1/48 - E.E. Canberra B(I)6/B.20/T.4 by Airfix (re-issue) - released - new boxing

Homebee

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Are the dayglo stripes included in the transfer sheet.

Not having the original release, does the T.4 have the unique canopy option?

Trevor

It looks as though the dayglo areas are included as part of the decal sheet Trevor.

The canopy is one of the weak points of the kit and would benefit from the Alley Cat resin replacement.

Chris.

7 hours ago, WV908 said:
11 hours ago, Irish 251 said:

Am I correct in understanding that the T.4 will be a bomber version whose nose the modeller overpaints?

It says so in the specification for the scheme.

This means the cockpit will be wrong as well as the T.4 had dual controls and a seat to the left of the pilot's position.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

This set is probably not a bad investment if wanting to do a T.4... Bonus point is it corrects the canopy as well.

If the new release  includes the T4 then just the canopy will be needed as the solid nose will be in the kit surely.

16 minutes ago, stringbag said:

If the new release  includes the T4 then just the canopy will be needed as the solid nose will be in the kit surely.

I'm afraid not, the painting guide makes mention to paint over the clear nose. 

52 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm afraid not, the painting guide makes mention to paint over the clear nose. 

15 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

I hope you are right but don’t share your optimism...

Just had another look and that would appear to be the case. Bit of a cheap trick in my opinion as it's not really a solution.  Thankfully I have the T4 conversion in the stash.

Cheers Fellas.

Chris.

Oh dear, what can we say? a T.4 with an over painted optical flat window, albeit a too small and not flat enough one, with the pitot in the wrong place, on the plus side(ish) the extra DV window now comes into play, unfortunately there will be no one to look through it. One thing they could have done is cut the B.57B nose from that kit and score the fuselage where it needs to be cut, like they have with other kits, that wouldn't be 100% but it would be better than what they have given us. Even the kit seats which are one of the good things about the kit will now be wrong.  I think I understand why they want for a T.4 as an option. seeing as almost every one who flew Canberra's must have had some time on the T.4, but to do it in such a sloppy half hearted way is an insult. It wouldn't surprise me if they tell you to hang SA.30's under the wings and fit a full load in the bomb bay too! 

John  

spacer.png

• Like 4

I've just found this photo of WJ870 it doesn't quite match what the kit looks like, I think it must be the same time period as it has the silver(?) engin fronts.

spacer.png

Another odd thing, is WT309 was used for weapons trials yet not even an underwing pylon! 

John 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I just wish Airfix would lay this kit to rest, as long as they keep reissuing it no one else will do it.  Definitely a 'B team' effort, even for its time.

Agreed James, I always hoped Revell would have a stab at a Canberra, but that would most likely be 1/72 if they did, but still we can live in hope. As for a B team effort, I was told the guy that was given the job was a Scalelextric man and this was the first aircraft he'd done, done being the opritive word!

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So no starboard ejection seat for the instructor, I recall that this modification to fit a second front ejection seat meant that it had to pivot forward at the bottom to allow the navigator access /egress to the rear compartment, cosy. :whistle:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

So no starboard ejection seat for the instructor, I recall that this modification to fit a second front ejection seat meant that it had to pivot forward at the bottom to allow the navigator access /egress to the rear compartment, cosy. :whistle:

Not quite: the seat was pivoted near the top.  For the navigator to get in or out the bottom of the ejection gun was unlocked from the cockpit floor and the bottom of the seat was swung forward, the navigator crawled under it to get to or from his seat.  Once the navy had completed this manoeuvre the base of the seat was swung back and (usually) the pupil pilot squeezed past between seat and right-hand control column  to get in or out.  The instructor had, therefore to be last in or first out although I believe it was possible for the instructor to remain in his seat whilst pupil pilots got in and out which must have done wonders for the lineys’ arm muscles.  I stand to be erected on this though.

It’s a crying shame that Airfix have chosen to re-release this kit in this form, it really is a long way from being one of their best efforts.  There are too many errors in shape and detail that should not have been made, especially when, despite the best efforts of the Misery of Disarmament’s award-winning team of bean-counters, there are still plenty of Canberras around to be subjected to the LIDAR treatment.  Maybe they’ll completely re-tool the Canberra in time for the 80th anniversary of the first flight in 2029. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

Agreed James, I always hoped Revell would have a stab at a Canberra, but that would most likely be 1/72 if they did, but still we can live in hope. As for a B team effort, I was told the guy that was given the job was a Scalelextric man and this was the first aircraft he'd done, done being the opritive word!

John

Revell would most likely do 1/72 if at all. Not much home use for them. Though in 1/72 I like the S&M /Mikro Mir ones, now I have built one I know how to approach the other 4 I have :) 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Not quite: the seat was pivoted near the top.

Sorry I did not make it clear, yes the pivot point was at the top of the seat to allow the seat pan to swing forward to allow the Nav in or out.  Like all the Canberras with this "bubble" canopy, when fitting the front ejection seats they had to be taken through the door in parts and assembled and armed in situ.  No wonder I was so skinny when I worked on them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Sorry I did not make it clear, yes the pivot point was at the top of the seat to allow the seat pan to swing forward to allow the Nav in or out.  Like all the Canberras with this "bubble" canopy, when fitting the front ejection seats they had to be taken through the door in parts and assembled and armed in situ.  No wonder I was so skinny when I worked on them.

I should apologise to you Bob; I didn’t know that you had first hand, hands on experience of Canberras.  I’ve only ever looked at them and relied on what I’ve learned from people like yourself who’ve walked the walk.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stever219 said:

There are too many errors in shape and detail that should not have been made, especially when, despite the best efforts of the Misery of Disarmament’s award-winning team of bean-counters, there are still plenty of Canberras around to be subjected to the LIDAR treatment.

The Airfix Canberra's considerably predated their use of LIDAR to make surface scans of potential kit subjects.

LIDAR has naff all to do with it, the  Canberra kit came out 10 years after their Lightning and late Spitfire kits, and not long before the Sea Vixen kit, all of which are light years ahead in terms of research and production finesse.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, 71chally said:

LIDAR has naff all to do with it, the  Canberra kit came out 10 years after their Lightning and late Spitfire kits, and not long before the Sea Vixen kit, all of which are light years ahead in terms of research and production finesse.

Spot on James. It's not like it was still classified, it was just sloppy work on someone's part.

John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Spot on James. It's not like it was still classified, it was just sloppy work on someone's part.

Unfortunately I cannot see any one else making one, so unless Airfix are willing to spend the money to re-tool it and with their current attitude of bang the old molding out as a T4, without making any of the changes required, I don't hold out any hope of that happening.

I think Airfix have messed up here.... another missed chance... B2 based T4 nose was completely different profile. Twin front seats are very visable through canopy with 2x clear vision panels.....

Crewing up was a pain, went something like this....remove elevator lock, push instructors stick forward and fit coloum lock to hold it in place. Swing seat to rear position, then help trainee into left hand seat. Swing seat to front position and push Nav into rear compartment. Swing seat to rear position again. Help instructor to strap in, with seat at angle.  Get trainee to hold control coloum forward and then remove lock. Finally  swing seat to centre position, which was the normal flying position.....most lineys developed strong left arms.... very awkward to do right handed...

I joined 231 OCT when they arrived at Marham, late 75 or early 76... we had 4x T4s, 1x B2(T), and 1x bog standard B2... fun times !!!

Cheers

Dave...😎