Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

19 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Hello chaps,

Could you sign me up for this GB please.

Like @Lawzer I am a complete novice when it comes to armour, but a friend of mine recently gave me a book by a chap called Jose Luis Lopez Ruiz (good name) titled 'Painting guide for AFV of world war two and modern era' (not a good name) of which he had two copies and I was really smitten by the way the author goes about constructing the paint layers and finishes of his models.  Enthused I acquired  three  Clanky-Tanky things at SWM today, the first of which is shown below:

30873766907_a6e3b23be7_c.jpg

I've read a lot about Dragon kits good and bad but I'm quite looking forward to stepping outside of my comfort zone.

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark and welcome aboard. I have added you to the list here. And congratulations!......you are the 50th signup! It would be fantastic if all 50 modellers took part.............fingers crossed!

And that looks a rather impressive kit! It seems to get very good reviews. Looking forward to seeing your build of it.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

One Zvezda 1/35 PZ IV Ausf E added to the stash after day 1 at Telford, wish I'd found that Ausf G that @MarkSH found!

Will have to see if I can find the long barrel needed to convert my E to an F tomorrow.

Hi Craig. Hope you are having a good couple of days at the show. The Zvezda E looks very good and seems to get very good reviews. Hope find the barrel you want.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Hope you are having a good couple of days at the show. The Zvezda E looks very good and seems to get very good reviews. Hope find the barrel you want.

Kind regards,

Stix

Had an excellent couple of days, the kit does look good to me but I am no expert on them.

Decided to go with the kit barrel and try to find markings for an Afrika Korps one, or maybe one in a winter wash...

• Like 2

OK - Just bagged a DRAGON 1/35 FLAKPANZER IV WIRBELWIND (KIT NO 6540); seemed like a bit of a bargain at £20

Not built anything like this before (just 'standard' tanks) so looking forward to this one :smile:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Had an excellent couple of days, the kit does look good to me but I am no expert on them.

Decided to go with the kit barrel and try to find markings for an Afrika Korps one, or maybe one in a winter wash...

Glad you had a good time and I'm sure you'll make a cracking job with the the Zvezda kit!

14 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

OK - Just bagged a DRAGON 1/35 FLAKPANZER IV WIRBELWIND (KIT NO 6540); seemed like a bit of a bargain at £20

Not built anything like this before (just 'standard' tanks) so looking forward to this one :smile:

Hi Nigel.  That sounds like a real bargain and the reviews seem to suggest it's a very good kit too! Looking forward to following your build of it!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel.  That sounds like a real bargain and the reviews seem to suggest it's a very good kit too! Looking forward to following your build of it!

Kind regards,

Stix

Just read a review that states there are over 900 parts!! That cant be correct; can it?? If so, I'm thinking  :unamused:  &  :headbang:  &  :nuts:  &  :facepalm:

:wink:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Just read a review that states there are over 900 parts!! That cant be correct; can it?? If so, I'm thinking  :unamused:  &  :headbang:  &  :nuts:  &  :facepalm:

:wink:

Don't panic!! From what I can see it comes with Magic Tracks? If so - a fair amount of the parts will be them. That's not complicated building just dull. You could do that while watching TV. I found once I got into a routine with Magic Tracks they are fairly straight forward. Usually with Dragon a lot of the parts don't get used. When you open the boxes of Dragon kits they do seem daunting but they are usually a straight forward progression - although sometimes the instructions are not the best! I'm sure other modellers will be able to offer support!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PlaStix said:

Don't panic!! From what I can see it comes with Magic Tracks? If so - a fair amount of the parts will be them. That's not complicated building just dull. You could do that while watching TV. I found once I got into a routine with Magic Tracks they are fairly straight forward. Usually with Dragon a lot of the parts don't get used. When you open the boxes of Dragon kits they do seem daunting but they are usually a straight forward progression - although sometimes the instructions are not the best! I'm sure other modellers will be able to offer support!

Kind regards,

Stix

I hope so!!  I'm off for a lie down  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

I hope so!!  I'm off for a lie down  :laugh:

Don't fall asleep!......you may have nightmares about tanks with loads of parts!!! :frantic:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 2

Sadly, I've had to scrap the Nashorn as my theme for this GB.

There are a few reasons why.

1.  A 33% price-hike in the past 2yrs,  This is sheer cheek and greed in my opinion, and not something I am happy to condone right now.

2. I had planned to get two PE kits for the Nashorn, knowing full well that this would push the cost of the model closer to 90 quid. Now it's closer to 100 quid and bordering on immoral.

3.  If I were going to spend that kind of money on one relatively small model, I'd want all the time in the world to make sure it was constructed and painted to the highest standards I can reach. And I don't think 3 months, or even 6, is anywhere near long enough.

It is with heavy heart that I do this, but I do have a replacement, which has been squatting in my stash for over a year now, along with two sets of PE which were purchased around the same time. I have to build it some time, so what better occasion to do so than during a PzIV GB?

The out-lay for the model parts, then - £0. A lot less than the Nashorn!

I said the model has been 'squatting' in my stash, as a bit of a clue.

Here are some more:

One of the PE kits is for extensive Zimmerit coating.

I first saw this kit back in the 70's, featuring in one of Francois Verlinden's f.antastic dioramas which regularly graced the centre pages of Tamiya catalogues.

It's a 'Golden Oldie' then, and appears very much to be made of 'gold' according to the vintage box art.

It is of course, based on the PzIV chassis, not the extended PzIV chassis of the Nashorn, and is therefore smaller, and a far simpler build. In fact, it's probably the smallest and simplest build there can be for this GB.

Have you guessed what it is yet?

Yep, Tamiya's StuGIV. The build time OOB is massively shorter than is required for the Nashorn, but as I said, I will be giving it the full beans with the PE. I will probably lose lots of small bits, what with my nerve-damaged fingers, but hey. On that note. I'm not going to chop up, file, or cut the kit parts until I have the PE parts folded into shape and ready to glue on. I am currently researching the camo patterns. Although Tamiya's StuG IV is an 'early' version, I'm hoping that some survived towards the end of the war and sported the later 'ambush' type camos.

If not, then it's going to get the full winter camo job!

Time permitting, it will get a small display base as well. If the StuG ends up in winter camo, it may become one of my 'options' for displaying on my 'Pit Stop' diorama.

For those who don't know, I am thinking of constructing the diorama in such a way that I can swap the subject vehicles/figures over, storing the different 'options' in cases.

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi Badder. It is a shame you are not going to be doing the Nashorn (sounds like a country music dance) but I think it will be best leaving it until you have the proper length of time to do it justice. Also - it is annoying that some kits and aftermarket items are going up so steeply in price at the moment. I saw some kits years ago, when I got back into kit building, and thought - one day I might purchase them when I felt I had the confidence to make them properly. Some of them now go for silly money and I won't bother. Hey ho.

Your choice of the Tamiya Stug IV sounds like a good one to me and I will look forward to your work on it - especially with the PE extras.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Your choice of the Tamiya Stug IV sounds like a good one to me and I will look forward to your work on it - especially with the PE extras.

Hmmmmmm. I did see a Tamiya PzIV in my Local Model Railway Shop on Saturday. Can't remember the version, and not sure it'll be there tomorrow......

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Any luck with the Tamiya Pz.IV in your local shop?

Kind regards,

Stix

The wife's birthday and some rather expensive camera equipment has put pay to that idea, temporarily at least. If I go for a PzIV I will have to wait until next pay day. By then I suspect I shall have to rely on t'internet as the Local Model Railway Shop only stocks about 8 1/35th AFV kits at any one time, and they sell quickly.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure if I'll be ready in time for the start date (missing some parts I need & moving my work area to a different room). I could start later but then I might not have enough time to finish the build & I dont want to rush though it, so I might drop out of this GB.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

It's arrived  :yahoo:  I'll start washing the sprues this week. I should have them all done by the time the build starts!!  :wink:

:clap::clap2::clap:That is great news!! And it does look like it's a box full of goodies!!

43 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm not sure if I'll be ready in time for the start date (missing some parts I need & moving my work area to a different room). I could start later but then I might not have enough time to finish the build & I dont want to rush though it, so I might drop out of this GB.

That is a shame but quite understandable. Hope you manage to build it at some point.

Kind rgerads,

Stix

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Badder said:

The wife's birthday and some rather expensive camera equipment has put pay to that idea, temporarily at least. If I go for a PzIV I will have to wait until next pay day. By then I suspect I shall have to rely on t'internet as the Local Model Railway Shop only stocks about 8 1/35th AFV kits at any one time, and they sell quickly.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. Oh well - at least you have some good camera equipment and, hopefully, your wife has some great presents!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Great service your reminder @PlaStix

Very much appreciated!

No problem at all! Just thought it was worth a mention as a lot of people signed up quite a while ago and may have not noticed it is happening next month.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Shame on me, but I started my DML Pz IV D DAK kit.

I did however, pick up another DML Pz IV for the GB. I bought the DML Pz IV D with the long barreled 50mm gun. It has all the right parts for a D or E model in the box.

This one is to be built as an up armored Pz IV D/E  variant from Panzer Regiment 8. Between the kits, I have plenty of parts to pull this off. I also ordered Fruils and Master Club tracks.

Looking forward to the GB!

G

• Like 2