Crusader Mk.III / British Cruiser Tank Mk.VI - Tamiya 1/48

Crusader Mk.III / British Cruiser Tank Mk.VI

T126799 - 6th Armoured Division - Tunisia

Kit: 1/48 Tamiya

Paints: Humbrol and Revell - all applied by brush.

The tank is built OOB but I have added some stowage items

WIP: Here

This tank was built for the Made in Britain Group Build and was great fun to make. I had originally planned on making a base for it but my commitments in other GBs means I'm not going to get time - so the photos here are ones I took after I'd finished the tank a while back.

25625617004_4c16b04644_c.jpg

25627706363_dc08f22510_c.jpg

25625616864_daec6c913b_c.jpg

26204440406_84ff640528_c.jpg

26204440246_9d35c8d022_c.jpg

26164079401_c88dc860f2_c.jpg

26137921342_3b413a09ea_c.jpg

25627706483_3e551d1f46_c.jpg

26204441356_441b461595_c.jpg

25625618564_5994289690_c.jpg

25627707053_1f83d8522b_c.jpg

25957479370_e13a6e09d8_c.jpg

26204441576_2811c288f0_c.jpg

25627707253_39902526ab_c.jpg

25627707523_5c3a2695f5_c.jpg

26230374635_9271432da8_c.jpg

25625619364_5a5ab58e05_c.jpg

25957481300_0a8ff3ef6f_c.jpg

25627707633_fe0ca84dae_c.jpg

Troy Smith posted a photo for me in my WIP thread of one of the actual Crusader tanks. Thank you Troy! The original photo (below) is from Wikipedia and was taken by Sgt. Lambert of No.1 Army Film & Photographic Unit and shows a British Army Crusader Mk III tank in North Africa in 1943. Wikipedia says the image is in the public domain but if there are any issues with me including it here then I can remove it. The original image can be found on this page.

24269632213_9b26fec2d0_z.jpg

I have edited one of the photos above to make it lighter and black and white:

26242130326_09a35c8aec_c.jpg

I reckon Tamiya have done a pretty good job with this kit.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix
Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 26

A fabulous build Stix and even more so as it's been brush painted, very impressive indeed!! :thumbsup::coolio:

I've never built a 1:48 AFV before, always 1:35 but some of these new releases from the likes of Tamiya et al look almost as detailed as the bigger scale - time to buy one or two 1:48 kits I think and this one looks like a good starting point - thanks for the inspiration!! :thumbsup:

Kev :)

• Like 1

nice tin can, l like the extra equippment

:thumbsup:

Thank you Reini! I always think a bit of stowage adds something to a tank build.

Very,Very nice.

Thank you very much Fredben.

Love it. Very nice shading and highlighting.

Thank you for your kind comments Ian.

Superb job!

Cheers

Thank you Carius!

Well done :goodjob:

Thank you Ratch - most kind!

Very nice weathering, and pretty equippment too, cheers mate

Thank you too Francis, for your kind comments.

Spot on old chum.

Be proud of that

:goodjob::speak_cool::thumbsup::worthy::wub::clap2: .

Thank you very much Alex! I was pleased with how this turned out - but the result was definitely helped how good the kit is - it's beautifully made and detailed and the fit was great!

Really nice is that.

Just goes to show how good those AFV kits are. :goodjob:

Thank you very much Dick and I totally agree - these 1/48 Tamiya AFV kits are a joy to build.

That's brush painted? What a corker of a finish with a hairy stick! :thumbsup2:

Thank you Foghorn and it certainly is!

Thank you all for the very kind comments - I will continue in the post below!

Said it before, but that's wonderful. Well done Stix.

Thank you Badder - you are most kind!

That's the second cracking Crusader I've seen this week, lovely job.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete!

Looks the business

Another great build Stix

Thank you too Yeoman for your kind comments.

Great job Stix :thumbsup:

Thank you Steve! :thumbsup:

A fabulous build Stix and even more so as it's been brush painted, very impressive indeed!! :thumbsup::coolio:

I've never built a 1:48 AFV before, always 1:35 but some of these new releases from the likes of Tamiya et al look almost as detailed as the bigger scale - time to buy one or two 1:48 kits I think and this one looks like a good starting point - thanks for the inspiration!! :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Thank you very much Kev. As I mentioned above - I think these Tamiya 1/48 kits are really great. The fit on the ones I have built has been excellent and the detail is excellent too. I'm certainly going to try and build some more. Hope you will post a WIP if/when you do make one.

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to comment.

Kind regards,

Stix

Excellent job Stix. I love these tanks, to me the Crusader just looks right.

I did the Airfix 1/32 kit recently and at first I had trouble finding info and photo's about the Crusader III which I was surprised as I thought there would be more knocking around. At first I didn't know where the exhausts were until one of the guys on the forum pointed them out on the rear hull either side of the towing eye by the tracks but I have noticed on the Tamiya kit they aren't there which is also right according to a "Polish" book of walkaround photo's I managed to find, so some Mk.III's had them and some didn't which was a bit confusing. The Airfix references had the exhaust pipes on the top engine deck but as I have said one of the guys pointed out they were for the oil bath air cleaners and never rusted. I think I will have to talk the wife into a visit to Bovington.

Anyway after seeing your excellent Tamiya Crusader I think I will try and get hold of one of these and I might get the Italeri as well.

• Like 1

Great job Stix

Thank you very much Calum.

Superb Crusader! It reminds me of the old 1/32 Airfix kit only a lot more detailed (being Tamiya). Amazing paint/weathering Stix, :goodjob::goodjob:

Hi Greg and thank you very much. Sunray (see below) recently upgraded the Airfix kit and it looks wonderful.

Excellent job Stix. I love these tanks, to me the Crusader just looks right.

I did the Airfix 1/32 kit recently and at first I had trouble finding info and photo's about the Crusader III which I was surprised as I thought there would be more knocking around. At first I didn't know where the exhausts were until one of the guys on the forum pointed them out on the rear hull either side of the towing eye by the tracks but I have noticed on the Tamiya kit they aren't there which is also right according to a "Polish" book of walkaround photo's I managed to find, so some Mk.III's had them and some didn't which was a bit confusing. The Airfix references had the exhaust pipes on the top engine deck but as I have said one of the guys pointed out they were for the oil bath air cleaners and never rusted. I think I will have to talk the wife into a visit to Bovington.

Anyway after seeing your excellent Tamiya Crusader I think I will try and get hold of one of these and I might get the Italeri as well.

Hi Sunray. Thank you very much for your comments and for the information about the exhausts - very intriguing! I haven't been to Bovington but I'd love to when I get chance.

Very nice, really like what you have done and the photo background sets it off brilliantly

Thank you for your very kind comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Stix, this one looks really good. I particularly like all of the fiddly stuff on top. Thanks for posting. Bob H.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob. Sorry for the late reply. Thank your kind comments. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of using more stowage items on my AFV builds. I was initially of the opinion that I'd put time into building and painting the kit itself and it seemed a shame to cover over all that work. However stowage does add an element of realism to the finished builds.

Kind regards,

Stix