MD-11 Delta Airlines , Authentic Airliners 1/144

Started in early January in between other projects,Authentic Airliner's MD-11 is probably the best MD-11 kit on the market.

Its beautifully detailed and quite easy to assemble.Once finished its an impressive and ,due to its fully resin cast fuselage,heavy model of this classic MD-Liner.

Paints used on this build where Tamyia pure white and glossy aluminium from a rattle can,other metallics and the grey wing box are Testors enamels using airbrush.

Panellines,engine details and flaps were scribed using a sharp pen.

Sealed with Revell's Gloss clear from rattle can and testors metallic sealer and polished up with Tamyia Wax.

The Delta Airlines Widget livery decal set is an old Flight Path set that I found on ebay,the details are from the NAZCA DC-10 detail set,the windows are from Authentic Airliners and show Pilots,Passengers and shades.These decals really bring live to every model.

The coroguard panels are from a Brazil decals set that I found in my spares box.As it was originally meant for the DC-.10,some adjustments had to be made to fit on the MD-11.

The Delta livery on my MD-11 shows the final version of the famous "Widget" livery the MD-11 wore.

In my opinion its one of the most attractive liveries ever and looks wonderful on almost every airliner.

Back in the 90's,I saw a nice mix of Delta Jets in Zurich,like the L-1011 TriStar ,Airbus A310 and of course,the MD-11...what a great time that was.

Enough text,on with the photos;

Cheers

2016-04-09%2017.18.51_zpsi3b4a4cu.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.19.03_zps9r7vtfhr.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.19.16_zpsixl8a76q.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.19.35_zpsuzu3o5zu.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.19.59_zpsxemvrftc.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.20.14_zpszlsg6psi.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.21.00_zpsba8ekrik.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.21.16_zpspxfkvifn.jpg

And with something else...including kitty :winkgrin:

2016-04-09%2017.23.31_zpst2am2qau.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.23.47_zpsbnq7cggg.jpg

2016-04-09%2017.24.31_zpsiodnimjv.jpg

• Like 23

I've never built an airliner in 40 odd years of modelling on and off, looking at these could make me try my hand! Are the window decals designed for particular aircraft or 'generic'?

:goodjob:

• Like 1

I've never built an airliner in 40 odd years of modelling on and off, looking at these could make me try my hand! Are the window decals designed for particular aircraft or 'generic'?

:goodjob:

The windows are for the MD-11.

I almost want to say "You have outdone yourself". She is a beauty. Have been waiting for this RFI.

I love the final photo - kitty is completely overlooking the L10-11 and is fixated on the new MD 11.

Well done Alex.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

I almost want to say "You have outdone yourself". She is a beauty. Have been waiting for this RFI.

I love the final photo - kitty is completely overlooking the L10-11 and is fixated on the new MD 11.

Well done Alex.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you Mike.

I put a lot of effort in the making of the MD-11,as she's one of my all time faves, and tried out some new stuff.

Yes,Kitty seems to be impressed :winkgrin: ,he's one of my biggest critics on all my photoshoots

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1

Astonishing work and an astonished kitty! I have some of those kits in the stash waiting for me to gather some courage to tackle them. One of my biggest fears is about the landing gear being maybe too delicate to hold on the heavy weight. Could you give us some piece of advice Alex please? You conquered it, congratulations!

• Like 1

Superb stuff Alex !

I remember flying on Swissair's MD-11s from Johannesburg to Toronto (via Zurich) in 1993. Excellent aircraft and excellent airline.

...and then we come along to your model :

• excellent build
  • excellent markings
  • excellent kitty

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: + :thumbsup2: (Two thumbs up and one for the cat !)

(P.S. Hope you don't mind my fixation with your cat. I keep showing your photos to my wife and telling her we need a cat. She keeps telling me "you can have another model, but there's no way you're having a cat ! " I think I'm onto a winner here :analintruder:)

mike

• Like 3

Hi Alex,

Congratulations on finishing your MD11! It's beautiful, I like the extra details from the Nazca sheet they add even more to it.

I can't help thinking that the TriStar suits the Delta livery more than the MD, but that's just me.

Must crack on with my MD11 I just don't know which livery though!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Astonishing work and an astonished kitty! I have some of those kits in the stash waiting for me to gather some courage to tackle them. One of my biggest fears is about the landing gear being maybe too delicate to hold on the heavy weight. Could you give us some piece of advice Alex please? You conquered it, congratulations!

Thank you very much.

The main landing gear on the MD-11 is made of white metal.The center and front gears are resin parts.

As most of the weight sits on the main gear it can carry it without problems.

Have a go and build one of those kits.They are a real joy to make.The only fiddly parts are the tiny etched parts for the landing gear but with patience it can be done.I always think,if I can do it,it cant be that difficult...

• Like 1

Superb stuff Alex !

I remember flying on Swissair's MD-11s from Johannesburg to Toronto (via Zurich) in 1993. Excellent aircraft and excellent airline.

...and then we come along to your model :

• excellent build
  • excellent markings
  • excellent kitty

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: + :thumbsup2: (Two thumbs up and one for the cat !)

(P.S. Hope you don't mind my fixation with your cat. I keep showing your photos to my wife and telling her we need a cat. She keeps telling me "you can have another model, but there's no way you're having a cat ! " I think I'm onto a winner here :analintruder:)

mike

Thank you Mike.

Yes,its sad that both of them have disappeared from the skies (MD-11 passenger carrier wise) Had a few trips to Hongkong on Swissair MD-11s and once to Bangkok on a Thai Airways MD-11.A fine aircraft.

Now i understand your "obsession" with Kitty :winkgrin: .I will see to it that Kitty will make regular appearances to make sure you win over your wife to the cat side...On my next RFI,I try to put both kitties in the pics...That should do the trick :D

Edited by Alex1978

Stunning looking MD-11! That type with the widget livery looks weirdly exotic to me. Loving the two DAL trijets next to each other.

Lovely finish on the cat too- was it airbrushed? 😁 (Very cute by the way)

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

That really is a stunner Alex, like you say, that Delta scheme is beautiful.

I like the Tristar too, was there ever a more classic combination of airframe and livery!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Your models make me want to build an airliner! That MD-11 looks fantastic! From the first few pictures it looked like it was 1/48 or larger. By that I mean it looked like it had to be that big to get the fidelity of detail that you achieved. Great job! :heart:

• Like 1