Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Mig Eater and @John. Sorry for the late reply but I have now added you both to the group build list which can be found here. Welcome aboard.

.....and there's only just over 8 months to go! :thumbsup::thumbsup:..... so make sure you've got all you preparations planned out for the next 8 months:

Month 1 - Spend some time deciding which Pz.IV you think you'll build

Month 2 - Locate and purchase a suitable kit in your preferred scale or find out where it's lurking in your stash

Month 3 - Find research material for the version you're going to build

Month 4 - Get suitable paints and glues ordered

Month 5 - Decide you're going to get aftermarket tracks and a metal barrel

Month 6 - Decide it might look better with plenty of stowage - locate and purchase suitable items

Month 7 - If you're going to include stowage then you might as well get some figures as well

Month 8 - Decide that you've now changed your mind about which kit you going to build and repeat steps 2 to 5 really quickly (the stowage and figures will have to manage!....unless the one you originally chose was a desert version and your now making one from the Eastern Front!!)

Month 9 - ....and relax - you can now start building your Pz.IV!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

I've already had all the parts for my build for a year, I've been to scared to start it (there be a lot of extra resin!). I hoping you lot will give me the courage (or a boot up the a$$) to get it started tho :P

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I've already had all the parts for my build for a year, I've been to scared to start it (there be a lot of extra resin!). I hoping you lot will give me the courage (or a boot up the a$$) to get it started tho :P

I'm sure there will be lots of friendly AFV experts who will be willing to support you with your build!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi @Mig Eater and @John. Sorry for the late reply but I have now added you both to the group build list which can be found here. Welcome aboard.

.....and there's only just over 8 months to go! :thumbsup::thumbsup:..... so make sure you've got all you preparations planned out for the next 8 months:

Month 1 - Spend some time deciding which Pz.IV you think you'll build

Month 2 - Locate and purchase a suitable kit in your preferred scale or find out where it's lurking in your stash

Month 3 - Find research material for the version you're going to build

Month 4 - Get suitable paints and glues ordered

Month 5 - Decide you're going to get aftermarket tracks and a metal barrel

Month 6 - Decide it might look better with plenty of stowage - locate and purchase suitable items

Month 7 - If you're going to include stowage then you might as well get some figures as well

Month 8 - Decide that you've now changed your mind about which kit you going to build and repeat steps 2 to 5 really quickly (the stowage and figures will have to manage!....unless the one you originally chose was a desert version and your now making one from the Eastern Front!!)

Month 9 - ....and relax - you can now start building your Pz.IV!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix you forgot an important step. Hide everything from SWMBO and deny everything if questioned. 

Dennis

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Stix you forgot an important step. Hide everything from SWMBO and deny everything if questioned. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis. Yes that's a fair point although I would have thought that was just standard operating practice - not just prep for one GB.;)

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi

I'll sign up for this one if I can?

I have loads of 1/72 Panzer IV's and variants waiting in the stash.

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, badger said:

Hi

I'll sign up for this one if I can?

I have loads of 1/72 Panzer IV's and variants waiting in the stash.

Kind regards

Ben

Hi Ben. Welcome to the Pz.IV STGB. Great that we will have some more 1/72 Pz.IVs in the GB! :thumbsup: I have added you to the participants list which can be found here.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @PlaStix, I've out my name down for this build but have a question I've acquired this kit

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/622519-dragon-6736-pz-kpfw-iv-ausf-d-w-5cm-kwk-l-60 . With out realising it's a one off panzer for testing a different gun. Basically the question is it eligible for this GB? Or will I have to choose something else? ( Do fancy doing a dak panzer)

All the best

Joss

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Joss said:

Hello @PlaStix, I've out my name down for this build but have a question I've acquired this kit

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/622519-dragon-6736-pz-kpfw-iv-ausf-d-w-5cm-kwk-l-60 . With out realising it's a one off panzer for testing a different gun. Basically the question is it eligible for this GB? Or will I have to choose something else? ( Do fancy doing a dak panzer)

All the best

Joss

Hi Joss. My personal opinion would be that the Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.D w/5cm KwK L/60 would be suitable for this GB. A prototype was put together and actually tested. From what I can gather the tests were successful but the project cancelled due to other circumstances. I would say you can ceratinly build it for this GB. You could of course build a DAK Pz.IV as well!!! :winkgrin: :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Joss. My personal opinion would be that the Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.D w/5cm KwK L/60 would be suitable for this GB. A prototype was put together and actually tested. From what I can gather the tests were successful but the project cancelled due to other circumstances. I would say you can ceratinly build it for this GB. You could of course build a DAK Pz.IV as well!!! :winkgrin: :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cool thanks Stix :)

dont tempt me :P if I find one for a defend price I'll go for it ;)

cheers 

joss

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I make it that there is just under 7 months until this STGB starts. According to my list (above) you should have, by now, spent some time deciding which Pz.IV you think you'll build and now be onto locating and purchasing a suitable kit in your preferred scale, or be finding out where it's lurking in your stash. If you are not at least at this point.......what have you been doing? :winkgrin:

Any more sign ups welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Another monthly bump for this GB. Only half a year to go!! :frantic:or :yahoo:?

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The wait is killing my wallet, I keep buying more & more after market parts for my build, I'm going to have enough to build multiple Panzer IVs at this rate.

BTW I was also thinking of adding a 1/144 Panzer IV as "stowage" to my 1/35 Panzer IV, The idea being that it's a large scale RC model owned by the crew :PWould that be allowed considering I'd technically be building two different model kits?

• Like 3

Hi Mig Eater. Yes I'm looking forward to this GB starting too! Although I keep changing my mind as to what I shall make - so the benifit of the length of time until it starts is that I can keep going through various kits I've got and look through reference material.

With regards the additional 1/144 Panzer IV - I certainly have no problem with it - sounds like a fun idea! I think @vppelt68 will be okay too but hopefully he'll be along soon to confirm it.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

I still have to decide over what I will build. i have got a kugelblitz, three jagdpanzer IV, ostwind and wirbelwind. 

I might do the kugelblitz. 

Cheers,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arniec said:

I might do the kugelblitz. 

I must admit I hadn't seen one of these until you mentioned it here and I just Googled it! It's a great looking vehicle and wouldn't imagine many will be made in the GB.

So it would be great if you do decide to build one.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 09/07/2018 at 11:20, Mig Eater said:

BTW I was also thinking of adding a 1/144 Panzer IV as "stowage" to my 1/35 Panzer IV, The idea being that it's a large scale RC model owned by the crew :PWould that be allowed considering I'd technically be building two different model kits?

Ok for me too! V-P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Just giving this one a bit of a bump. I still haven't settled on what I'm going to build yet and, in fact, last week I ended up picking up another cheap Dragon Pz.IV Ausf.D from Ian Allen in Birmingham. Still got plenty of time to decide............

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Three months from today this GB will be officially starting!! As @Enzo Matrix mentioned above; it's coming up remarkably quickly!!

Are you ready?

I have now made a decision as to what I am going to build. I have a few Pz.IV kits in the stash both in 1/35 and 1/48. I was originally thinking of making one of the full 1/35 Dragon kits I have but, looking at the large number of parts involved - plus knowing how long it will take me to do some of the detailing I will want to do on these kits, I have opted instead to make the first Pz.IV in the Dragon Platz range, which I got cheap a while back:

29723364737_12e28874b4_b.jpg

It appears to be a great looking model - typical of a Dragon kit - but only has 175 parts. This is amazing when you consider Dragon's 2005 version of a Pz.IV had over 1,000 parts!! It seems beautifully moulded but there may be some compromises with the simplified construction - well we'll find out during the GB. I'm hoping, because it has fewer parts, that it will leave me more time for my GB hosting duties. I also reckon if I finish it quickly I could always make one of the 1/48 Pz.IVs as well. We will see.

For more details about this kit you can check it out on Scalemates.

Anyone else decided what they are going to build yet?

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

I'm stunned that this GB is only 3 months away now. Thanks for the reminder Stix.

The T-34 STGB now only needs one brave volunteer to proceed. Can YOU be that person? We've got Shermans, Panzer IVs soon and then there must be space for another iconic vehicle. 

I'm still trying to decide what I build for this. It will be 1/48th but JagdPanzer IV L/48, SturmPanzer IV, Panzer IV D/E hybrid DAK, maybe a Flak Panzer, Decisions...decisions....decisions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I'm stunned that this GB is only 3 months away now. Thanks for the reminder Stix.

The T-34 STGB now only needs one brave volunteer to proceed. Can YOU be that person? We've got Shermans, Panzer IVs soon and then there must be space for another iconic vehicle. 

Go on then, stick me down for the T34. I've never built Russian armour, and I've always wanted to. This will be the kick up the Kursk I will need.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

Stick me down as well. Fair warning: it might only be wargame standard!

Hi Mitch. And welcome - I have added to the list. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2