1/48th Suhkoi Su-7BKL Fitter A x 2 - completed!

Like other have said, Wow. I am always impressed into how you do your masking and painting.

Thanks, I'm always amazed I even attempt some of these schemes, but this one is right up there with the most complicated I've done!

Well back to this almost never ending saga, though I’m pleased to say the end is near!

Well pretty much the whole day and a wee bit this morning was spent doing the corrections and touch-ups to the paint job. Painting wasn’t that much of a deal, it was the masking again that took sooooo long! Seven separate masking processes if you count the antenna and gun blast shields and Undercarriage bays. But it was worth it, I’m much happier with how she looks.

DSCF3568_zpsoqzm6tyv.jpg

DSCF3569_zpsy3dog1r9.jpg

DSCF3571_zpswv0vxigz.jpg

DSCF3570_zpsu6qxhy4k.jpg

I’ll let her sit for a bit then on with a clear coat. I’m still not quite sure how far to go with the weathering, as photos of Su-7’s in this particular camouflage scheme are very rare. The only good one I’ve seen is of one sitting abandoned at an old airbase, and it’s VERY distressed! My one well pretty much be at the end of its operational life which is around the 1988-89 mark and has probably spent this time out in the open? Will see how it goes, want to try a few new tricks I’ve seen.

• Like 4

After a day of success and failures and new beginnings a lot was achieved yesterday.

I sort of got a bit side tracked with this one yesterday by the issues I’m having with the flaps of the Ta-152. It wasn’t after the total failure there that I realized how much time I’d wasted. Well it was decal time, after the issues I had with the first one and the decals that come with the kit I decided to raid the decal box instead for this one.

It’s quite amazing the transformation in just adding a few stars and such!

DSCF3609_zpsn13izpoo.jpg

DSCF3610_zps0eujgvzz.jpg

DSCF3611_zpssphwn5m4.jpg

DSCF3612_zpstw6uwjp2.jpg

Well it’s been re-glossed and sat over night so she is now ready for panel lines and wreathing. As mentioned I’m going to try a few different things along the way but we’ll see as it progressed. I’d like to have her almost finished by tomorrow but will just have to see how it all turns out.

Those with attention to detail will notice will notice what looks to be some new resin bits on the bench! I needed a frustration breaker yesterday to stop me from going mad so I’ve started another side project in response to something I’d been talking about on someone else’s build. A thread will appear soon in the whiffy section!

• Like 3

ok second update in one day!!!!

Got a lot done on her today even with spending a little bit of time on the flap issue with the Ta-152.

I was after a tired and worn out look for her, she’s a beast in her twilight about to go out with a big bang! I tried a few new things and some old favourites to give her a worn and will used look. For the most part I’m really happy with how she looks, I’m not an expert at weathering and still learning but it’s the look I was after. Please excuse the dust have been playing with a new resin build so the stuff gets everywhere!

DSCF3618_zpshgnackji.jpg

DSCF3617_zpsc860ci2s.jpg

DSCF3616_zpsotokkuav.jpg

DSCF3619_zps0e2yxivq.jpg

Unfortunately the camera and the light really don't show the weathering to it's best, all the subtly of some of the weathering just doesn't show.

There’s not a lot left to do on her, I’ll be very close to having her finished when I had back to work on Tuesday. I’ll probably finish her off when I get home next week as there is no need to rush now. The 388 awaits!! :wicked:;)

• Like 5

Don't forget the 190 you are building. hehehehe

I love the paint scheme!!!!!!

Cheers,

The 190D is sitting in the naughty corner......the 388 is the star pupil now!

• Like 1

Well it’s finally here the penultimate post!!! :yahoo: I’m really happy this mammoth build is finally over, and look even Sergei looks happy as well.

DSCF3635_zpswfamxe44.jpg

As usual it’s all the little final bits and pieces that need to be done which take the most time. But just a few final touches tomorrow and she’s done, well ahead of what I expected. Ok some photos of todays work unfortunately only the ultra-zoom function seemed to be working on the camera and everything else is out of focus!!! ;):wicked:

Ok RATO packs are done and fitted, the hardest part was fitting those fiddly fuses, Sergei was quite pleased I got that part right!! :jump_fire:

DSCF3638_zpsjjhpaf4p.jpg

I have pretty much finished off the pylon stays, I think they are almost better than the PE ones, pity this will probably be the only time they’ll ever be seen again.

DSCF3639_zpsdqib06ov.jpg

Gun barrels fitted, they look so cool with the shiny tips.

DSCF3640_zpse5bwndon.jpg

I don’t like the PE exhaust detail at all, when I do this again (have just got the Kazan Su-11 conversion kit, so another Suhkoi on the way NATO/WP 70’s GB???) I’ll use the full resin one, the same as I used on the first one.

DSCF3636_zpszhnbhmhl.jpg

This is to remind me to add the panel line….forgot, plus I had to make up the tip lights as well. :doh:

DSCF3642_zps78ygbg9z.jpg

Some “Odd Rods”…..almost straight!

DSCF3641_zpsw2iksall.jpg

This is the coolest shot of them all, looks so evil even if you can only see part of it…..RN-28!

DSCF3637_zpsg8brxvq5.jpg

And I made up some intake/exhaust blanks as well as some chocks, now

DSCF3634_zpsmlsygdug.jpg just waiting for Sergei to show up…….. :whistle:

And here he is with her, she looks awesome……opps the auto-focus failed again :doh:

DSCF3643_zpsozogpg5h.jpg

…. and she looked so good, oh well you’ll just have to wait. ;):P

• Like 6

:worthy:'And I made up some intake/exhaust blanks as well as some chocks, now'

Those FOD bits look amazing, more top notch work!

to tell you the truth I think these are the best thing I've done on this build!!

To be more accurate I should have used different serial numbers, it seems to be a common game/trick to steal another aircrafts blanks. If you look carefully on a lot of photos of aircraft with blanks fitted quite often they have the serial number of different aircraft.

DSCF3669%20-%20modified_zpshl1uiazj.jpg

DSCF3656%20-%20modified_zpswn2ii54o.jpg

Well there is not much more I can add to this, just did the final bits and she’s done!

It turned out to be a much bigger project that I originally planned only thinking I’d have to do a couple of relatively simple modifications! But as long as it was, it was such an enjoyable build and I even managed to pick up a few new tricks along the way.

I would so highly recommend these OZE ( or ones released under all the other different makers) models, they are such a nice model to build and really easy to take to the next level and there are heaps of AM stuff around for them.

Thank you all for following this build, I really do appreciate all the comments, and I do hope you found it an interesting one.

I still have 2 Su-17/22’s in the stash so one of these may be the next one I build, of may be an Su-11 for the NATO/WP 70’s GB as I have just acquired the Kazan conversion kit for the Su-7!

Please enjoy the photos, more will be in the gallery and RFI section.

DSCF3649_zpsuzmbdxzo.jpg

DSCF3663_zpse6n4xypi.jpg

DSCF3658_zpsflsceqvf.jpg

DSCF3681_zpsf7tlnuvm.jpg

And of cause her sister had to make and appearance as well as big brother!

DSCF3684_zpsvjsdoljw.jpg

DSCF3686_zpsvngjmwgv.jpg

• Like 10

That is a great finish Rich. I love the camo!!!!!

Great to see two of these beasts here. Will have to lock them for future projects.

O, and I need to blame you for wanting to build one or two or ...........

Cheers,

• Like 1

I fear we have a winner already, and lets face it, its pretty well deserved.

Properly funky camo on a erm... funky looking plane. Very well done indeed, Ive taken notes and hope to use some of what Ive seen in future stuff. All I need is to find the time, tricky thing that.

FOD covers would do it alone I reckon, maybe submit those as a stand alone offering? :)

I love this picture, just looks exactly like some of the photos at that time, simply everything looks real, very impressive! I can't really add much more than I've said before in the thread other than simply thanks for doing this WIP, it has been a great read and very inspirational, whenever I get round to doing my Su-7 this is the first place I'll go for sure. That Su-17 looks the bolllocks too!

DSCF3656%20-%20modified_zpswn2ii54o.jpg

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

thanks for all the nice comments, as i mentioned earlier it's really nice to have good, bad, and actually any comments along the way. I do hope I can inspire other members as I have been inspired by many on this site.

I fear we have a winner already, and lets face it, its pretty well deserved.

Properly funky camo on a erm... funky looking plane. Very well done indeed, Ive taken notes and hope to use some of what Ive seen in future stuff. All I need is to find the time, tricky thing that.

FOD covers would do it alone I reckon, maybe submit those as a stand alone offering? :)

I wouldn't go that far, there is some seriously impressive builds so far and some cool stuff to come!!!

You know between the two builds the thing I'm most proud and happy of is my FOD covers! They turned out much better than I could have hoped for, they are sort of guess work as I couldn't find any good photos of the real things. Plus I wanted to add something just to give the model a bit more life.

I love this picture, just looks exactly like some of the photos at that time, simply everything looks real, very impressive! I can't really add much more than I've said before in the thread other than simply thanks for doing this WIP, it has been a great read and very inspirational, whenever I get round to doing my Su-7 this is the first place I'll go for sure. That Su-17 looks the bolllocks too!

The photo stuff is something new I'm playing around with, I've really only tried it out a couple of times before with my builds. Plus it's a good chance to freshen up on my Photoshop skills. That's my favourite photo as well and I was trying for that look we've all seen in aircraft photos of that era, especially ones from behind the Iron Curtain. Unfortunately the card tarmac base is way to small for something this big hence the unusual "cropping"! I'm going to buy another one and stitch into this one as there's no way a Su-17/22 or even Su-24/MiG31 would fit........ hint hint!! ;)

• Like 1