1/72 Rareplanes PBM Mariner GR1

My first vac-form kit is finally finished! a tribute to the late Gordon Stevens as part of a group build on HyperScale:

Britmodeller build log can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997838-172-rareplanes-pbm-mariner-gr1/

P1100873_zpso7psjo5j.jpg

P1100863_zpshfn0zdx7.jpg

P1100863_zpshfn0zdx7.jpg

P1100864_zps8qrzmc71.jpg

P1100865_zps86i9sylv.jpg

P1100866_zpslkm2wd4u.jpg

P1100867_zps7rocceim.jpg

P1100868_zpshw0be2c0.jpg

P1100869_zpsfrqn3qzj.jpg

P1100870_zpskmthhyrl.jpg

P1100871_zpsyosswfrh.jpg

P1100872_zpsxgexbq69.jpg

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 44

Excellent!

Many efforts done to vacu kit but results is really moving :)

In WIP thread you had a questions on comparing Rareplane with Minicraft PBM. There is also Mach 2 kit - also a challanging one. Any comments on shape accuracy in case of Mach 2?

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

You've done a wonderful job with this. It's great to see a vacform kit finished with this degree of finesse.

I know that there are certain vacform companies that can "challenge" you, to say the least, but I've always found the Rareplanes kits, produced by Gordon Stevens, a pleasure to work with.

Once again, Well Done with the Mariner and Thank You for sharing the build with us.

Excellent!

Many efforts done to vacu kit but results is really moving :)

In WIP thread you had a questions on comparing Rareplane with Minicraft PBM. There is also Mach 2 kit - also a challanging one. Any comments on shape accuracy in case of Mach 2?

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thanks Jerzy-Wojtek,

I have only read a couple of reviews of the Mach 2, but I have never seen it in the plastic, so I can't really comment with any certainty. However, looking at images of Mach 2's sprues the shape and proportions appear very similar to Rareplanes, so maybe the used Rareplanes as a basis for theirs, or maybe the same plans. With this in mind I think the comments I made about Rareplanes v Minicraft may apply to Mach 2 v Minicraft.

• Like 1

You've done a wonderful job with this. It's great to see a vacform kit finished with this degree of finesse.

I know that there are certain vacform companies that can "challenge" you, to say the least, but I've always found the Rareplanes kits, produced by Gordon Stevens, a pleasure to work with.

Once again, Well Done with the Mariner and Thank You for sharing the build with us.

Thanks Chris,

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this come together and the result is stunning.

I'm a massive fan of vacform and really enjoy the extra challenges. As demonstrated here, with a bit of old fashioned modelling these can be over come and a superb result achieved.

I'm so glad you've shown that kits of this genre actually build into a better representation of the real thing than an injection counterpart could - bravo!

Hopefully you'll inspire others to turn to the 'dark side' ;-)

What a beautiful model.

Tom

Thanks to everyone above for you compliments, it's doubly rewarding to find my build has inspired others. I may do another myself, but I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for another vac-form kit, as I only have a Proteus Convair 440 which just has a vac-formed fuselage, the rest being resin or white-metal. Broplan does a lot of interesting subjects, but can anybody please tell me how they rate? say compared to Rareplanes. Thanks.

Very very nice indeed,......having built this model myself I can understand how much work has gone into it and I love the RAF scheme,.......simply superb and a great tribute to your friend,

Cheers

Tony

Very very nice indeed,......having built this model myself I can understand how much work has gone into it and I love the RAF scheme,.......simply superb and a great tribute to your friend,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I should explain that Gordon Stevens was not my friend, although I would very much liked to have met him. He founded Rareplanes and led the vac-from kit revolution, not only through his own company which established the benchmark for such kits, but also helped others into the industry with advice and design/tooling assistance. He was a sad loss last year to the modelling fraternity, and so the 1/72 group build forum on HyperScale decided on a tribute build involving any of Gordon's kits.

• Like 1

A super build that Mark, totally top of the line. I reckon Mr Stevens would be really chuffed with how it has turned out. I dealt with him a few times as a young guy & he came across as a really nice genuine sort of guy, all I've heard since has not altered that opinion one iota.

Steve

Broplan are good kits, in my opinion they are in the same league

I would have to respectfully disagree.

The BroPlan plastic is so thin you sand through it in no time at all, and I don't think their mouldings, surface details or general fit are anywhere near as crisp or good as RarePlanes stuff. I may well have seen some duds, but in my humble opinion BroPlan are not in the same league as RarePlanes.

Granted, they do some fascinating subjects though!

Tom