Polikarpov I-16 Type 5 1/72 (vac replacement?) canopy question

TonyTiger66

Hello fellow modellers,
I hope you are having a pleasant weekend.
I am building a 1/72nd scale Amodel Polikarpov I-16 Type 5. Unfortunately something strange happened to the canopy.

It is no longer clear, it has gone a milky white and is now opaque. I live in Queensland Australia and had stored it in a little parts tin. I feel maybe humidity or some other factor related to heat caused this change, as it hasn't happened to canopies stored in normal kit boxes or zip-lock bags.

It has probably been cooked! :weep:

I have tried emailing Amodel and they cannot provide a canopy, only complete kits. I then found out that Falcon list an I-16 canopy in their Russian canopy 1/72 set. Unfortunately it isn't listed as an individual item in the Squadron range, so I would have to buy the complete Falcon set.

It would be better value for money to buy this set than another I-16 kit, but I can't find any pictures of the Falcon set and wondered if the canopy included is the correct early type I need?

It needs to be quite 'tent' shaped and fully enclosed. Does anyone know what type is in the set?

Finally, I am hoping to model a Spanish Civil War Example (I know the kit has probably the wrong type of wings. I can live with this - this time ;) ).
I did wonder if anyone knows of a picture showing a SCW Polikarpov Type 5 (6?) with the later, open, round windshield rather than canopy?

So far I have only seen this on type 10's, but if any type 5's like this existed my problem is solved. I have a good non-fogged one as I left it in the kit box rather than in the 'cooking' tin!

I wonder why it became so fogged in that little tin, was it really that warm in there? :hmmm:
Thank you for reading
All best regards

Tony

Hi Tony! I can't help on the SCW question, but I do know that Falcon set No.24 includes only the later, rounded canopy. and not the early style that you require. Unfortunately no one else makes a replacement, either. Two possibilities:

(1) Give the kit canopy a good sanding and polishing followed by a dip in Future or something similar and see if it cleans up. Losing the framing molded into the canopy is no big deal - you can replace it by painting or applying strips of painted tape.

(2) If (1) is not successful, at least it's a good preparation for hand-forming a new one by heating some acetate sheet, properly supported, and then plunging the canopy into it. A search of the Internet should get you clearer instructions. The main difficulty with this process is just finding appropriate acetate from used food packaging.

FWIW, there were late type 5's built or modified with the rounded windscreen, so the possibility is still there to do one of these; you just have to track down a real-life example in SCW markings, assuming one existed. I know I have seen photos of an SCW I-16 type 5 with the early canopy, so type 5's were used in Spain.

John

• Like 1

Hi John,
Thank you for your very helpful advice. I tried the buffing and Future solution this morning, but no use. It seems the 'whitening' has gone all the way through :weep:.

You have saved me the 'risk' of buying the Falcon set. I love Falcon canopies and have 3-4 sets, but I rarely model VVS subject, so to buy a complete set for such a very tiny plane then find that the canopy was the wrong type - well, that would have been frustrating.

I have found many profiles of Frank Tinker's '026' stating it was a type 6, and many models made showing it as a type 10.

From all the photos I have seen, with old 'telescopic' style gunsight and the framing on the window, I feel his initial aircraft was a type 5 with the rear canopy cut away, leaving just the peaked front.

I really must have a go at the plunge moulding process. The last time I tried it was in the late '90's on a quite different subject: to replace the blue tinted window dome in an IMAI Thunderbirds 'FAB" Rolls Royce with a home made clear one. It all went dreadfully wrong, repeatedly. Nevertheless this is a very tiny subject, so hopefully a little more forgiving.

I *have* found a superb photo of a late type 5/6 with the curved windshield in Finnish markings. I have been thinking I should do some Finnish subjects, so maybe this is a solution (although, it's a cop-out isn't it - I should crash mould!).

I will start looking for acetate.... ;):coat:

All best regards
Tony

• 8 months later...
On 10.4.2016 at 4:29 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

I *have* found a superb photo of a late type 5/6 with the curved windshield in Finnish markings. I have been thinking I should do some Finnish subjects, so maybe this is a solution (although, it's a cop-out isn't it - I should crash mould!).

Hi Tony and all.

The Finnish bird (VVS red "15", Finnish IR-101) was an I-16 tip 5 converted to open cockpit and RS-82-rockets as an ground assault plane. There is a new windscreen but old gun sight and early cockpit's slide rail on the left hand side cockpit door clearly visible.

The I-16 canopy in general is one of the easiest for trying crash moulding IMHO.

Cheers,

AaCee