MFH 1/12 Porsche 917k

Right - started to add some details.
Belts and pulleys are cast - painted them and added and then started on the fun job of wiring the speak plugs!
Lots of wire (12 cylinder!) and lots of very fine drilling of holes for the wires to be glues in to. But it seems to have gone together ok so far - I want the cables to look neat and natural, so probably lots of tweaking once each end is 'glued' in.

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

You have to be aware what components and other plumbing is coming, so you can route the wires suitably.

One example is the air intake trumpets. These ended up being a massive pain, due to one process I did ahead of time!

In the instructions for this kit, they suggest the addition of these bolts is 'optional' - though all parts are included. I gave the cast strip of fittings a gentle pass with the dremel brass wheel to add some shine, and drilled the 4 tiny holes required on each of the 12 trumpets - there is a tiny imprint to mark the hole location. They are so small that I had not realized they were 'hex' ended with a tiny hole until I saw this photo!

IMG_1631.jpg

At the top of these trumpets there is an injector on each one - cast fitting. I added these at this point as well, after first using the earth colour wash I had used on the other 'resin' parts on the engine - (fan etc.) This ended up being a mistake...fitting these injectors meant that I could not simply place the shroud on top of them once I had glued them to the engine (I had wanted to do this in order to align them all) - I should have done that first THEN fitted the injectors...lesson learnt (the instructions do show the injectors being fitted after the shroud....)

IMG_1754.jpg

Quick test fit of the exhaust system...

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

...not glued these in yet as I don't want to mark them, but they are fitted before mounting the engine in the framework.

One side done (lots of swearing with those trumpets).

IMG_1756.jpg

Then on to the other side....

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

• Like 3

thanks guys - I'm just going slowly! Kit is awesome..

So far the exhaust is just Tamiya matt white acrylic - I'll darken the inner tips, and maybe a tiny bit around the end edges of the pipes...but I'm not going overboard with the weathering...

Wired the other side, and managed to fit the shroud with less swearing on this side...

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

Now it was time to fit the fuel lines. These are cream in color (as shown on the flat-16!) and they thread through these tiny black pieces that I had drilled out and fitted a while back...

IMG_1778.jpg

The red ignition wires are - wire. So they thread through tiny holes easily, as you can 'push' them. I discovered that the fuel lines are actually very soft tubing. It was going to be almost impossible to thread them - especially with the decreasing access to these pipe-guides. For the same reason, the tubing does not sit very easily 'IN' the holes I had drilled in injectors and fuel systems - again, the red wires were glued INTO holes. There was nothing to it but to fit some wire 'pegs' for the tubing to sit OVER. So, 24 of these little tiny pieces of brass wire added...

IMG_1779.jpg

Showing them fitted to the injectors...

IMG_1780.jpg

and a quick test fit with an off-cut...

IMG_1781.jpg

As I mentioned, there was no way I was going to be able to fit and thread the pipes through the guides that are on the fan housing, so I came up with a solution that I am quite pleased with, of providing wire 'pegs' to fit the tubing to either side of the guides...

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

I can now (fairly) easily fit the tubing on to the ends with tweezers, and it will look like a continuous pipe...

IMG_1789.jpg

• Like 1

I'm flabbergasted with the level of detail in this kit.

Great solution you found fot the tubing

Don't do it!!!

I saw another 917 LH (long tail version) model that is staggering and thought the same - BUT - these kits are superb - honestly I'm not doing anything fancy - just not rushing and treating each bit as a sub-assembly. I'm screwed when it gets to painting the bodywork :)lol

But seriously - anyone can make this - I have added hardly anything to what came in the box (in fact just the odd screw head)

Just copy (that's is what I have been doing - lots of very nice kits of this make...) and learn from these forums...

But seriously - I am being seriously flattered by the kit itself!

The white fuel lines were surprisingly easy - my 'cheat' around the pipe guides worked well, and the pegs in the ends of the injectors and the fuel system worked well and made fixing very easy.
I attached all the wires 'over-length' first just to get the routing neat, then trimmed and glued after that...bit of a pain trying not to let the pipe kink around the tight bend to injector, but no big deal...

IMG_1798.jpg

over-length for test fit...

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

I'd also added the remaining linkage and connecting rod to the throttle...

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

...engine is almost there. Lots of tidying up - adding some more PE screw heads, a little bit of wash etc, and touching up scratched or chipped paint here and there. Exhausts to add, and some more wiring - starter, alternators etc.

Next stage is into the frame, but I kinda want to wait and work on some of my other 1/12 engines a bit more so that I can takes pictures of a 'line up' of classic engines. MP4/4 Honda, Williams Renault etc...
Doesn't stop me starting on other parts of the car though...

Arty shot....

IMG_1796.jpg

• Like 2

I want to know the super secret handshake and incantation to get this engine in the birdcage frame without disturbing any of your great engine work! I guess I'll hold onto the kit for a while longer. I'm going to go back to my Pocher Alfa and finish it along with the Ferrari when the Mercedes is done and sit back and enjoy your 917 build.

Wow...looking at this engine, I now understand why MFH sells their engines as a kit on its own. Looking real good.

Regards,

Jeremy

yep - although I have some of the car kits those engines come from, I'm still tempted by the engine kits, just so they can be seen!!

I want to know the super secret handshake and incantation to get this engine in the birdcage frame without disturbing any of your great engine work! I guess I'll hold onto the kit for a while longer. I'm going to go back to my Pocher Alfa and finish it along with the Ferrari when the Mercedes is done and sit back and enjoy your 917 build.

I tried it last night and have it figured - it DOES just get in, but there will certainly have to be paint touch-up work on the frame once the engine is in!!