Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

In a discussion with @Badder, we've spotted that some Pz IV types had clamps holding their front spare tracks to the storage bracket.  The first I noticed was on a Nashorn, but it appears on tanks also

pz12-4-Panzer4H-T34tracks.jpg

Ignore the Russian (T-34 ?) tracks, but between the third and fourth PzIV spare links you can see a clamp.  This wasn't universal, see the image below - though tracks 3-4 seem normal when used.  (I think I've seen an image with a clamp on the cental pair of tracks - but can't find it just now).

40167775_255348981984684_663368310013401

Question:

Have others noticed this?, and

Is there a rule for when these clamps were used?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

In a discussion with @Badder, we've spotted that some Pz IV types had clamps holding their front spare tracks to the storage bracket. 

I can't take any credit for finding them Robert.  You 'discovered' them all by yourself. From now on I will know them as Robert Stuart Clamps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's been a few weeks since I finished my GB entry, but I just want to thank you all once again, for reigniting my interest in armor modeling. 

BM isnt really an armor place, but it can be thanks to guys like you. 

I'm eagerly awaiting the Patton GB and look forward to more afv builds in the future.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

It's been a few weeks since I finished my GB entry, but I just want to thank you all once again, for reigniting my interest in armor modeling. 

BM isnt really an armor place, but it can be thanks to guys like you. 

I'm eagerly awaiting the Patton GB and look forward to more afv builds in the future.

What? There things OTHER THAN AFV's on here?

You must have clicked on some hidden link, or typed a secret combination of keys, or something.

This is my third GB (and 2nd AFV STGB) and I've enjoyed all 3 immensely. The camaraderie is palpable, what with members supporting one another, offering advice and criticism, passing on their knowledge, and sometimes injecting whit where threads are threatening to become a bit too clinical!

And obviously they are the best place to learn our art, what with all the different styles/techniques on display in the one place.

Have a great time in the Patton GB. I will have to skip that one, I'm afraid, but I will be dropping in to have a look.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well.....you lot have been really busy!! It's taken me most of the day today to try and catch up with everyone's progress! And the Gallery is filling up nicely!:thumbsup:

Checking the calendar I can see that we have three weeks left!........ where has the time gone?! It only seems like two minutes since we started.

I hope evryone still working has enough time to get finished before the Gallery closes on Sunday 17th March at 23.59.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is anyone else slightly freaked out by the sheer quality of the builds in the gallery?   :gobsmacked:

Yup - superb work all round people! 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is anyone else slightly freaked out by the sheer quality of the builds in the gallery?   :gobsmacked:

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Yup - superb work all round people! 👍

Same here - it really makes me want to have a go at 1/35 at some stage - some amazingly 'real' finishes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

Same here - it really makes me want to have a go at 1/35 at some stage - some amazingly 'real' finishes.

I find that the photos of the 1:1 vehicles  used to illustrate e.g. track colours or detail in some threads look less authentic than the models :D 

Andy

• Haha 1

My Sherman from the M3/M4 STGB sits atop my bookcase awaiting its diorama. It seems like that GB only recently finished! Where has the last year gone? I MARVEL at how some of you guys can 'churn out' models so quickly, yet to such high standards. I could easily spend another 3 months getting my Nashorn to a state where I am really happy with it!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Badder said:

My Sherman from the M3/M4 STGB sits atop my bookcase awaiting its diorama. It seems like that GB only recently finished! Where has the last year gone? I MARVEL at how some of you guys can 'churn out' models so quickly, yet to such high standards. I could easily spend another 3 months getting my Nashorn to a state where I am really happy with it!

Rearguards,

Badder

Let's face it mate - that Nashorn is on a level of it's own - 'museum quality' I think they call it ;)

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Let's face it mate - that Nashorn is on a level of it's own - 'museum quality' I think they call it ;)

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Well, that's very kind of you to say Colin, but I wouldn't go so far as to agree with you! If I ever make another (which is highly likely) I'll be sure to make the interior a bit lighter.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badder said:

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Well, that's very kind of you to say Colin, but I wouldn't go so far as to agree with you! If I ever make another (which is highly likely) I'll be sure to make the interior a bit lighter.

Rearguards,

Badder

Colin???  The next door neighbours had a dog called Colin - but he was much better looking than me :lol: ...you can call me Steve though ;)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Colin???  The next door neighbours had a dog called Colin - but he was much better looking than me :lol: ...you can call me Steve though ;)

HEHEHE!

Sorry Steve, yes of course you're Steve! I realised after posting that I'd got it wrong, but I was in the process of uploading new photos to my thread and waffling about each one... .then I forgot to come back and edit my mistake here.

I am so sorry!

Rearguards,

Brian.

I mean Badder.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

I was in the process of uploading new photos to my thread and waffling about each one...

...oh I know that job ever so well... :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

...oh I know that job ever so well... :lol:

I partly blame your avatar. I used to date a girl who looked very similar, and her name was Colin.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Badder said:

I partly blame your avatar. I used to date a girl who looked very similar, and her name was Colin.

Rearguards,

Badder

...do you know who my avatar is... ;)

21 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...do you know who my avatar is... ;)

I'm afraid I have no idea.

Don't ask me why,  but I clicked on the image, copied the link then pasted it into a search engine. That came back with nil results, so I chopped the first group of numbers/letters off the link and pasted it again. When that got nil results I pasted just the last group of letters/numbers and it came up with this on the first page>

jdk8/jdk8/nashorn: edca88d3a03e - java.net

hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/nashorn/rev/edca88d3a03e

OpenJDK / jdk8 / jdk8 / nashorn changeset 414:edca88d3a03e Find changesets by keywords (author, files, the commit message), revision number or hash, or revset expression .

A NASHORN??????

HOW BLOOMIN' SPOOKY IS THAT?????

Just now, Badder said:

I'm afraid I have no idea.

Don't ask me why,  but I clicked on the image, copied the link then pasted it into a search engine. That came back with nil results, so I chopped the first group of numbers/letters off the link and pasted it again. When that got nil results I pasted just the last group of letters/numbers and it came up with this on the first page>

jdk8/jdk8/nashorn: edca88d3a03e - java.net

hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/nashorn/rev/edca88d3a03e

OpenJDK / jdk8 / jdk8 / nashorn changeset 414:edca88d3a03e Find changesets by keywords (author, files, the commit message), revision number or hash, or revset expression .

A NASHORN??????

HOW BLOOMIN' SPOOKY IS THAT?????

It's 'Colin' Vorderman of course - known to her mates as 'Carol' - what a 'babe'...

BUSH068.jpg

BUSH069.jpg

...shown here as the head of the ATC - I need to re-join ❤️ 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

It's 'Colin' Vorderman of course - known to her mates as 'Carol' - what a 'babe'...

BUSH068.jpg

BUSH069.jpg

...shown here as the head of the ATC - I need to re-join ❤️ 

Well I never. There was I thinking it was some actress or member of royalty, back in the 'olden days'.

I do wonder if her stitches would hold if she went above 200ft nowadays. I'd hate to see her face pop!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Sad 1

Hi all. Well we have only six five and a bit days left untill the gallery closes!! Where has the time gone?!!!

We are already on to our second page of the Gallery with excellent models all, on display. There are several more projects which are almost completed and I hope several more will make it into the Gallery by 23.59 (UK time) on Sunday evening.

Good luck to everyone still working on their Pz.IVs!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Can any of you knowledgeable peeps tell me what the difference was between a a Stug IV Sd kfz 163 and a Stug IV Sd. Kfz167? Also the Tamiya kit comes with an MG42, but all photos of the real thing show an MG34. Is either acceptable?