Hawker Hunter T7 4FTS RAF Valley

and hopefully the end point.

IMG_1417_zpsa72db29x.jpg

This is XL618 at the Camarthen Air museum in North Wales.

Colin

Without wanting to be too pedantic, you probably mean Caernarvon Air Museum which is in North Wales whereas Carmarthen is in South West Wales and does not have an Air Museum.

I remember holidaying near Caernarvon as a boy and loved seeing the Hunters doing circuits overhead.

Great work so far, the Hunter is one of the few aircraft where the 2 seater looks as good as the single seater version.

Hi

Yes it was indeed Caernarvon Air Museum not Carmarthen. Clearly my Welsh geography is a bit out of date. Surprising as my daughter is going to a Welsh University!.

Well I've been a bit busy with work over the last week and only managed a bit of masking here and there. However thats probably best with these schemes. 3 days masking and 1 hour painting being the key!

I got the grey on yesterday and managed the red and strip down this morning. The spine was a bit wavy and took some retouching but overall came out OK. Only when doing this did I remember what a pain these schemes are but they look good at the end.

And the red applied with masking removed.

IMG_2294

A bit of touch up required and then I'll wait a few days before sealing it for decaling. This scheme does emphasize the errors in the position of the saw tooth and elevator/flap junction in the kit. Always will 2 be correct but never the 3!

I'll do a bit more on the Widgeon I started earlier over the next few days. Shes snuck into the last picture.

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture restoration
  • Like 7

Thanks Guys

I always thought these schemes were the same but while looking into this I realised there are subtle variations. There are 2 main variations, Some planes have the red spine following the curves of the fuselage as I have done, while others have a more straight line back from the canopy sills to the spine.

It might be interesting to note if anyone else is building this scheme.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi All,

Not much progress on the body of the jet this week as I wait for the paint to settle but I did build the undercarriage and get it stuck on. All the tiny actuating arms in the Academy kit are quite a fiddle but I managed to get them all in.

Main legs are from Aeroclub but I did use the kit nose leg modified and with the Aeroclub wheel.

IMG_2318

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture restoration
  • Like 2

Today was another public holiday here in the land of smiles so I printed the decals last night and sealed them during today. I printed the decals for the Widgeon at the same time if you're wondering why Tourist Air travel were in the Hunter business.

IMG_2320

I also added the normal decals, some from the kit and roundels from Xtradecals.

IMG_2329

I used Humbrol decal fix for the second time. I find it has left a white residue where it pooled on the decals. You can see on the near wing. I'm hoping it will wash off and be lost under the clear coat. I'll put the serials on tomorrow after they have fully dried.

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture restoration
  • Like 2

Well my quest to find the nose number for XL618 in 4FTS has been fruitless so I decided to have another look on the net. I did not learn the nose code but only that she was dismantled and moved to Newark 2 years ago. Defeats the point of building the Welsh jet somewhat!. Anyway I have decided to go with the more famous XL600 G-VETA which carried the 83 slot with 4 FTS.

I also put a coat of future over the previous decals but the white stain from the decal fix is still there. I dont think i'll be using this again!

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture restoration

These under wing decals are a pain to fit round the undercarriage doors. Here's how I did mine. Not too great an idea as you need a spare kit but it worked well enough.

Step 1, cut out decal and position on spare kit

step 2 Mark round the opening on reverse.

Step 3 cut to shape

Step 4 Apply

Looking good now! Any body got a better method other than using kit decals?

Colin

• Like 3

Well great progress this week.

The last of the decals went on followed by a coat of Future on Monday

Masking tape removed from canopy Tuesday and canopy polished with rubbing compound.

Pitot re-attached to wing. This is a sewing needle as I keep breaking lesser materials for these.

Last bits added, vent tail bumper pylon ejector covers, tanks, gun barrel etc.

Tip of fin, tail pipe etc painted.

Job done.

Here are a few pics to finish the WIP thread .

IMG_2332

IMG_2333

Cheers

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture restoration
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...