Challenger 2 - Operation Telic 2003 (Tamiya 1/35)

Great work so far, I'm currently working on the Tamiya challenger 1 so am looking forward to the painting stage!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've finally got some paint on 11B.   The model was basecoated/preshaded/modulated with Tamiya Nato Green, Black Green, and Dark Green.   While I let this dry for a few days I mixed up my own British desert yellow sand color using about six different Tamiya paints until I got it just about right (to my eyes).   The model looks more green in these photos than it does in person, but my lighting wasn't cooperating today so I think that's the best I'll get for now.

I gave the model a coat of hairspray in the areas I would be depicting the scratches present in the photos of the real 11B.   I've viewed several hundred wartime photos of the Challenger 2 in Iraq over the course of this build and I've found that 11B appears to have the least amount of chipping and fading of any of the Challengers that served in Operation Telic 1.   This makes for somewhat of a boring model if weathering is everything to you, but I'm going for historical accuracy on this one rather than an attempt to use every weathering product in my modeling arsenal. 

Not surprisingly, something that was intended to be a quick project using a kit that essentially falls together has turned into a drawn out rivet counting fest.   I'm currently trying to decide if I should attempt to depict a few extra details such as:

1. A rectangular box mounted to the top of the right armor skirt  (The Eduard PE set supplies this)
2. The large camouflage tarp draped on the front and sides of the tank
3. An orange and white (air identification?) square draped on the rear of the turret
4. A canvas cover on the roll of wire near the jerry cans 

So unless I decide to add these extra details, my Challenger 2 is now painted and ready for the final weathering phases.   

DSCF6867_zpsvhs1llee.jpg~original

DSCF6917_zps7n7uchzy.jpg

DSCF6911_zpshnagwb6u.jpg~original

DSCF6972_zpsaql4lmni.jpg~original

DSCF6960_zpsmlkkurlt.jpg

DSCF6939_zps5vqbbqwh.jpg

DSCF6954_zpsxewjcwic.jpg

DSCF6930_zpsbgmpylx3.jpg

DSCF6928_zpsxxtxmzdh.jpg

DSCF6933_zpsxwk4qda2.jpg

DSCF6966_zpskqd6rpp0.jpg

Edited by OwenEldridge
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 11:42 AM, 4509davidb said:

Hi, Looking great - did you thin the Mr Surfacer 500 or just go neat?  I have a £10 airbrush waiting for to do this on my kit.  Thanks David

Used out of the bottle at 40 psi.    Here's an article explaining the technique: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=382

• Like 2