Airfix 1:72 BE2c

Thanks for the comments guys. Good spot on the 'dark white' of the roundel Ian. I don't think I ever would have spotted that. It's funny how your eyes see what they expect to see. It was quite hard to replicate the effect and it still needs a bit of tweaking but here is where I've got to.

DSC_0070.jpg

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 2

I think that translucent effect on the wings looks really effective and may well pinch your technique when I come to build my kit.

Martin

I'd love to see someone else try it with this kit. I'm sure you could get a much better effect with an airbrush.

I've made a start with the rigging and this time I'm going to try something completely different by attaching the rigging directly to the struts. In theory it should work but the whole thing could go horribly wrong!

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

• Like 3

I think you will be fine with your rigging method, a friend uses the same method and he gets good results every time. As for wishing you had an air brush, if ever I saw an example of someone who doesn't need one it is you. The effects you have achieved on the wings are amazing!

Martin

• Like 1

Well I was looking at the pictures of the beautiful barracuda seat and realised I just wasn't happy with how delicate it looked next to those very thick fuselage sides. There was only one thing for it - start again!

So here's where I am with the fuselage sides drastically sanded. Framing is made of evergreen strip and bracing wires are invisible thread painted. I think they look a bit thick though so may try painting with a pen or just leaving unpainted.

DSC_0099.jpg

Here is the seat very loosely held in place and I think it looks a bit more natural now.

DSC_0106.jpg

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 1

I think you efforts to improve the interior are going to pay dividends, especially seeing as how you have put so much effort into the exterior. You should end up with something rather special.

Martin

Thank you for the comments guys, much appreciated. A few pictures of my reworking of the fuselage bracing. I glued the invisible thread to the struts before gluing the struts to the fuselage. It was quite fiddly but I think it looks more realistic now. DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 2

The trouble with thinning the fuselage sides is that the instrument panels don't fit any more! So after looking at too many wwi cockpits I decided to go for one with an 'Elliot Bros' panel which seems to be an additional board on top of the panel itself. It's very small but I quite enjoyed making it.

DSC_0005.jpg

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is lovely work in that scale. I did similar on the old Revell 1:28 Camel a few years ago and that was enough for me. And I still haven't finished it come to think of it.

• 9 months later...
On 17/04/2016 at 4:27 AM, markleecarter said:

I'd love to see someone else try it with this kit. I'm sure you could get a much better effect with an airbrush.

Here's mine done with an airbrush, also using the odd grey Airfix decals. I'm sure it was quicker but I don't think it is any better than your effort.

IMG_5118_zpswhew3for.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...