Flower Class Corvette @ 1/144

longshanks

I'm thinking of depicting HMS Crocus with this Revell offering.

I'd be interested to know what colours you think that she might have been panted?

HMS_Crocus_FL6073_zpsikv0zca2.jpg

She was unusual (possibly) in that the starboard scheme differed from the port. What isn't at first clear is that the port scheme changes at the stack with a clear curved demarcation line.

The background does not appear to be white - so is ?most probably 507C. She is depicted in an oil painting on the web with the "stripe" being B15 - which begs the question if it is, what colour does it morph into? It looks dark so 507A or MS2 are candidates. Interestingly I've just obtained a copy of "Ensign 3 Flower Class Corvettes" that depicts HMS Vetch in her seemingly "Dark" colours which this publication attributes to the use of wartime Ortho filmstock, and instead states that the scheme is conventional western approaches. Is this a possibility here? I'd be interested to know others views - my experience is pretty limited.

HMSCrocus_zpstuiwoczo.jpg

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

• Like 1

Good choice Rob, Crocus is my choice to finish this one too, not only commanded by a Kiwi, Commander John Holm, during the war but the pennant number K46 was used on the fictional Compass Rose in the movie of "The Cruel Sea" played by the ex HMS Coreopsis, 'course, I'm sure you knew all that. :)

Steve.

Hi Rob,

Warships in Perspective Flower Class Corvettes in WWII by John Lambert has a line drawing of a slightly different camo layout than depicted above. He gives the colours as 507A, MS4 & MS4A. MS4A being used on the 4" gun and platform, the bridge and rear of main deck superstructure. Date given as September 42.

The above pics are from the Imperial War Museum and no dates are given in the info.

Have you seen this report of Crocus sinking a U Boat?

http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.com/topic/424/#.V1YES_krLGI

Kev

• Like 1

Hi Kev

I have that book which is excellent. The profile doesn't take account of the colour "divide". I'm not really familiar with MS4 but it seems quite dark on the Colour chips I've seen. The superstructure appears to be the same colour as the hull with the exception of the funnel. Like all wartime B&W photo gazing - I guess the truth is that we'll never know. I was familiar with the U-boat scrap - U-333 that actually made it home.

Rob

" I guess the truth is that we'll never know "

I've got to agree with you there ............ even if we have a pic that is dated the actual colours are still open to interpretation due to film used etc etc. Was the model based on that day, two weeks before or the day after blah blah.

Even with a known colour I lighten it, scale factor. Plus paint fades with weathering.

At the end of the day it is our vision based on what we feel at the time. Above all modelling is to be enjoyed.

I look forward to seeing your progress

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of doing an etch set for it but will have to have a look at the kit first. As has been said, something to convert to a RN ship would seem a good idea.

Mike

Hi Mike

Have you had a chance to look at the corvette yet?

Got mine on Friday from T7 models http://www.t7models.com/shop/revell-05132-1144-hmcs-snowberry-flower-class-corvette/

On the whole I'm quite pleased with it but some areas could really do with some photo etch eg

Railings

Ladders /steps

Cable reels

Eyebrows for scuttles (Rigols ?)

Armament

etc

Kev

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Have you had a chance to look at the corvette yet?

Got mine on Friday from T7 models http://www.t7models.com/shop/revell-05132-1144-hmcs-snowberry-flower-class-corvette/

On the whole I'm quite pleased with it but some areas could really do with some photo etch eg

Railings

Ladders /steps

Cable reels

Eyebrows for scuttles (Rigols ?)

Armament

etc

Kev

Hi Kev,

Will be getting delivered tomorrow. It seems on the whole to be a decent kit that needs some upgrade to bring the best out of it. I would like to look at what is needed to make an RN ship as well. I'll have a look tomorrow and over the next few days then give it some thought. Very happy to have input from yourself and anyone else in terms of what might be needed.

Mike

Having had a look at the kit, my first impression that is lacks a certain finesse in quite a number of areas. One noticeable feature is how parts such as railings, ladders, barrels etc are much thicker than they really could be, it is almost as if the moulds have been spaced too far apart in some way. A lot of parts which could have been made as one piece such as vents, depth charges, carley floats have been made in two parts and if the fit is not good, these will all take a fair bit of work to make them look good.

Generally though, and for the price, it is pretty decent, the parts count should ensure a fair bit of detail.

I'll start work on a detail set, if anyone has noticed any particular areas requiring attention then just reply to this post and it will all help move things along.

Mike

• Like 2

Hi Mike

I think that is a fair appraisal of the kit

OOB it will build into a nice model

I for one would like to lift it to the next level with the following

Scuttle eyebrows with extras for the carpet monster/ those wishing to build a different configuration of portholes

All the gun shields plus the wrap around on the 2pdr position. For those unaware superb 20mm oerlikons are available from L'Arsenal who I believe you deal with.

Depth charge chute

Ladders

Railings

Cable reels

Bridge/wheelhouse lattice frame

Radar lantern glass frame & grating

Crows nest

Funnel top

Gratings for compass & signal light platforms

Flag locker face

Windlass brakes

and if you've got any space/patience left any upgrades to the lifeboats

Well you did ask

Kev

• Like 1

I'll echo Longshanks on this.

I have 2 in the stash and the dilemma is whether to delay a build waiting for aftermarket goodies or just crack on.

I think it's going to be crack on and when I have some spare time I'll begin a blog. Hull and deck fit is pretty good so far.

Mark at Shapeways has downscaled his Quad vickers to 1/144 which means HMS Clematis is now an option

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dboats

He's updating his Radar lantern to include the later Round multiple pane style.

I'm trying to work out how to represent the Clinker finish on the ships boats. They are smooth in the kit which is a real drawback as they are so prominent.

As Longshanks says the Bridge/wheelhouse lattice frames differed enormously. Snowberry and the kit has 3 "squares", Crocus has 4 and they are going to be reasonably fiddly to scratch.

I'll very gladly take 2 Detail sets off you Mike when they are ready.

I think that this kit is going to be a big seller

Rob

• Like 2

An update on this, after speaking to Melaine at L'Arsenal we have decided to join forces on an update set, I will be designing etch and decals and they will design 3d printed accessories. We think this will provide the best of both worlds and should make for and excellent upgrade set for the kit.

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/02/2017 at 1:08 PM, Harrypotter said:

Hi Mike,

Sorry to be a pain, but are we any closer to the upgrade release?

TIA

Hi,

Good news and not so good on this one.  L'Arsenal will be releasing their resin upgrade set which will include new weapons and boats which will be a great improvement on the kit parts.  In terms of not so good, with the Eduard set being released most of what I was intending to produce was already replicated in there, so reluctantly I decided not to continue with the etch side of the set.  With the L'Arsenal set it would mean that not all of the Eduard etch sets would be required, I think a combination will result in a very good upgrade of the pretty basic kit.

Mike

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mike McCabe said:

Hi,

Good news and not so good on this one.  L'Arsenal will be releasing their resin upgrade set which will include new weapons and boats which will be a great improvement on the kit parts.  In terms of not so good, with the Eduard set being released most of what I was intending to produce was already replicated in there, so reluctantly I decided not to continue with the etch side of the set.  With the L'Arsenal set it would mean that not all of the Eduard etch sets would be required, I think a combination will result in a very good upgrade of the pretty basic kit.

Mike

Thanks Mike. 

I know not to hold out now :)

• 1 month later...

Good News

L'Arsenal announce detail set to be released soon. No price yet

http://www.larsenal.com/1-144-detail-set-corvette-flower-c2x23226121

Set detail for Corvette Flower of Revell brand. Resin and photo etch.
Set included :
- 1x 4" gun
- 1x2pdr gun
- 2x DC rails
- 4x DC launchers
- 18x DC stowages 
- 2x dinghy
- 1x hedgehogs
- 4x lewis guns

Note 20mm Oerlikons available in packs of six

Kev

• Like 3

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, Mike McCabe said:

Hi,

Mike

Hi Mike

With you having links with L'Arsenal can we get the update set through you?

Kev