with a low parts count?

Shaun.

If I am not mistake (correct me if I am wrong Jens) They were all repainted in the early 80's with the gloss Green.

So, that is what I will use.

Cheers,

If I am not mistake (correct me if I am wrong Jens) They were all repainted in the early 80's with the gloss Green.

So, that is what I will use.

Cheers,

I don't have the exact timeframe at hand but they were repainted several years before the WDNS upgrade, so your choice is absolutely correct Arniec. :)

Jens

• Like 1

Yes, including a what if?! Like a 35 MOD PROPOSAL / J 35J ?! Take a look at this site. Half way the page. http://www.airvectors.net/avj35.html

Something to make you go nuts. :mental::banghead::evil_laugh:

Cheers,

Dam you!!!!! :owww::doh:

I know the Israelis love to update and Mod stuff......imagine if the Swed's gave them some Draken's to "update"!! Hmmm I have an old uncompleted Heller Draken that would be a great test subject!! :hmmm:

• Like 2

Dam you!!!!! :owww::doh:

I know the Israelis love to update and Mod stuff......imagine if the Swed's gave them some Draken's to "update"!! Hmmm I have an old uncompleted Heller Draken that would be a great test subject!! :hmmm:

Hmmm, one in the Israëli three colour scheme with loads of bombs underneath (like the F-16XL) and a new engine with afterburner.

:oops: Me think this is :offtopic: .

I will :shutup: now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1