Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Three months from today this GB will be officially starting!! As @Enzo Matrix mentioned above; it's coming up remarkably quickly!!

Are you ready?

I have now made a decision as to what I am going to build. I have a few Pz.IV kits in the stash both in 1/35 and 1/48. I was originally thinking of making one of the full 1/35 Dragon kits I have but, looking at the large number of parts involved - plus knowing how long it will take me to do some of the detailing I will want to do on these kits, I have opted instead to make the first Pz.IV in the Dragon Platz range, which I got cheap a while back:

29723364737_12e28874b4_b.jpg

It appears to be a great looking model - typical of a Dragon kit - but only has 175 parts. This is amazing when you consider Dragon's 2005 version of a Pz.IV had over 1,000 parts!! It seems beautifully moulded but there may be some compromises with the simplified construction - well we'll find out during the GB. I'm hoping, because it has fewer parts, that it will leave me more time for my GB hosting duties. I also reckon if I finish it quickly I could always make one of the 1/48 Pz.IVs as well. We will see.

For more details about this kit you can check it out on Scalemates.

Anyone else decided what they are going to build yet?

Kind regards,

Stix

That's a very interesting looking kit Stix, I really like the lack of 1000 parts approach!

I'm interested in the new Zvezda 1/35 Panzer IVE, also has less parts and I can build it as an Afrika Korps tank, when I find some decals. Handy that the IPMS UK nationals aren't that far away time wise.

• Like 2

I'm going to stick to my gun(s) and re-visit this:

wtpHBDI.jpg

Hopefully I'll actually complete it this time and not have the thing fall apart in my hands (the surviving part then falling apart after meeting very heavily with the kitchen tap)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 4

On 15/09/2018 at 22:30, modelling minion said:

I'm interested in the new Zvezda 1/35 Panzer IVE, also has less parts and I can build it as an Afrika Korps tank, when I find some decals. Handy that the IPMS UK nationals aren't that far away time wise.

Hi Craig. That sounds like a good plan. Hope you manage to get the decals in time!

On 16/09/2018 at 15:04, Badder said:

Hopefully I'll actually complete it this time and not have the thing fall apart in my hands (the surviving part then falling apart after meeting very heavily with the kitchen tap)

Hi Badder. Yes I'm hoping it goes far better this time for you and you get a finished model at the end!! Looking forward to following what will, no doubt, be a fascinating project.

On 16/09/2018 at 17:49, Enzo Matrix said:

I was considering a Nashorn in 1/35 for this GB, but now I'm considering an early Panzer IV from Hobby Boss.

If I'm correct, the Hobbyboss Pz.IVs were originally from Tristar who made really good kits. I think, from reading a few reviews, the only thing that may be a problem is that they are a little complicated to build in places. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

On 18/09/2018 at 20:48, PlaStix said:

If I'm correct, the Hobbyboss Pz.IVs were originally from Tristar who made really good kits. I think, from reading a few reviews, the only thing that may be a problem is that they are a little complicated to build in places. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

You are quite correct.  The kit is scaring me a little.  There are so many parts. There are even separate bolt heads on the hull. :yikes:

• Like 2

On 26/09/2018 at 22:02, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've just acquired a Matchbox PanzerJaeger IV

I'm in.

Hi theplasticsurgeon and welcome! Looks like it should be great - especially with the base! Looking forward to seeing it in progress from the 15th December!

On 30/09/2018 at 08:37, Davek72 said:

Mind if I join too?  I am a very inexperienced armour modeller so this will be an excuse for me to have another go.  Now I just need to find a kit.  

Dave

We certainly don't mind! The more the merrier! There's plenty of Pz.IV and related kits out there. You thinking of 1/72, 1/48 or 1/35? Tamiya's 1/48 armour kits are usually a great build There's a couple in the £20 - £24 mark on Amazon at the moment.

I have added you both to the list here.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 2:18 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi theplasticsurgeon and welcome! Looks like it should be great - especially with the base! Looking forward to seeing it in progress from the 15th December!

We certainly don't mind! The more the merrier! There's plenty of Pz.IV and related kits out there. You thinking of 1/72, 1/48 or 1/35? Tamiya's 1/48 armour kits are usually a great build There's a couple in the £20 - £24 mark on Amazon at the moment.

I have added you both to the list here.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix

As a result of my research I have uncovered an old memory of the older brother of a friend of mine building a Tamiya 1/35 Wirbelwind.  I am aware this is an old kit (my memory must be circa 1980) but it has I understand been slightly updated with a more modern chassis from its 1977 origins.   Anyway I found one going at a reasonable price so that’s what I am going with.   

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2018 at 11:04, Davek72 said:

Hi Stix

As a result of my research I have uncovered an old memory of the older brother of a friend of mine building a Tamiya 1/35 Wirbelwind.  I am aware this is an old kit (my memory must be circa 1980) but it has I understand been slightly updated with a more modern chassis from its 1977 origins.   Anyway I found one going at a reasonable price so that’s what I am going with.   

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave - that does sound like an excellent idea for a build.

Well......what can I say? - In just two months time - this, only the second ever AFV STGB on Britmodeller, will actually be underway. Are you ready? I think I am. Wow...... it's seems to be coming up to it more quickly than I thought it would. How is it only two months away? This year is flying by!

Make sure you have found or bought your kit(s), sorted out the paints and gathered together any extras you might require!

Can't wait!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

I would be interested in 'having a go' - it will only be my second GB - but I enjoyed the Airfix GB so much that I'm itching to get into another.  I only have 1/72 Revells though and zero knowledge on German armour so I better get researching.

All the best - Steve

• Like 3

Steve, why not build an abandoned Normandy Pz IV late H/early J, hatches open and gun recessed as in shame of defeat, to portray the advance of the mighty Taurus we've witnessed in your Airfix GB builds? I simply loved them! V-P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I would be interested in 'having a go' - it will only be my second GB - but I enjoyed the Airfix GB so much that I'm itching to get into another.  I only have 1/72 Revells though and zero knowledge on German armour so I better get researching.

All the best - Steve

The 1/72 Revell is a very, very nice kit.

I'd forgotten all about signing up for this gb - shall have to go stash mining!!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I only recently noticed I shall be with you @PlaStix hosting this one, that's an honour and joy :yahoo:. Speaking of Wirbelwinds, there's a newish Revell 1:72 kit just reviewed here at our favourite forum, and it looks mighty nice :hmmm:V-P

It's Revell's rerelease of the Maco kit (which was based on the Revell Pz IV).

If it's anything like the ostwind it'll be a nice kit

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

15 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Steve, why not build an abandoned Normandy Pz IV late H/early J, hatches open and gun recessed as in shame of defeat, to portray the advance of the mighty Taurus we've witnessed in your Airfix GB builds? I simply loved them! V-P

Thanks V-P  Like Ben below I went 'stash mining' last night and found some more items I had bought a while back - but was too disappointed to do anything with - namely...  A box of 2 Armourfast Ausf G's - They were on offer form £8 to £4 when my LMS shut down.  When I opened the box I  was mightily disappointed as the tracks have literally no detail.

However - your idea of 'beaten tanks' - has inspired me and as long as I muddy the tracks up enough they could be really fun.  And for £2 each - worth some experimentation.  

15 hours ago, badger said:

I'd forgotten all about signing up for this gb - shall have to go stash mining!!

All the best

Ben

Hey Ben - I am counting on you to 'keep me on track' with lots of advice and answers to my newbie questions on German Armour.  I'm getting very excited now - Steve ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I only recently noticed I shall be with you @PlaStix hosting this one, that's an honour and joy :yahoo:. Speaking of Wirbelwinds, there's a newish Revell 1:72 kit just reviewed here at our favourite forum, and it looks mighty nice :hmmm:V-P

Hi V-P. I am equally honoured and excited to be hosting with you! :yahoo: And the new Revell kit does seem to be getting a lot of favourable press at the moment.

16 hours ago, BIG X said:

All the best - Steve

Hi Steve. Great to have you on board and it will be fantastic to have one of your 1/72 masterpieces in progress in this GB! :thumbsup: I have added your name to the list here.

All the best

Ben

It's Revell's rerelease of the Maco kit (which was based on the Revell Pz IV).

If it's anything like the ostwind it'll be a nice kit

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben. Looking forward to seeing what you discover in the stash and to following it's rise to magnificence in the GB! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, ijs302 said:

never done a gb before a 1/72 stug i think, i can remember the airfix stug was one of my first built on holiday kits when i was a kid , i,m in if thats ok

Great to have you on board too ijs302. Looking forward to seeing you re-create some childhood memories! I have added your name to the list here.

10 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Picked up a cheap Tamiya MkIV the other week so I'll join you good people if that's ok?

IanJ

Hi Ian and welcome to the GB. Those cheap Tamiya kits are usually a joy to build and result in great looking models! Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this one! I have added your name to the list as well.

It's great we are having more people sign up! The more the merrier!!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

ooh I am really getting quite excited about this GB now.  I am going to dig out my 'Taurus Pursuant' book tonight and have a look for references to Panzer IV's.  Don't get me wrong though...

For I believe that all the men who actually 'did the fighting' in the conflicts that these machines represent were 'doing their duty' and deserve our respect.

It's just that my minor obsession has become the British 11th Armoured Division and their 'adventures' from Normandy to Lubeck.  To this end I am hoping to cover some of their 'adversaries' and the gallant battles that were fought along the way.

If anyone can chip in with advice or historical 'facts' it will all add to making this a more 'interesting story'.

Thanks - Steve :D

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I’ll throw my hat into the ring......sign me up 👍

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon. Welcome on board. I have added you to the list here.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put me down for this one. Not sure what with yet, but a maximum of 1/72; the Revell Nashorn is looking tempting but so is a set of the Zvezda gun tanks in 1/100.

Andy

• Like 2