BBY- 1/144 U-Boot Rising from the waves

OK calling this one done unless you have any suggestions on what can be added to help improve this cheap kit

This is the Revell 1/144 scale V/11C U-Boot the kit is out of the box only add on was the rigging for which I used Ushi elastic thread because it was fine and in scale compared to the stuff in the box

The inspiration for this build was a photo and cap badge replica that I was given a couple of years ago by a friend and his young son at my local model club.

IMG_0065_zps5c60ciad.jpg

IMG_0060_zpsdxq2cgev.jpg

IMG_0061_zpsijfubnep.jpg

IMG_0062_zpsotbjnurl.jpg

IMG_0063_zpsjgsq4fmv.jpg

IMG_0064_zpsddsgiwnx.jpg

IMG_0065_zpsqo4kxi9n.jpg

IMG_0066_zpshpyukede.jpg

IMG_0067_zpsgfwcsnb6.jpg

Cheers for looking in

Beefy

• Like 40

The Water is made mostly from clear silicone sealer the cheap stuff from the local DIY store

there is an explanation in the work in progress section under the same heading

Cheers Beefy

Cracking job beefy awesome seascape.

One suggestion would be to darken the flood holes as they were open to the interior and are visibly darker in photos.

Useful link;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149950

All the best Chris

• Like 1

That wave just coming up the stern reminds me of looking out of the window of the winch control room of a Type 23 just as the quaterdeck is about to get goffered. I don't think I could manage that water detail so I'll stick to the real thing.

Cracking build as ever

• Like 1

Spot on there mate, another nautical masterpiece.

I have had the pleasure of seeing this wonderful piece of work from the start 'in the flesh' to almost completion.

It is amazing what you can get a blob of silicone sealant to do!

Magnificent job

Cheers

K

• Like 1

Fantastic diorama again Beefy, your seascape is exceptional! I managed to miss your build thread somehow, so just searched it out to read all the way through. Could I ask what tools you use to apply the silicone to make the sea?

Cracking work again!

Keith

• Like 1

Dreadful weather in your part of the North Atlantic Keith :winkgrin:

Another master class mate, looks really amazing. Only thing I think needs attention is adding some crew members to the bridge

just to show what a miserable time the crews had on these little ships.

I am really curious what your next project will be,

Julian :bye:

That is one build that oozes quality ..

Love it matey :)

Dan

Cracking job beefy awesome seascape.

One suggestion would be to darken the flood holes as they were open to the interior and are visibly darker in photos.

Useful link;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149950

All the best Chris

Thanks lads will get onto that Chris will use a fine liner pen to color the dark areas of the drain hole

That wave just coming up the stern reminds me of looking out of the window of the winch control room of a Type 23 just as the quaterdeck is about to get goffered. I don't think I could manage that water detail so I'll stick to the real thing.

Cracking build as ever

I bet that was possibly one of the most disliked details on the quarterdeck Darby

Spot on there mate, another nautical masterpiece.

I have had the pleasure of seeing this wonderful piece of work from the start 'in the flesh' to almost completion.

It is amazing what you can get a blob of silicone sealant to do!

Magnificent job

Cheers

K

Cheers Keith :blush: you need to get more of your armor builds posted up mate

Beefy

Fantastic diorama again Beefy, your seascape is exceptional! I managed to miss your build thread somehow, so just searched it out to read all the way through. Could I ask what tools you use to apply the silicone to make the sea?

Cracking work again!

Keith

Keith seems this is a very popular name among us modelers :winkgrin:

These are the tools I use for making the seascape and no I,am not being rude with the finger I use this for spreading and stippling the silicone

Silicone sealer and gun

deluxe Materials making waves

PVA glue

spatula

cocktail stick

Halfords clear coat lacquer

Flat head paint brush

IMG_0085_zpso6bxk5tu.jpg

Beefy

• Like 2

Dreadful weather in your part of the North Atlantic Keith :winkgrin:

Another master class mate, looks really amazing. Only thing I think needs attention is adding some crew members to the bridge

just to show what a miserable time the crews had on these little ships.

I am really curious what your next project will be,

Julian :bye:

Was not to sure about any crew Julian with the boat sort of just coming out of the water would they have been able to get out there that quick might have a look at my local railway store to see if i can get some to use on this

and thank you all for your kind word and compliments on this project :blush::blink::unsure:

As for my next project will be getting a Sherman tank built to give me a bit of a change then for the next ship build I have a modern US navy ship a Trumpeter USS Independance

this will give me a bit more practice with the dreaded photo etch before I get back on with my long build of the Tamiya KGV that has been stalled for quite a while now :rolleyes:B)

Beefy

• Like 1

Keith seems this is a very popular name among us modelers :winkgrin:

These are the tools I use for making the seascape and no I,am not being rude with the finger I use this for spreading and stippling the silicone

Silicone sealer and gun

deluxe Materials making waves

PVA glue

spatula

cocktail stick

Halfords clear coat lacquer

Flat head paint brush

IMG_0085_zpso6bxk5tu.jpg

Beefy

Thanks Keith

Keith! :)

• Like 1

Was not to sure about any crew Julian with the boat sort of just coming out of the water would they have been able to get out there that quick might have a look at my local railway store to see if i can get some to use on this

and thank you all for your kind word and compliments on this project :blush::blink::unsure:

As for my next project will be getting a Sherman tank built to give me a bit of a change then for the next ship build I have a modern US navy ship a Trumpeter USS Independance

this will give me a bit more practice with the dreaded photo etch before I get back on with my long build of the Tamiya KGV that has been stalled for quite a while now :rolleyes:B)

Beefy

Photo etch will be a pussy compared to a realistic seascape Keith.

:winkgrin:

• Like 1

Photo etch will be a pussy compared to a realistic seascape Keith.

:winkgrin:

Glad you think so Julian I have no problems playing with Silicone and making a mess :wicked:

but Photo Etch always gives me a bit of a headache :shrug: think I just need more practice

So a £15 cheap 1/350 kit with PE will do for me for now so I can get a bit more confidence when working with the stuff

I have been investing in some new tools from the small shop a 5 inch hold and fold and a rolling tool to do the curves on some of the railings

So these may help me now :confused:

Beefy

• Like 1

She really is riding the waves Beefy. All you need now is a 1/144 Jurgen Pruchnow holding on tight in the conning tower. An image I'll never forget from 'Das Boot' and the wonderful music that went with it. Brilliant stuff ! :goodjob:

BillyD

• Like 2