Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

Let's remember that most of the track sag was invented by -70's modellers after seeing badly maintained tanks in museums. Their visions led to huge amount of sag and rust, neither of which never was there while the tanks were in active duty!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Let's remember that most of the track sag was invented by -70's modellers after seeing badly maintained tanks in museums. Their visions led to huge amount of sag and rust, neither of which never was there while the tanks were in active duty!

I don't mean really saggy V-P but there were a lots of Pz.IVs that had some sag between the return rollers. There usually was a slight dip between the rollers which is harder to replicate with band tracks. Couple of photos to illustrate this - both from WW2:

44315786610_d4c09f719a.jpg

46132327261_aa5a9efc3d_b.jpg

I suppose it's all down to personal taste but I prefer to see a bit of sag!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Mmmmmmm.......I’m not sure about that. I have many images in my archive of extremely sagging tracks. Some where the sag coming from the drive and leading to the idler look quite precarious...😬

Very true! I went for a couple of photos of more restrained sagging!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

11 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I don't mean really saggy V-P but there were a lots of Pz.IVs that had some sag between the return rollers. There usually was a slight dip between the rollers which is harder to replicate with band tracks. Couple of photos to illustrate this - both from WW2:

44315786610_d4c09f719a.jpg

46132327261_aa5a9efc3d_b.jpg

I suppose it's all down to personal taste but I prefer to see a bit of sag!

Kind regards,

Stix

HI PLASTIX....I was referencing vppelt's comment, not your reply. I should have quoted as I have done above. But one bit of observation, is the two pics you have popped up is one that looks like a brand new unit and the other I believe is very early in the Barbarossa campaign when I imagine all AFV's were in tip top condition. As things went on and I would imagine after 19343 and in constant retreat, repairs etc would have been harder to keep up....even for OCD German's......😁

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

HI PLASTIX....I was referencing vppelt's comment, not your reply. I should have quoted as I have done above. But one bit of observation, is the two pics you have popped up is one that looks like a brand new unit and the other I believe is very early in the Barbarossa campaign when I imagine all AFV's were in tip top condition. As things went on and I would imagine after 19343 and in constant retreat, repairs etc would have been harder to keep up....even for OCD German's......😁

Hi. Yes it's okay - I knew you were replying to V-P - I just got there first!! :winkgrin: There are some photos showing a there to be little or no sag but I think there was bound to be some (or lots more!) just through gravity on the heavy tracks - unless the tracks were really tight! I think some of the photos of Pz.IVs in motion make them look straighter.

I know I'm going to try and make my DS band tracks have a bit of sag between the rollers.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Very true Stix and Redcoat2966, I'll get me :coat: and go to a quiet room and write down 100 times

"some sag is indeed prototypical"

oh you get the point :rofl:. V-P

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Very true Stix and Redcoat2966, I'll get me :coat: and go to a quiet room and write down 100 times

oh you get the point :rofl:. V-P

I should think so too!! :rofl:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2018 at 11:15 AM, PlaStix said:
On 11/27/2018 at 7:27 PM, vppelt68 said:

Oh yes we have :coolio:. V-P

Edit: Oops only just noticed that Badder posted his question more than a year earlier :doh:

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun!  :lol:

I can't believe that was a year ago! At this rate I'll be reaching my life expectancy in double time!!!

Badder.

ps. I've gone and bought Tamiya's oldie PzIV.

I will probably stick with the StuG IV though.

The PzIV will be my first opportunity to do a desert camo (unless I build my Tiger I (initial production) first.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Badder said:

The PzIV will be my first opportunity to do a desert camo (unless I build my Tiger I (initial production) first.

Hi Badder. Whenever you get around to doing some desert camouflage I will be interested in seeing how you go about it! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Well.......as I mentioned earlier in the week - I got my 1/35 Platz/Dragon Pz.IV Ausf.D out today and got it all washed in warm soapy water. I didn't want to end up with it being the first day of the GB and having to wait until I had washed and dried it before being able to start building! Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll get chance to go through the instructions.

Can't believe that we've only got two weeks now until this STGB starts!:yahoo: :frantic::yahoo::frantic::yahoo:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

But... I don't have a kit yet :hypnotised: V-P

I have six suitable ones. 

Oi, you lot!   Don't say what I think you're going to say.   That's only cool and stylish when I say it.  :smartass:

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Mmmmmmm.......I’m not sure about that. I have many images in my archive of extremely sagging tracks. Some where the sag coming from the drive and leading to the idler look quite precarious...😬

Mmmmmm dont know but sometimes I like my tanks like my women all lean and definately not saggy.... 😁😁

Seriously though why is it that I had this gb as starting today? I am almost done with my zero and the sunderland is not far behind. Even got up at 03:00 this morning to play the catchup game aaaah well should probably just start along on the Tiger. Incidently I bought a mid production tiger for the upcomming tiger build and also a little hetzer I am starting to think that I am going to need a big old table for the dio and that it will take up most of next year....... Pft and people say I have a disorder..... 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, the South African said:

Seriously though why is it that I had this gb as starting today?

Oh no! That's like waking up on a Monday work morning thinking it's a Sunday! Not good..................Oi! all you retired people can keep quiet!! 

6 hours ago, the South African said:

Pft and people say I have a disorder..... 

No you sound fine Shaun (:yikes::mental:)...............now I'm right in thinking that emoticons in brackets can't be seen by the original poster? 

Seriously though your dio idea sounds like it will need some serious space. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the South African said:

Pft and people say I have a disorder..... 

Regards:

Shaun 

Everybody on here has the same thing :D It's a good sign you still recognise the difference.

Some here have yet to get the kit, others (like me) have a choice. My problem is a complete inability to build anything straight-forward. Of all the potential subjects I have I've dismissed most as too involved, not got bits/reference/decals, or already past 25% in the 3Boxes of Doom. One way or another I WILL complete a GB Entry before the GB end-date.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Wow! You did very well getting that kit at that price! Reviews for the kit seem excellent - usual Tamiya fit and detail.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

OK - with little more than a couple of weeks to go I have been doing 'some research' and looking over the kits I have.  I discovered a part today that doesn't appear on the instructions of a very basic PSC I have.  Sadly that's not surprising with PSC kits :lol:  I can't find it on any pictures of 'real' Panzer IV's but I have found a couple of models with it on...

What I'm looking at is this double exhaust or pipe assembly on the side...

GBX68-13.jpg

S7302401.jpg

...do any of the Panzer Experten know what it is and should I pop it on a AUSF H...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance - Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

OK - with little more than a couple of weeks to go I have been doing 'some research' and looking over the kits I have.  I discovered a part today that doesn't appear on the instructions of a very basic PSC I have.  Sadly that's not surprising with PSC kits :lol:  I can't find it on any pictures of 'real' Panzer IV's but I have found a couple of models with it on...

GBX68-13.jpg

S7302401.jpg

...do any of the Panzer Experten know what it is and should I pop it on a AUSF H...

Good evening Steve. Until you posted the photos above I hadn't seen that feature before. Like you - having just had a look on a couple of websites - I have so far only found H version models with whatever they are on. In the descriptions on those sites of the H there doesn't seem to be any reference to it. Hopefully someone will be able to help soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

GBX68-13.jpg

S7302401.jpg

Big X,

there part of the engines air filters, I built a H model a couple of years ago and it mentioned it in the instructions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1