MFH 1/12 Porsche 917k

Having started my MP4/4 WIP I am adding another. I'm starting a few kits at the same time - I want to do a 'compare engines' project at some point.

This is on another forum as well, but adding here simply because the amount of knowledge and advice is huge!

This will be picture heavy again, and it is partly to get tips from your guys, so all comments welcome! Don't expect fast progress - finding time to do this stuff gets harder and harder - but I hope you enjoy...its going to be picture heavy!

I went for the red 'Version C' that raced at '70 Sarthe 24hr Race' - I love the Gulf cars, but 'everyone does them...' :winkgrin:

DSC06198.jpg

IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_8318.jpg

DSC06196.jpg

DSC06201.jpg

Special sheet for lining tghe complicated framework up...

DSC06200.jpg

My biggest (only?) gripe with MFH models - the packaging! These white metal parts are soft, and cling-filming them down like this means that some parts are bent or even damaged - crazy with a model that is this expensive.

IMG_8321.jpg

IMG_8328.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

grrrrrr...

IMG_8366.jpg

Most things can be bent back easily - but if you want a perfectly straight, long rod - it might be hard to get exact...

DSC06268.jpg

Lots of small bits!

IMG_8337.jpg

DSC06250.jpg

'Resin' parts as seen on the real cars...

DSC06208.jpg

DSC06217.jpg

DSC06206.jpg

Almost all of the bodywork is white resin, apart from some detail panels and the doors.

Chassis (with molded-in chassis tubes.....)

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8347.jpg

IMG_8345.jpg

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8353.jpg

There's a fair bit to be getting on with there, sorting and straightening before you even start to clean up the white metal.

I'll stick around and keep an eye on this one it looks good.

• Like 1

So, having separated all the parts into sub assemblies that more-or-less corresponded with the instruction manual, I made a start on the engine.

There are some amazing WIP's on this car or similar on various forums, which make great reference material.

As with many of these kits, the engine ends up being totally hidden in the chassis - and this one even more so as it has resin shrouds over it, as it is air cooled.

So I have chosen to substitute cast in fitting details only where they will be visible.

Here we go...

IMG_8865.jpg

IMG_8868.jpg

12 cylinders.

IMG_8869.jpg

Quick balancing act...

IMG_8881.jpg

Drilling out all the holes for components or detail fittings.

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8887.jpg

Unlike with the MP4/4 engine, this time I have got hold of some metal etch primer (Tamiya) and am using that on all the metal parts, before priming with the grey fine surface primer where applicable.

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8895_1.jpg

DSC06480.jpg

DSC06486.jpg

Of course once again, you can't resist trying to fit everything together to see what it will look like - even though there is tons of painting to do before gluing anything together - and time time time - lack of it!

DSC06497.jpg

DSC06500.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

IMG_8912.jpg

IMG_8900.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg

There's a fair bit to be getting on with there, sorting and straightening before you even start to clean up the white metal.
I'll stick around and keep an eye on this one it looks good.

Hell yeah! Hope to spray some colour this weekend!

Etch priming lost of engine parts...

IMG_9110.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

• Like 4

That is where I am so far - last night I drilled the tiny holes on the spark plug covers for the ignition wires, and as I say - hope to get a bit of quality time to start applying some colour and assembling parts!

One choice is engine colour - I have seen a few builds with quite bright blocks and cylinders, but in reality the engines seem to be quite dark - MFH suggests a sort of iron colour, with gearbox semi-gloss black with a hint of metallic - I think a lot of contemporary photos of these engines (during restoration etc) show aged blocks, with patina and oxidization - I know my own 4 cylinder air cooled engine is not bright anymore! (68 VW campervan) - to be honest, although I want high detail, I am not anal about perfect colour matching of unseen components to exact chassis numbers etc - but I want it to look good!

It'll be a build to enjoy watching come together though, I don't usually look in this section but I am a huge fan of Porsches, I have two of the Tamiya 1/12th kits...just no time for them.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost of this...? I could be very tempted.

Interesting kit. Lots of work to do to get this together.

I will be following how you progress with it.

Looking really good so far.

Not cheap Radleigh, have got the Ferrari, and to be honest too scared to start it, but hoping to pick up a lot of tips from this wip, but someone with more experience of them than me.

A lot of work gone into the preparation before you primed here caterhamnut :goodjob:

Etch primer? never used it, can you explain the advantages of it (and what it actually is) .

I have (for some reason) a bottle of this. is it the same as the tamiya stuff?

26316909865_0f94248b50_b.jpg

do you do anything else to prepare the white metal?

Thanks guys - I'll try and answer your questions....

Those zip ties are interesting (clamping bands, tie wraps, whatever you like to call them). How do they look close up and personal? I have several possible uses...

Thanks.

I'll open and take some more pictures, but they look cool - fully working, in black and white.

IMG_8336.jpg

• Like 1

It'll be a build to enjoy watching come together though, I don't usually look in this section but I am a huge fan of Porsches, I have two of the Tamiya 1/12th kits...just no time for them.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost of this...? I could be very tempted.

- expensive! Can't get away from the fact that they are a lot of money, especially the 1/12 scale kits.

I can justify in all sorts of ways, but it is individual! Exchange rates make a big difference - right now whilst I'm in the States, they range from $500-700 plus (1/12) - BUT...the Tamiya Caterham kits I am making now retail for similar on eBay now. For ME, the enjoyment is in the building, and in terms of time, this will take ages....

I'm crap at saving - no kids etc, and in NYC, so not spending money on 'real' car back in UK - you guys know how man-maths works!

Sadly, these kits are also addictive. I've bought a few (WIP of MP4/4 on here), and I just know that I'll also get the Alfa 159 when it is released this month, because it will be a stunning kit.

Like many kits, you can build out of the box, and it will be stunning - or you can add even more detail, nuts and bolts etc. If you look at the Tamiya kits, such as the MP4/6 1/12 car - by the time you purchase all the 'extra' detail kits such as the recent Studio 7 boxes, you are easily spending more than these MFH kits...

Don't be afraid of them though - they are very nice to work with - sure there is more 'fiddling and fettling' but nothing much more than patient filing and sanding - with a bit of bending!

Note - I am also new to these kits...I've started a few at the same time, but these are the first mixed-media kits I have made, and really apart from the Caterhams I am building, I have not made plastic kits since I was about 15 - add 30 years to that now!

The Internet has made a huge difference - in terms of shopping for stuff I never knew existed, but also in terms of forum's like this one and similar - f1m.com for example - there are some stunning WIP and finished threads on all sorts of models, I just read and study them, and it is amazing the tips that you can pick up from the amazingly skilled model makers in line.

It is - after all - just a matter of trimming, sanding, priming and glueing! We can all do that! It takes time, for sure - and you could 'research' for years if you wanted to - but after a while you just want to start making something...

The bits that scare me with these builds is the paint...can go wrong so easily - but again, there are talented people giving their tips and experience on here for nothing - read, learn - and try!

But in terms of putting these bits together - nothing weird or strange of much different from plastic kits....I'm sure individual, or older kits may be different, but the ones I have go together great (so far - I'll change my mind when I try and make the front wing of Lewis Hamiltons McLaren MP4/23, which consists of about 6 slightly bent thin bits of white metal!)

I'll gladly photograph and tell you about how I am doing MY kit - but people will have different techniques and ideas - I'll learn from many I am sure - but please, don't be scared by these kits!

On to specifics....

I am using a Dremel with a low speed, BRASS wire wheel on the white metal in these newer kits. It cleans the metal up nicely without marking...maybe have a look at my MP4/4 WIP for more detail on these early stages...can't link here, but it is recent and easy to find...

On the MP4/4 engine, I just primed with Tamiya fine surface primer - and it is great, but can chip and peel from the polished metal easily.

Best to use a metal primer - such as the spray can from Tamiya (which seems to be a bugger to get hold of over here) - this is what I mean by etch primer, because the primer (I assume) chemically bonds itself to the metal, to for a stronger hold...it stinks by the way - I have then used the grey surface primer over the top of this metal primer (which is clear) - I'll assume it gives me a stronger bond - but we'll see.

I have not used the Mr Hobby stuff pictured above, but I would assume this is just the same but brush on...

One thing - with these multi-media kits, it IS important to trial fit everything - holes need drilling out (but are almost always marked)

I'm hoping to start painting and assembling bits tomorrow....I've started to treat each bit as a separate sub-assembly - much less daunting to start if you say 'I'm going to make this one brake corner, I'm going to take it real slow, look at loads of pictures, not rush etc...

Compared to engineering a small,steam engine, or even building a tiny intricate 1/43rd race car, or the incredible model aircraft we see on here - I genuinely think anyone reading this who 'plays' with models will be able to build a stunning car from these MFH kits, right out-of-the-box. The kits are complete - amazing wheels and tires, full decals, PE parts, turned parts etc etc - and detailed (except some of the bloody packaging) - but you also have the ability to add your own touch - more detail, paint etc etc...totally up to you...

So I'd love you to follow this, maybe even be inspired like I am by other WIP's to give it a go - and I also hope to,learn from the many people with far more experience and skill than me, who I hope will add to this thread, and the others I have/will start!

What a model, a friend recently told me of his love of the 917, so I showed him the MFH photo's of this kit, the lattice framework is extraordinarily detailed and looked stunning. I shall be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Just to stick my nose in with the priming discussions, ever since my figure painting days I had to be so careful when painting white metal, one knock and it would chip. Citadel used to do a small pot called smelly primer which worked for me but that was discontinued years ago and was brush applied. I have now found Halfords sell an etching primer in a rattle can, it comes out grey, stinks and have only started using it but so far, no chips.

Regards

John

Very interested in the mp4/4 wip as I have the tamiya 1/20 one and the top studio hobby upgrades. I'll be following it to pick up on some details I can transfer over to the smaller scale.

Compared to engineering a small,steam engine, or even building a tiny intricate 1/43rd race car, or the incredible model aircraft we see on here - I genuinely think anyone reading this who 'plays' with models will be able to build a stunning car from these MFH kits, right out-of-the-box. The kits are complete - amazing wheels and tires, full decals, PE parts, turned parts etc etc - and detailed (except some of the bloody packaging) - but you also have the ability to add your own touch - more detail, paint etc etc...totally up to you...

So I'd love you to follow this, maybe even be inspired like I am by other WIP's to give it a go - and I also hope to,learn from the many people with far more experience and skill than me, who I hope will add to this thread, and the others I have/will start!

Agree with you on the packaging, also it takes an age sorting everything out as it's all cling filmed together in the box.

I know it could be classed as part of the enjoyment sorting the bits out but not for me

Just a note on etch primers, they are designed to "etch" into the metal at a microscopic level, usually via an acid present in the primer. This then gives you a stable base to go over with other primers and paints which should not lift or flake so readily due to the bond formed in the etch process.

• Like 1

Right- progress...I've chosen to go for the 'brown' look on the engine - most of the pictures show this - it is a sort of 'glaze' that I recognize on my old VW engine - like an un-polished casting, with oxidization, fuel varnish etc etc - I am sure that is not WHY it is that color, but best way to describe...

A few ref images:

Capture3%20-%20Copy.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture.jpg

- you can see the main crank case colour, the cam shaft 'top' of the engine (either side on this boxer-style engine) and also the slightly lighter top/side pieces that are below the air intake trumpets.

I had to mix the paint - a mix of iron, gun metal, bronze, black, white etc etc - until it looked about right. The gearbox is a much darker paint finish - semi-gloss black/gun metal.

• Like 1

First layer was too metallic and 'bronze' - it was trial and error to be honest, and I'm still tweaking it with shading, more spray, buffing, pastels etc etc!

I really don't think there is a 'right' colour on these - every car looks different. All I know is that I haven't seen any 'polished' ali castings.

IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9125.jpg

- the last photo shows the pieces between the inlet trumpets and the cylinder heads - a bit lighter than the main parts. These other bits needed to be dulled down a bit.

DSC06509.jpg

...a bit better.

I decided to leave the cylinder heads themselves unfinished - before use they are polished (fin edges) or dull ali colour. It gives a nice colour contrast as well - even though they will all be covered up ultimately!

DSC06513.jpg

I did apply a liberal black wash to darken them and define the fins a bit more.

More test fitting...

DSC06522.jpg

There is a lot of lining up to do at this point...12 cylinder heads glues into the main casing, then the cam cases need to fit on the other end at a later stage...top tip is to dry-fit the part that goes on top - sort of inlet manifold I guess - which fixes into each cylinder head - this will space and line them all up correctly.

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

• Like 4