Ferrari 312T4

I've been building up to this one for as while, the good lady bought me this kit the Christmas before last, there has been a few threads in the past on hear but nobody has seemed to make it much past the cockpit and front suspension phases.

As mentioned during my 126C2 WIP, I'm not a Ferrari fan, but I have to admit they do make a beautiful car, this T4 being one of the finest in my opinion.

IMG_3300_zpsovmuv1gd.jpg

This is my first MFH kit and was daunted as soon as I opened the box, the amount of unreferenced white metal parts was a bit of an eye opener to say the least and I wasn't really up to the task last year.

IMG_0983_zpseks5bcxe.jpg

I had prematurely made a start last year and made a complete tosh of the tube, personally I'm not convinced with polishing the large tub section, I gave it an inadequate polish and in haste before any clear coat began adding other white metal and PE parts. This is when I stopped, I knew I was out of my depth.

IMG_3298_zpsubl3or4f.jpg

The 126C2 was a spur and exercise leading up to making a start back on the T4, and enjoyed every minute of it, I now have an airbrush and have had some limited experience with it, I used Xtreme Polished Aluminium and Chrome on the C2 with some success and an seriously vying away from the polishing route and onto spraying.

IMG_3296_zpstlgp9soi.jpg

While I'm contemplating this I thought I would make a start with the engine block, gearbox and rear suspension, the all parts fitted well to be honest with only the rear wishbone needing some adjustment. I know it is suggested dry fixing everything prior to gluing, which I haven't done to be honest but there was only one way of fixing the wishbone and will be hoping to test fix other sections of the rear suspension once this section is completed. So it all may come back and bite me. All parts seen were polished and washed prior to gluing and were given a couple of coats of Halfords etching primer prior to further spraying.

IMG_3297_zpsxyebylaq.jpg

This is a hell of a step up from the Fujimi kit and I still not convinced that I'm up too it yet but I've got to do it at some point and the thought of decaling up that gorgeous bodywork is enough of an incentive.

Regards

John

• Like 3

I'll be watching this closely with envy as this was on my list of kits I wanted up until recently when I couldn't find it anywhere.

Looks like alot of polishing will be required for that tub

Shaun

Good on yer John.

This is quite a bit more complicated than the 126C2 but it should be very detailed and pretty accurate. Judging by your last build, I reckon you'll be fine with spraying the tub.

I see you have the Monaco version with the smaller front wing & wide rear wing. I've got a few pics from contemporary magazines if you get stuck for 'em.

Who's car will you builds it as?

Phil

I'll be watching this closely with envy as this was on my list of kits I wanted up until recently when I couldn't find it anywhere.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, I got this one from Hiroboy in the autumn of 2014 from 'Five Diamonds' on ebay and I knew they were getting short on the ground then. There still come up occasionally on ebay, but not sure on the price.

Polishing! I know you enjoy that side what with the reflective finish on your motors but it's not for me (probably why I lean to the 70's and 80's cars). That being said I was up to 11.30 last night cleaning/polishing some incredibly small white metal parts then gave the a clear coat and was somewhat surprised by the outcome, I will still spray the tub though. Probably!

Good on yer John.

This is quite a bit more complicated than the 126C2 but it should be very detailed and pretty accurate. Judging by your last build, I reckon you'll be fine with spraying the tub.

I see you have the Monaco version with the smaller front wing & wide rear wing. I've got a few pics from contemporary magazines if you get stuck for 'em.

Who's car will you builds it as?

Phil

Thanks again Phil, it is a hell of a lot more detailed, the number of parts and trying to find them from the picture is all new to me but still enjoyable. The only problem is I left my opened box on the sofa for 30 seconds to come back to my 4 month old Dachshund pup rooting through some of my white metal parts, I don't think he had any but still checking when I clean the patio.

There was no particular reason why I went for the Monaco version, unlike the C4 I know very little about the individual races in 79, all that I do know is Scheckter seemed to run away with it but Villeneuve seems to have more of a cult following (quicker, more passionate, never won the world championship, passed away far to early? I'm not sure. I really got into F1 in 83/84). If it was France I would have gone for Villeneuve but as it's Monaco I will be going for Scheckter's car.

I'll take you up on the photo's Phil, if you don't mind, any reference would be gratefully accepted. Do you want me to message you or will you post on thread?

Regards

John

Just a quickie, the engine parts are ready (with exception to 2 tiny pieces I seem to have missed from the instructions), primed and clear coated ready for the suitable wash or dry brushing to give it a light tarnish.

IMG_3397_zpsgqyfjq2v.jpg

All the small silver parts were just brush polished and clear coated, the instructions did say to paint silver but although I was dubious at first they have come out rather good, I think the important thing is to seal it as soon as Its been polished, washed and dried. The gold pieces were primed with Etching primer, gloss black undercoat, a 50/50 gold silver mix with the airbrush and finished with a matt varnish.

I haven't added the PE parts in the photo as they'll go on the final fit as I didn't want to loose anything.

Anyway, next post should be the completed engine, with a bit of luck.

Regards

John

Shaun

They do come up on ebay, got mine from here last year, but they have jumped in price since then

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Factory-Hiro-1-20-Ferrari-312-T4-/201550623354?hash=item2eed5a727a:g:ShUAAOSwQjNW-UmJ

• Like 1