Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

On 3/3/2019 at 4:22 AM, Badder said:

I MARVEL at how some of you guys can 'churn out' models so quickly, yet to such high standards.

Don't Marvel Badder its an addiction, instead of Heroin or cocaine. We’re addicted to Tamiya and Eduard, with microscopically tiny pieces and intense detail that just calls out to us constantly. Build us ... build me ... its just what we must do. We are driven to it by OCD and other mental factors. 

Dennis

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, andy wood said:

Ok I am even more confused. The list states that the 167 had the stuk 40, but according to wiki, ALL Stug IVs has this

Sounds like you need to spend some time researching.....

Dont forget the first 30-40 were manufactured from re-purposed Tank chassis where production after that was on purpose built chassis. Maybe that’s the answer...

Edited by Plasto

7 hours ago, Plasto said:

Sounds like you need to spend some time researching.....

I take offence to that condescending remark. What do you think I have been doing?? It’s because I have not found the answer that I have come on here to ask!

• Thanks 1

The problem is your original question lacks context.. It's just a question.  Therefore it's impossible to tell if you have spent 6 months on research or just asked a question rather than hitting google. 

Also despite me being allegedly condescending I have actually offered 2 answers to your question which may be correct or open up further avenues of research.. So I've managed to be condescending and helpful at the same time.

Enjoy your build....

Why do you take offence? I'm on several forums, and most of the questions asked (without throwing a stone to somebody) are from the category, I'll ask, because it saves me the time searching. (also not saying that is the fact here, it's a rather intriguing question IMHO, why it's explicitly mentioned and I have no final answer to that, except that originally another gun was proposed of 70 kaliber instead of 48 kaliber)

As stated above it is just a question without background....

I thank Plasto for the information given, but I found the opening paragraph of the second post hinted  that I was being lazy in not researching when what  I thought was asking was a simple straightforward question. I am not knowledgeable on AFV matters so that is why I asked here, where the experts are.

Edited by andy wood
  • Like 2

Hi all. Please draw a line under this discussion now.

We've had a brilliant GB with lots of supportive comments and I don't want a misunderstanding of people's intent in what the question or response was - spoiling what has happened before.

If this continues further I will have a discussion with Enzo and V-P as to whether to remove the comments concerned.

A question was asked and some possible answers provided - let's leave it at that please.

I don't want any more comments trying to defend either position.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

How can it be that there are now only just over 3 days left until the end of this GB?????!!!

I'm still working on my second project and I know many more of you are trying to get finished in time - by 23.59 UK time on Sunday 17th March - when the Gallery will lock.

Good luck to everyone still working and well done to everyone who has got a build in the gallery already - what a fantanstic collection they are.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Just over two days left!! :frantic:

If you are still working on your project - good luck!! - and, if you want it to appear in the Gallery, please make sure your photos are posted in the PZ.IV Gallery section befoe 23.59 (UK time) on Sunday 17th March.

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm going to be tight on the deadline if I try to build a vignette/dio, but otherwise okay for a 'crewed Nashorn' on its own. But where do we stand on placing a model on an already existing diorama/base and photographing it on that? Does an already existing diorama/base break the 25 percent rule?

I've made a comment elsewhere that I personally cast my vote on the 'quality' of the model AFVs alone, and am not swayed by the dioramas themselves. Of course, others will vote for a great AFV in a great diorama, over an identical AFV photographed against a white backdrop, but that's human nature.

With all of the mayhem in the Houses of Parliament at the moment, I'm almost afraid to suggest an amendment to the rules for SOME 'future' AFV GB's - where each clarifies whether dioramas SHOULD BE BUILT AS WELL AND WILL 'COUNT' TOWARDS THE VOTE, or that they are OPTIONAL, AND SHOULD NOT 'COUNT' WHEN IT COMES TO THE VOTING.

Perhaps a referendum could be called to sort this issue out?

Badder......

Shoves the stirring stick back up my jumper and legs it

• Like 4

Hi Badder. You raise some interesting points there but I don't think I can satisfactorily get to them all fully at the moment. With regards photos of your AFV on a scenic base that you haven't made during the GB - I have  an opinion (but it is only my opinion). I think, if you were to display just the AFV (plus figures, stowage,etc.) you have made during the time of the GB in the first few photos in your Gallery post, then I think there’s no harm in including one or perhaps two photos to show it in context on a scenic base - as long as the scenic base isn’t the main focus of the photo. Any features of the scenic base being blurred or far enough in the background to make them less distinct. As you know I take some of my photos with panoramic landscape/sky background - I think they give the photos/setting and the AFV a real life quality. As I said - just my opinion.

With regards voting - that's another matter. If I like a model enough to vote for it in GB poll I tend to check out the build thread before actually voting anyway - so I can see what’s been done - unless I've been following the WIP thread obviously. On the other hand I'm sure there be others who will only vote based on the photos in the Gallery. It's something we have to accept.

I would be interested to hear others comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Badder said:

I've made a comment elsewhere that I personally cast my vote on the 'quality' of the model AFVs alone, and am not swayed by the dioramas themselves.

Hello Badder and Plastix, as a modeler who has followed this  group build. Yet sadly wasn't able to participate, i would like to add my perspective. I vote strictly on the subject of the group build, not the setting the model is in. Don't get me wrong i love Vignettes and Diorama’s, however if they're not the focus of the group build they're secondary.

:lalala: However that does give me a scary idea for a diorama group build. Though Enzo would likely have to stretch that from the usual 4 months to 6 or even possibly 12 months ?   

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

With regards voting - that's another matter. If I like a model enough to vote for it in GB poll I tend to check out the build thread before actually voting anyway - so I can see what’s been done - unless I've been following the WIP thread obviously. On the other hand I'm sure there be others who will only vote based on the photos in the Gallery. It's something we have to accept.

I would be interested to hear others comments.

From my personal perspective i try to follow all the group builds that im interested in. I spend a good amount of time down here, following all the great work going on. I personally vote on the builds i like the best. That or maybe have learned from. Though i agree some others may vote strictly on the Gallery entry.  

Dennis

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

However that does give me a scary idea for a diorama group build. Though Enzo would likely have to stretch that from the usual 4 months to 6 or even possibly 12 months ?   

Hi @Corsairfoxfouruncle . Been there, done that! 😜

Sorry, that was quite rude!

But back in 2016 we did have a vignette GB which was reasonably successful.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/565-vignette-group-build/

The only problem was that it was quite difficult to get an even playing field for everyone. I was host and there were huge amounts of discussion about what was and wasn't acceptable. We kind of shot ourselves in the foot by agreeing to a maximum base size but then we thought it would be fairer to more people rather than a 6 inch square vignette completing against a massive diorama. The idea at the time was to encourage more people to have a go at scenic modelling. There were loads of arguments in the thread and by PM as to how tall it could be, if anything should be allowed to overhang the base, were bought pre-made trees allowed, etc, etc.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you shouldn’t put it forward as a suggestion, but that it has been done fairly recently (in GB terms) although on a small scale, and it was more complicated than I was expecting - and there was far more ‘discussion’ and some upset than during this GB, for example.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

No not putting it forward just popped into my head. I learned my lesson about putting forward a group build idea,

(https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030328-british-afv-group-build-now-30/)

😉

that would/could possibly invite arguments or disagreements. I wont do that again. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No not putting it forward just popped into my head. I learned my lesson about putting forward a group build idea,

(https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030328-british-afv-group-build-now-30/)

😉

that would/could possibly invite arguments or disagreements. I wont do that again. 

Fair enough! It is amazing how this hobby of ours can cause so much disagreement at times and so many heated arguments!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Well........as of 15.25 on Saturday 16th March, I make it that there is about 32 and a half hours left until the Gallery closes on this STGB!

Good luck to all those still working on their Pz.IVs.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Sad 1

Hi Stix,

Not sure where the time has gone but it was great to be a part of the GB and it's made for some great reading across all the builds.

Thanks for many a happy hour. Looking forward to many more

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

Not sure where the time has gone but it was great to be a part of the GB and it's made for some great reading across all the builds.

Thanks for many a happy hour. Looking forward to many more

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Yeah I don't know how this GB is coming to an end in a few hours!! It really has gone quickly........perhaps because we've all been having fun!!

So........as of 17.48 on Sunday 17th March we are just over six hours away from the close of the Gallery.

If you are still working - good luck - but get a move on!!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Well looks like interruptions for building works here have thrown me off, so I won't be able to finish by the deadline however I spent all Saturday and most of today getting the build finished and up to paint primer. It's been fun though and I'll post some update pics, probably take my time painting to ease the boredom of all the monotonous pure brilliant white and magnolia I've still got to do around the house. :)

• Sad 1