Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

On 18/11/2018 at 05:26, Antoine said:

I must have signed up for this GB somewhere along the road, as I've received the PM reminder.

Thinking about it, I've got load of (good?) excuses for not participating in this GB (most of my Pz.IV stash sold, workshop far from being ready, no time for modelling, awful record at crossing any GB finish line, you name it....), but....

Well, let's have a try.

After all, I still have a few boxes to choose from, and might even have some days off around Christmas, so you never know.

Let me just check my references, I'll then decide about my victim.

Hi Antoine and I think this is when you signed up:

And then you let us see some of the lovely kits in your stash:

I'm hoping you you will find time to build one of them with us.

3 hours ago, the South African said:

I am definately in on this one stix even bought a kit for it. Will just have to build the base large enough to accomodate the tiger later on😉

Regards:

Shaun

Hi Shaun and welcome. I have added you to the list here. Sounds like a good plan about the base! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 17/11/2018 at 14:04, Robert Stuart said:

I hope to take part in this build  - I have a Dragon Hummel ....... but I will have to give priority to the Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command GB

p.s.  @PlaStix, I did just steal your PM idea

Hi Robert. Yes - I hope you do get chance to take part - it would be great to see your Hummel in progress. No problem about the priority being given to the other GB.............:cry:

And I have absolutly no problem in you 'permanently borrowing' the PM idea! :thumbsup: 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi PlaStix

Out of interest does a Versuchsflakwagen Fur 8.8cm Flak.37 Auf Sonderfahrgestell (PZ.Sfl.IVc)  count as a panzer Iv.

O2oEVcJ.jpg

Just wondering as, as local shop has this version for sale

Cheers

Paul

Edited by diases
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, diases said:

Hi PlaStix

Out of interest does a Versuchsflakwagen Fur 8.8cm Flak.37 Auf Sonderfahrgestell (PZ.Sfl.IVc)  count as a panzer Iv.

O2oEVcJ.jpg

Just wondering as, as local shop has this version for sale

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul. As far as I can find out it was based on a PZ.IV chasis which makes it eligible for this STGB! :thumbsup:

It seems to get good reviews online so it's up to you if you fancy buying it.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

You know how you everything planned for a GB, nice small simple kit that you have a chance of finishing - 1/100, maybe 1/72 at the outside, but then you're browsing the interwebs, your finger slips and all of a sudden you're only a postie's knock away from having a Tamiya 1/48 Pz IVH in the stash? That was my lunchtime today. Oops!!

I love Tamiya 1/48 kits me :D 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hello @PlaStix .. I believe you’re running this build if I’m correct ? If not i hope whomever is reads this. I sadly must bow out of a few builds that I'm signed up for, including this one. I have to dismantle and store all of my stash, built kits, and move my office. This wasn't supposed to happen until Feburary originally.   

However that date has been creeping backwards. Last month that got pushed to January. Yesterday morning 22/11/18. I was informed i need to move everything next week. Then i have to figure out how to rebuild in a space 1/2 the size ? Ive been in a bad way today just trying to deal with it all. If i get back up and running in time i will join in at that time. 

Dennis

• Sad 5

17 hours ago, Foxbat said:

You know how you everything planned for a GB, nice small simple kit that you have a chance of finishing - 1/100, maybe 1/72 at the outside, but then you're browsing the interwebs, your finger slips and all of a sudden you're only a postie's knock away from having a Tamiya 1/48 Pz IVH in the stash? That was my lunchtime today. Oops!!

I love Tamiya 1/48 kits me :D 

Andy

Hi Andy. That is great news!! I haven't made one of the Tamiya 1/48 Pz.IVs but I have made a few of their other 1/48 kits and, like you, I have always loved building them. Hope you have a great time building it and I look forward to seeing it in progress! Only three weeks tomorrow until the start!! 

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @PlaStix .. I believe you’re running this build if I’m correct ? If not i hope whomever is reads this. I sadly must bow out of a few builds that I'm signed up for, including this one. I have to dismantle and store all of my stash, built kits, and move my office. This wasn't supposed to happen until Feburary originally.   

However that date has been creeping backwards. Last month that got pushed to January. Yesterday morning 22/11/18. I was informed i need to move everything next week. Then i have to figure out how to rebuild in a space 1/2 the size ? Ive been in a bad way today just trying to deal with it all. If i get back up and running in time i will join in at that time. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis. I am very sorry about your news and hope you manage to get sorted okay. That is a real shame but I hope, if you do get sorted in time, that you manage to join us at some point - even if it is just with a smaller scale model.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 15/10/2018 at 18:34, vppelt68 said:

I only recently noticed I shall be with you @PlaStix hosting this one, that's an honour and joy :yahoo:. Speaking of Wirbelwinds, there's a newish Revell 1:72 kit just reviewed here at our favourite forum, and it looks mighty nice :hmmm:V-P

Oh yes we have :coolio:. V-P

Edit: Oops only just noticed that Badder posted his question more than a year earlier :doh:

• Haha 3

Which to Build?

qq4XuqN.jpg

Panzer H is out, as a lot is built.

Versuchsflak. interesting but does not look like a PZ. IV  (chassis wise)

Nashorn, I think there will be many built

Wirbelwind, few being made

Bergpanzer, possibility, as not really mentioned by anyone

Brummbar, same as Bergpanzer

Panzer E maybe.

I like the idea of a bergpanzer recovering something, (if I can fit the Tamiya tank recovery accessory set spade), or a field workshop type setup.

But I'm sure I'll change my mind again and again🤣

Cheers

Paul

PS. Must keep control, bridge layer looks amazing,  Hehehe

• Like 3

On 26/11/2018 at 22:35, wimbledon99 said:

I'm gonna have a go at one! :smile:

Excellent!

I was going to say I was pretty sure a couple of people had mentioned making Wirbelwinds in this thread!

On 27/11/2018 at 19:27, vppelt68 said:

Oh yes we have :coolio:. V-P

Edit: Oops only just noticed that Badder posted his question more than a year earlier :doh:

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun!  :lol:

On 27/11/2018 at 20:00, the South African said:

Mmmmmmm the box is under the worktop gents I amy just end up getting it a little partner but time will tell I think. 

Regards:

Shaun 

Excellent!! ..........and it's not long now until we can start! :yahoo:

9 hours ago, diases said:

Which to Build?

Panzer H is out, as a lot is built.

Versuchsflak. interesting but does not look like a PZ. IV  (chassis wise)

Nashorn, I think there will be many built

Wirbelwind, few being made

Bergpanzer, possibility, as not really mentioned by anyone

Brummbar, same as Bergpanzer

Panzer E maybe.

I like the idea of a bergpanzer recovering something, (if I can fit the Tamiya tank recovery accessory set spade), or a field workshop type setup.

Cheers

Paul

I was going to suggest either the Bergpanzer or Brummbar - as there probably won't be many made. Ultimately it will be up to you. You have got two and a half weeks to make up your mind.........or to change it several times! :frantic:

I'm planning on getting my kit out of it's box at the weekend to see what's what and probably get it washed in warm soapy water.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

..............I'm planning on getting my kit out of it's box at the weekend to see what's what and probably get it washed in warm soapy water.

Kind regards,

Stix

That's a good idea Stix......got my project for the weekend.....:yes:

Simon

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

That's a good idea Stix......got my project for the weekend.....:yes:

Simon

Hi Simon. I'm kind of keen to be getting my Pz.IV started but at least this way I won't have to be washing the kit on the first morning and waiting for it to dry - which is a mistake I have made in the past in other GBs :doh:

I'll also make sure I got any paints together I might need and plan how I'll actually make it.................because I brush paint I often have to do some of the assembly in a different order than the instructions would suggest.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Yeah, same problem here....I have chosen another open top so all the internals need painting before I build the main turret. Plus I've added in a PR upgrade set to complicate things somewhat.

On the upside, my colour scheme is a "plain Jane" Panzer Grey, as only two were built for field testing before DunkelGelb became standard in 41/42.....I don't think they were operational by then....

Although in reading on the question of what colour "WAS" Panzer Grey.....I read some chap's research that he comes to the conclusion that is was was virtually a Blue/Black....:huh:, like a dark Prussian Blue. He said due to black and white images and the presence of dust it has been assumed to be as is portrayed very often a much blue'er grey. They even have blue filters to accentuate it on a paint job of Panzer Grey.

I  might do some test's on an old hulk and pre-mix this darker Panzer Grey before the 15th.

Simon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Yeah, same problem here....I have chosen another open top so all the internals need painting before I build the main turret. Plus I've added in a PR upgrade set to complicate things somewhat.

On the upside, my colour scheme is a "plain Jane" Panzer Grey, as only two were built for field testing before DunkelGelb became standard in 41/42.....I don't think they were operational by then....

Although in reading on the question of what colour "WAS" Panzer Grey.....I read some chap's research that he comes to the conclusion that is was was virtually a Blue/Black....:huh:, like a dark Prussian Blue. He said due to black and white images and the presence of dust it has been assumed to be as is portrayed very often a much blue'er grey. They even have blue filters to accentuate it on a paint job of Panzer Grey.

I  might do some test's on an old hulk and pre-mix this darker Panzer Grey before the 15th.

Simon.

Hi Simon. I decided to go for a much simpler kit this time around, as I'm hosting, but it does sound like yours should be the bee's knees! :thumbsup: I keep looking at some of the other kits in the stash but know I wouldn't get them anywhere near complete with all the chatting I'm probably going to do!! Last night I was pondering what I would do if I finished the PLATZ Ausf.D and checked out the two Tamiya 1/48 kits I've got - but it turns out I'd also purchased Zimmerit and etch sets for them - so they're out! Hey ho.

Kind regards,

Stix

EDIT: Sorry - meant to say: yes I've heard 'Panzer Grey' is a bit of a can of worms. I tend to use Revell's Aqua Tank Grey version which, by the time it's weathered and covered in mud, looks okay to me! And it's what I'll be using on my Pz.IV.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, diases said:

Which to Build?

qq4XuqN.jpg

Cheers

Paul

That Bergepanzer looks different ! I reckon that's the way to go  :wink:

• Like 2

this will be my entry - my first internet build, I forgot to take pictures for the 100 year anniversary of WW1, did a Mk IV male - so pictures are the big thing for me, and then posting them i guess....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/935625-dragon-6816-pz-kpfw-iv-ausf-a

• Like 2

On 29/11/2018 at 14:23, sampanzer said:

this will be my entry - my first internet build, I forgot to take pictures for the 100 year anniversary of WW1, did a Mk IV male - so pictures are the big thing for me, and then posting them i guess....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/935625-dragon-6816-pz-kpfw-iv-ausf-a

Hi Sampanzer. That looks to be great kit. Dragon have a reputation for great Pz.IVs. I think one of the main things modellers take issue with is the DS tracks - really depends whether you mind having to make up Magic Tracks or not. The DS ones are usually nicely detailed - the ones with my kit have hollow guide horns. They are also take more work to get them the have suitable sagging across the top of the return rollers. Hopefully you will enjoy building yours and I'm looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2