Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

Not that I know of, so I quickly threw this together if one is needed.

That looks sweet!  :coolio:

I think I'm finally 'in' the GB.....Things haven't been brilliant on the modelling front recently, for a variety of reasons, most self-inflicted.  It all got a bit depressing really.  :unsure:

However this GB should actually take three kits out of the unfinished pile, rather than add another three to it, as I can now use my airbrush without asphyxiating myself.  ;)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Not that I know of, so I quickly threw this together if one is needed.

brit_paz4gb.png

I'm still busy moving to a new modelling room, but I hope to join in the GB after the new year. I'll probably change my build to a Trumpeter Dicker Max though, my original Girls Und Panzer project just isn't feasible at the moment.

Thanks Mig - I've done something 'wrong' - but at least I now have a banner - a little 'different'- but that sums me up :lol: Cheers mate

• Like 1

On 27/09/2017 at 20:07, PlaStix said:

:thumbsup:

I have added you to the list!

Hi Stix, I have seen this by chance, and I have to start just a Stug IV, with a thread in open WIP, and I asked, is it possible to open a thread in parallel in the WIP section, and another in the GB, of the same model ?.
Cheers Stix. :santa:

Has anyone got hold of the new Tamiya colours?

XF-88 Dark Yellow 2

Be interesting to see how it compares to the various home brew variations of Dunkelgelb that seem to out there. I have been using various mixes of XF-59, XF-60, XF-2 and XF-57 but find it a bit of a faff. Also available a new green and brown to make up the three colour camo

XF-89 Dark Green 2

XF-90 Dark Brown 2

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Stix, I have seen this by chance, and I have to start just a Stug IV, with a thread in open WIP, and I asked, is it possible to open a thread in parallel in the WIP section, and another in the GB, of the same model ?.
Cheers Stix. :santa:

Hi Francis. It would be great to have you build it in this GB but I'm not sure of the rules regarding having two threads. I'll tag @Enzo Matrix as he's the boss and will hopefully be able to clarify the rules regards this.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Francis. It would be great to have you build it in this GB but I'm not sure of the rules regarding having two threads. I'll tag @Enzo Matrix as he's the boss and will hopefully be able to clarify the rules regards this.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thnaks for reply, waiting, there is no hurry.

Cheers Stix 👍

I think it's 'can of worms' time.  I'm considering going 'tri-colour' - which I have never attempted before - as I've never done a German AFV before.  A friend sent me this a while back...

IMG-4537.jpg

I need to get my painted spoons out for comparison purposes.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 08:35, vppelt68 said:

@mahavelona Road wheels painted and zimmerit added, no more done, for me that'd still be ok to see built here, add foliage, stowage and some figures to add to the total amount of build to see your completed percentage shrink :winkgrin:. V-P

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:44, PlaStix said:

I'm with V-P on this one - you still have a lot to do.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks chaps. As it happens I've made no progress over the weekend and haven't been on Britmodeller so by now I think I should fit the bill.

Unfortunately I went ahead and made a build thread in the WiP section before reading your messages! Doh. Shall I ask a moderator to move my topic into this sub-forum to join the GB?

Cheers - I'm going to go crack on with this zimmerit. 

7 minutes ago, mahavelona said:

Thanks chaps. As it happens I've made no progress over the weekend and haven't been on Britmodeller so by now I think I should fit the bill.

Unfortunately I went ahead and made a build thread in the WiP section before reading your messages! Doh. Shall I ask a moderator to move my topic into this sub-forum to join the GB?

Cheers - I'm going to go crack on with this zimmerit. 

@Enzo Matrix can you help and move the thread, please? V-P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whilst we are here. Does anybody know a 1/35 Panzer IV kit which includes more than one cupola? I'm looking for a spare/extra cupols because I want to convert an old T-34 to a captured model. The Germans often mounted a panzer cupola to these T-34s. Cheers

Work on my new modelling room is progressing well so I hope to join the GB in a weeks or two but I still can't decide on what to build 😵 I originally planned to make a Girl's Und Panzer Ausf.D but that project is to big & has had to be shelved for now. So left in my stash is a Dicker Max that I started about 5 years ago but didn't get very far with before I lot interest. This would be the easy OOB option but as I said I'm not really excited to work on it, but I should make it at some point so why not now 😅 The other option is a Kugelblitz kit that is missing the turret (used on a different project), I can think of 3 different paper panzer kit bash/conversions that I could make with it:

Panzer IV Schmalturm
I have a few spare Schmalturm turrets that need a home & it shouldn't be that much work to modify the parts.
iluiulliuiul.jpg

Panzer IV Ausf.K
This is a proposal made by Krupp (hence the Ausf.K) for an updated version of the Panzer IV with sloped armour. It was rejected as it would have required too much retooling & thus disrupting current production.

This would require scratch building a new fighting compartment, but the Kugelblitz kit has this part as a separate part so the new one can be added without needing to cut up the original kit. 

01.jpg

I dont have a spare Pz IV turret so I'd scratch build this "simplified" turret design also proposed by Krupp to go with the hull.

image.png

Jagdpanzer IV mit 88mm pak43
Another unbuilt proposal by Krupp, this time to to fit an 88mm gun into the Jagdpanzer IV. Again the fighting compartment of the Kugelblitz kit is separate so it would be easy to scratch build the new casemate & add it to the kit.

pzj88ab1.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Don't make me say it.   You wouldn't like me when I say it...   :wicked: 

I'll accept anything between "OMG they're awesome build them all" & "WTF is this crap get out" 😛 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I'll accept anything between "OMG they're awesome build them all" & "WTF is this crap get out" 😛 

Look at some of my other posts on BM and you'll see which is most lkely...  :lol: 

• Haha 3

I built the Ausf K in 1/48 a while back a very enjoyable project.

25552368_386127608492638_184810683498779

I went for the triple roadwheel/ostketten option but that is not mandatory. BTW it was actually the proposed design for the Ausf H but was dropped as it would have disrupted production at a critical time, in a very similar way to 2pdr a/tank gun production continuing despite it's decreasing value on the battlefield. The Ausf K seems to be down to web authors thinking it was the next stage due to not reading the notes with the drawings.

I did some digging and the Krupp proposal 88mm was absolutely unworkable without extensive redesign of the gun so OK for World of tanks but not real life.

• Like 4

Hi all. I have had an enjoyable afternoon reading through the threads. Looks like it's been a busy week so far and it's great to see the wide variety of kits/Pz.IVs being built.

And thank you to all those modellers who have been commenting and offing support and advice in other modeller's threads. In my opinion - this is part of what GBs are about. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

Well it's now been just over two weeks since this GB started and I have to say there has been an impressive amount of modelling going on and what fantastic and varied builds they are too!! I'm sure I'm probably biased, but I don't think there's been such an active STGB for quite a while on BM. I frequently find that new posts have already got as far as part way down page two before I get chance to read them!

So with two and a half moths still to go I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the current builds and wondering who might still join in the fun!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Can I just point out that I'm having an awful lot of fun with my builds in this GB?  :thumbsup:  Wot about you lot?

Great stuff!

I am really enjoying both this GB and making mine.

So much so that I have suggested a Panzer III STGB - which can be found here:

It won't probably get a time slot until 2021 but we've got plenty of other great AFV STGBs in the meantime! Please sign up if you would like it to happen.

Kind regards,

Stix

27 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

It won't probably get a time slot until 2021

There are still STGB slots available in 2020, but we'll have to be careful.  I don't think it's a good idea to have a Panzer III STGB running in parallel with the Panther STGB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2019 at 9:23 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

There are still STGB slots available in 2020, but we'll have to be careful.  I don't think it's a good idea to have a Panzer III STGB running in parallel with the Panther STGB.

I'm all for more AFV STGB's and don't mind waiting a few years (I think I'll still be alive in, say, 2025) but as we're currently doing a Pz IV and have the Tiger 1 lined up. amongst others, how about a Brit tank? This is Britmodeller after all. I think the Churchill (and the many derivatives) would be a great choice. Er.... that's if it hasn't been agreed already. I've lost track!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2